1. You have chosen to ignore posts from teacherinmass. Show teacherinmass's posts

Ear Infection? Ear Mites? Ear wax?

You all were so helpful before with my crating concerns and I'm hoping you can help with this issue as well.
    I think my dog is having issues with one of ears. I noticed about two weeks ago that she was scratching one year quite a bit. I used a damp paper towel to wipe some grass/dirt out of her ear and realized she had some brown stuff as well, which I assumed was wax, so I wiped what I could see out as well. I called the vet because I was worried, but they basically said that it was likely nothing and if the dog was no longer itching, all was probably fine. Fast forward to tonight, when we realize she is itching quite a bit. We checked and saw quite a bit more of the brown stuff and a few small red bumps. Her other ear is totally clear- no brown stuff, no bumps.
    Using the complete over kill of the internet, I'm thinking it is ear mites, though many places say it is uncommon for a dog to get mites in only one ear.
    I'm happy to take her to the vet if I need to, but should I try an ear clearner first? The vet seems to think I am a nervous nelly (ok, I am a nervous nelly), so I think they won't provide much help over the phone. i just don't want to do more harm than good.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Re: Ear Infection? Ear Mites? Ear wax?

Some breeds (poodles, shih tzus, pekes etc)  are more prone to having ear wax (brown gunk) buildup that can lead to irritation and infection.

So you'll need some ear drops/medication and ear cleaner solution or wipes, there are several good brands, some contain Pyethrins which will kill ear mites,   the one I'm using now is  Gold Medal  Herbal & Botanical  Ear Mite & Tick Control (contains Pyethrins),  I have three dogs, one only needs it once a month as a precaution the other two more like once a week, doing it too often could cause irritation.

The directions are on the label,  just put 3-4 fat drops in the ear with the dog's head tilted so the solution goes deep down, gently rub the ear, you'll hear the solution swish around,  VERY GENTLY insert a Q-tip into the ear canal follow the natural structure, carefully move the Q-tip around and bring up the gunk (this is how I do it, your vet may describe a different way as you have to be very careful not to  damage the ear drum),  get a new Q-tip and do this a few times until you see no more gunk. 

If the dog has hair growth in her ear, that hair needs to be trimmed, there are special small safety scissors you can get at the pet supply store.

If you're squeamish about this, you could take her to a groomer and have them do it while you watch plus they should be able to tell you if she needs the attention of a vet.  Petco has supplies and grooming services all in one place and dogs are allowed!

When you do this routinely the stuff won't build up, in fact once under control as long as the Q-tip is coming up clean, you may only need to use one Q-tip or a wipe each time.

PS: They can have mites in one ear,   eventually by scratching she'll transfer it to the other ear so you should treat both.  If you don't see improvement within a few days or notice foul odor, that may indicate infection and she should be seen by a vet. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

http://www.peteducation.com/article_print.cfm?c=2+2095&aid=273

Hope this helps.      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrdVj-If2_Y  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOmpwuC6FUA&feature=related

Youtube has several good videos that demonstrate how to do canine ear cleaning!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

Being nervous isn't a bad thing, just keep in mind it might cost you more in vet bills to have your vet reassure you.

There are a variety of ear cleaning products out there for use on dogs (your vet might even sell some), and regular cleaning isn't a bad thing, though some dogs tolerate it better than others.  Doing a basic clean isn't likely to do harm (don't use the same qtip or cotton ball or what have you on both ears, switch them out just in case it is mites so you don't spread them), and might help, but definetly head for the vets if it starts to smell off, or doesn't go away, or even gets worse.

Also, if she starts having regular ear issues, even though you're cleaning she may be allergic to something in her environment or even food.  Something to keep in mind but not nessecarly worry about for now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Gracie is very prone to this brown, smelly ear wax with itching that made her paw at her ear and shake her head.  This product completely prevents it.  We use it weekly.  She doesn't like it, but it works.  I tried 2 ear cleaners from the vet, and they didn't do a dammed thing.  Since using this for 2 years she hasn't gotten another ear problem, and she had so many before, it was terrible.

(I don't think it's mites, by the way.)

P.S.  This stuff will clear any problem up (other than mites) if you catch it as soon as you notice a problem (a head shake or pawing at it, funny smell, and/or a little brown wax).  Not sure how it does on clearing up a really bad problem because since having discovered it I use it preventatively, and we don't have any issues with her ears anymore.   Gracie got a few red bumps from irritating her ear canal by scratching.  She's never had mites.

ETA:  If you're dealing with a problem, squirt some down the ear canal and massage from the outside (you should hear squishing).  Then, take a drugstore absorbant cotton pad and sweep out as much brown gunk as you can without going too far into the canal.  

As preventative care, drip about 5 drops down each canal, massage, and dry what you can in the outer ear with the cotton pad or paper towel.  Use weekly and after any time the ears are immersed in water (swimming).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Only Pyethrins kill mites, and remember that these products are often alcohol based so they can be an irritant if overly used. 

That's why it's important to have your pet checked by the vet if you don't see improvement within a few days, rather than try different products.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from teacherinmass. Show teacherinmass's posts

Thanks again! The vet wasn't so helpful. They asked how often I am doing a "deep clean" of my dog's ears. I haven't done one in the 7 weeks we've had her (please don't hate on that... I am a first time dog owner and boyfriend had dogs growing up that had no ear problems). They basically said to give it another night and then come in. We got some recommended cleaner drops tonight and started with that (we also bought the mite drops). She tolerated it well- she really lets us touch her ears and even hold her head, so that made the process easier. She hated the smell of the drops, so that got her freaked out a bit. We managed to release quite a bit of gunk, even through her just shaking her head, so we're hopeful that we'll all sleep tonight and we have solved the problem- clean the dog's ears more often!!! I'm hoping it is that simple :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Sounds good!  Sometimes these things clear up and don't return, especially where it's only in one ear, probably caused by some minor irritation ie: bug bite, abrasion from a tree/bush branch. Just check them once a week 

Regarding those Youtube videos, (excellent demonstrations/instructions)         http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrdVj-If2_Y http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOmpwuC6FUA&feature=related      

Good luck.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

teacher, I used the cleaners weekly from the vet until she kept getting problems, anyway.  I highly recommend switching to the tea tree oil one.  I wish we had much earlier, but I was a first time dog owner, too, and thought the vet would have the best.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

I would listen to your vet.  Only a vet that has examined or is familiar with your dog can make specific recommendations, sure, we can tell you what has worked for our pets but that doesn't mean it's the best choice for your dog.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ear cleanser isn't a prescription doled out differently for different dogs.  Vets carry one or two choices of ear cleansers for every dog they see.  The tea tree oil cleanser prevents gunk and pre-infection issues better than the two OTC ones the vet sold me.  There's absolutely no harm in using a more effective, just as gentle cleanser than the one the vet carries.  And, yes, I asked.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

I'm just saying,  to suggest the poster do something different from what her vet recommended specifically for her dog could be considered interfering with treatment.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It's ear cleanser we're talking about.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Right.   BTW: Infection has not been ruled out,  the dog's current condition hasn't been resolved.

There is always the possibility the dog may need an antibiotic ear ointment/solution under the guidance of a vet.

http://community.petco.com/discussions/Dog_Discussion_Forum/_/skin_allergies/fd03p00v01d1/74.9?nav=messages    Also,  there are other reasons why a dog would have pruritus.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

Different dogs respond differently to different products.  Starting out with the vet recommended ear cleaner is certinally a good idea, but if thats not working (and once infection has been ruled out) you sometimes have to do some exploring on your own to find something that'll work.  And getting suggestions from other dog owners on whats worked for them is usually a reasonable place to start.

I might have to go find the tea tree oil stuff though, if only cause I like the smell of tea tree oil.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Just wanted to throw in that if it were ear mites, the buildup in the ear would be very crumbly. If you're still not sure, get some of the gunk on a q-tip and smear it on a white piece of paper. If there are mites in there, you'll see them, or their specks of black waste.

Itchy ears and excess ear wax can sometimes be a sign of allergies. Allergies show up after about a year and a half, or if somethign in the dog's environment/food changes. So keep an eye on it for that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

ruth, I can only find it on that site I linked to.  It's very heavy on the tea tree oil if you go by the smell - you'll love it! LOL!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

http://www.teatreewonders.com/pets.html#

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My vet loves the tea tree oil cleanser.  The cleanser has tea tree oil IN it, it's not pure essential oil.  It works and it's safe.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

I prefer this product, non-oily and it smells nice, but I'm sure there are many out there,  if you check the labels you'll find the ingredients are similar.      http://www.petco.com/product/14453/Cardinal-Gold-Medal-Pets-Ear-Mite-And-Tick-Control.aspx#description-tab

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

In Response to Re: Ear Infection? Ear Mites? Ear wax?:
    [QUOTE]I prefer this product, non-oily and it smells nice, but I'm sure there are many out there,  if you check the labels you'll find the ingredients are similar.      http://www.petco.com/product/14453/Cardinal-Gold-Medal-Pets-Ear-Mite-And-Tick-Control.aspx#description-tab
    Posted by dog-lady[/QUOTE]

this product specifically says it's for treating ear mites and ticks, and to only use it until the mites are gone. Are you sure it's safe to use on a preventative basis?

I just looked up the ingredients and it contains an organic pesticide. I don't think one should use a pesticide of any kind unless there are mites, fleas or ticks actually present. In this case, it sounds like there aren't.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]I prefer this product, non-oily and it smells nice, but I'm sure there are many out there,  if you check the labels you'll find the ingredients are similar.      http://www.petco.com/product/14453/Cardinal-Gold-Medal-Pets-Ear-Mite-And-Tick-Control.aspx#description-tab
    Doglady..do you use this on your dog? What is your experience with its effectiveness? I would have a hard time using anything with a pesticide in my pets ear on anything but a treatment basis.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

[QUOTE]I would listen to your vet.  Only a vet that has examined or is familiar with your dog can make specific recommendations, sure, we can tell you what has worked for our pets but that doesn't mean it's the best choice for your dog.
    Clear enough?   

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ear Infection? Ear Mites? Ear wax? : Clear enough?
    Not really...since you didn't answer my question. You recommended a specific product to the OP..I am curious to what your specific experience with using this product is.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Excuse me but we're not in court!  I have no obligation to answer your questions!       PS:  I think I'll give  F. Lee Bailey a call for advice!  He's in Maine now.   He has the cutest Westie named "Boots".        PFFFFT!!!     20101220_ FLeeBailey
                          Bailey & Elliot Consulting,  Yarmouth, Maine