1. You have chosen to ignore posts from urbankiwi. Show urbankiwi's posts

Re: Fat kitty not losing any weight yet!?

and clashfan, your kitty is beautiful!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

No, sorry, no raw meat.  It can have parasites.

However, the rest is true.  Most pet food is corn, and that's bad.  We feed our dog Taste of the Wild, and it is corn (and all grain) free.  They have a cat version, and I'd definitely try that.  It's probably not as cheap as the corn-based formulas.  But, even weight control food is mostly corn, I don't understand it.

Taste of the Wild, Cat Food

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

there are many brand of pet food that provide a raw-diet alternative. a raw-diet can be ideal, however, not many of us have the time or means to prepare that sort of diet.
    Evo, Innova, California Naturals, Solid Gold, and Blue Buffalo are great alternatives. Evo especially is grain-free.

The benefit of course to trying a grain-free food or a raw-diet is that you don't have to buy separate food for the cats.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from clashfan. Show clashfan's posts

I would be the first to admit that feeding a raw diet is not for everyone.  It does become "routine" once you get used to it.  I went through several different stages at first I was literally making cat food and freezing it in individual servings.

One of the reasons I suggested the farm I order my cat's food from is the fact that the food you get has organ and bone ground into it.  Kind of gross to talk about but I guess it does help that I grew up in a ranching/farming community in Texas.

In essence the meat I'm feeding has everything the cat needs and I do not have to add any supplements or organ meat to it.  So really it's pretty simple.

I just thaw the meat and then measure out daily servings into quart freezer bags.  I then refreeze them, thawing them one per day to keep the meat fresh.

You have to take the same type of precautions in prep that you would for any type of meat even if you are going to cook it.  In other words if you cook chicken it is very possible you could get salmonella from not cleaning anything the raw chicken touched properly.

Again this is not for everyone but it is not as hard nor time consuming as some would have you believe.  I also urge you to do some on-line research and read some of the pro and cons so you can make a more informed choice.

One of the reasons I did not go with pre-canned grain free organic food was quite simply the cost.  My cat would quickly eat me out of house and home as he eats about 2 cups of raw meat daily.  He is a pure breed Maine Coon though and is enormous.  Your cat probably does not need to consume that much food on a daily basis and the pre-canned food might be the best choice for you.

The grain-free is going to be crucial for your cat to loose any weight though.  Think of it as putting your cat on the Atkins diet.  Oh and I would freeze even that cooked chicken in daily servings and thaw as you need it.  Even cooked chicken can have salmonella if it's let go bad.  

P.S.  Your kitty is really beautiful!  Here's a photo of my panther.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from clashfan. Show clashfan's posts

Cat's are actually obligate carnivores and they are not equipped to digest the carbs that are in cat food.  This is especially true if you are feeding dry cat food to them.  I had a very similar problem with a former cat.  In addition the cat was male and also developed urinary tract blockage from the "store" bought food.  

When I restricted his food per the vet's orders he underwent a major personality change.  He began laying in wait to attack me at every opportunity.  My warm and loving cat became a nasty, biting, resentful cat overnight.

After much research I elected to try feeding him a raw diet.  In essence I began feeding him the food he would have eaten if he was still a wildcat, straight protein and no carbs.

He lost weight quickly and the food satisfied him so he stopped the aggressive behavior and once again become a loving companion.  He went on to live 14 years and never had another health issue.

When I got my current cat he was 8 weeks old and he has never eaten anything but the raw diet.  He is amazingly healthy and at his ideal weight according to the vet.  He is strictly an indoor cat so keeping him at a proper weight is important.  

I order food from a farm in Penn that specializes in raw all natural food for pets.  Even with the shipping involved it is less expensive than feeding "specialty" cat foods.  Especially if your using the kind only available from the vet.  They have a website www.hare-today.com.

I suggest the raw rabbit as it is closest to a wildcat's natural diet.  I will admit it was an adjustment to feeding "raw" meat and it still grosses out my roommate.  My cat is one happy and healthy kitty however and that is what is most important to me.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Boy clashfan, your cat looks really scary to me. No wonder you call her a "panther".

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from urbankiwi. Show urbankiwi's posts

Literally raw meat?? I dont know how well that would go over in my house. Animals are persceptive to special treatments of their "brother and sisters". For example, I would feed Lil Man wet food (because was finicky and needed to put on weight) and the dog would go and pee on my clothes while I was feeding him! And the dog is VERY well trained and very well walked, so this was an act of jealousy.

And Baby the Hutt is a pure all white cat, and the thought of her looking up at me with blood stained mouth scares me...Stephen King style.

Do you think boiled chicken would work? I know she likes meat, because she's famous for jumping on the counter while I make a sandwich, and run off with the slice of ham or turkey (as much as she drives me crazy, I love that lil rascal).

I guess the point is for it to be raw, but if I give her just protein and no carbs, that might work?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Clashfan - your kitty does have a fierce look here, could probably stand up to our dogs.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Chicken that is cut small enough so that it can quickly be brought back to a boil when added to boiling water, then cooked 3-4 min,  does not lose all that much in nutrients, AND  the surface bacteria and parasites that can be spread to you through their feces, and licking selves then you, is greatly reduced.  It you are more comfortable with that than raw diet, do it.

Very knowledgeable pet nutritionists and vets  who agree that  commercial diets are not the best for many animals  are far from in agreement about raw diets.  Even with no predators, traffic  deaths etc, cats with raw diet "like in the wild"  and dogs and wolves too, live shorter lives overall than those with more balanced diets, no parasites, and fewer of certain bacteria, which comes from brief, timed cooking.  
        Unless you are killing your source of meat and using all immediately,  the meat is being contaminated during storage and handling.

Give your cat or dog the benefits of minimizing many commercial feed additives,  but do it in a safe way that can double the life of a cat fed all "as in the wild."  The domesticated cat you own does not have all of the "natural" immunities to things like salmonella, e coli,  and neither do you, living with the cat.
         It is not necessary to go the the extreme,  from all commercial food,  to suddenly raw food only.

If you are happy with finely cut meats and little by products, the quantity of something like boneless skinless chicken thighs, pork chops or cutlets, and beef chuck, that a cat eats,  with a fair number of eggs, cooked, is pretty cost effective.
        Don't buy leftover deli ends (salt and preservatives)  or cheap  for the pet  stuff- it often has been sitting around a while.

You can manage on less than a dollar for about 8 oz clear meat  and eggs, cooked, easily, daily.  cooked fish, not preserved in oil or salt broth, is also healthy.

Most studies on "nutrients lost in cooking",  if you actually read them, are based on foods that in the process of preparation, cooking,  and cool down, because done in quantity,  may actually cook for 30 to 90 minutes.  Yes,  nutrients break down and are lost. 

But meats cooking in water, quickly, at over boiling temp for 3-4 minutes then quickly cooled so not overcooked,  loose very few nutrients.   Take 6 minutes to cut and flash fast cook cat food once a day, quickly refrigerating the second half for the second daily feeding.

People gung ho on all raw diets frequently quote the nutrients lost in cooking data,  and fail to mention that the data is from way way way too long over -cooking.
         Don't take it as gospel.

They also rarely mention the health risks to owners.  Pets, unlike wild cats and wolves, are in daily close contact with owners.  You do not need parasites, bacteria, viruses.   Whether or not your domesticated cat has any immunity to salmonella and hepatitus  and herpes viruses -  YOU don't.

Don't microwave any bones, they splinter.  Generally, boiling as a cooking method is less toughening, and more even heating to guarantee thorough elimination of parasies and bacteria.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

My cat is by no means overweight, she is actually a tiny little runt, but as she ages I have noticed she now begs for food.  She goes crazy if I bring home a rotisserie chicken and she is always under foot when we are cooking meat.  I have been wondering if she needs more protein? 

I feed her organic, but i need to double-check that it is grain free.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from clashfan. Show clashfan's posts

Wag- well he's a lover not a fighter.  Loves to meet new people and even has a doggy friend he plays with when he visits.

I got him from a breeder but he was considered a "throwaway".  Apparently since he has two colors of fur and no "rings" he would not have been able to be shown.  

Kind of silly but at least I was still saving an animal that might not have had a home otherwise.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from clashfan. Show clashfan's posts

Cooked meat will not work for a cat seems the act of cooking it kills most of the nutrients a cat gets from it in it's raw state.  As for parasites a cat's digestive system is built to kill them.  The exception of course is pork and no animal or human should eat that raw.

Again I did a large amount or research on this subject as I too had misgivings about feeding a raw diet.  You may feel more comfortable doing the same.

Studies prove that cats have not genetically evolved very far from their wild ancestors.  Our furry little friends are extremely close genetically speaking to their wild counterparts.

My vet was also skeptical of the raw diet at first, and I go to a vet that only treats cats.  However after 4 years and seeing how healthy and fit my kitty is she has changed her mind and now suggests the diet to other patients.

Yes corn is the big evil not just for our pets but for us as well.  Hard to escape it as it's in just about everything.

One of the reasons I special order the meat is the fact that it is the "whole" rabbit.  It comes ground and honestly it's no worse than dealing with fresh ground beef.  I also wanted to make sure I was getting product from a place that was treating the animals in an ethical way.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

their system isn't used to digesting "real" food, so sometimes they can get a little gassy from it. It should go away after a week or so. If you notice it persists for more than a week the cat might have a food allergy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from urbankiwi. Show urbankiwi's posts

I've tried organic brands, and I tried organic wet food... So my question is, there is ANOTHER alternative to raw-food diet that isn't dry food?

So if its grain free, whats in it? I'm open to all suggestions! And although the boiled chicken is a great alternative, and I will surely try for now, just to get her to lose weight. And I can't imagine spending the next 15 yrs boiling chicken for her. Sometimes, her food will just have to come from a store!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from urbankiwi. Show urbankiwi's posts

I think I will try the boiled chicken! See if there is any improvement in weight, and more importantly mood. Just last night she turned into Kujo I had to put her in the bedroom till she fell asleep!! She attacked the poor dog and other cat....then biting and attacking me!!! I couldn't believe my sweet lil fluffy head was being so mean!!

How many portions do you think I could refrigerate? Meaning, how long could i leave chopped boiled chicken in the fridge, before it goes bad? Unfortunately, I have an insane schedule for the next couple weeks, so I'd like to make weeks worth of food and ration it out throughout the week.

Do you think canned tuna or chicken would work? Or are all the nutrients stripped?

Here's my lil chubby fluffy head. And I noticed I referenced Star Wars twice in my first post...(Darth Vader and Jabba the Hutt)a and I've never even SEEN the movies....weird.)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I don't have anything to contribute as I don't feed my cats or dog a raw diet, but have to say those are the most beautiful cats I have ever seen!  I have an orange long haired with double paws, pink nose and light green eyes that I thought was the most gorgeous.  I won't tell him I seen 2 other gorgeous cats!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

My grandmother did the same thing for her cats as her under 3 children and numerous grandchildren :  food to be served cut very small, like toddler meat,  she would cook all at once, keep out 2 days worth, quickly freeze the rest in teflon muffin tin cups  then after an hour freezing put 12-25 little round disks of meat with a little water  in a freezer bag,  pull out as needed.  Still works after 60 years.

Also, most cats like most children like a little cheese.   Mix a little ricotta or grated cheddar  with a little hot meat, or a little scrambled egg,  freeze what you do not serve immediately.  Nuke to thaw, warm -  just never Nuke bones.

Fresh boiled chicken, beef, pork - 3 days worth is fine.  Longer- the meat is usually still good,  but unless you compulsively date things,  gets lost and forgotten.  Little frozen kitty patties made every 2 weeks or so, meat with or without scrambled egg or cheese,  a half hour of prep time to feed kitty for 2 weeks.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

If a dry food is grain-free, it contains only protein, vegetables and/or fruit. No rice, wheat or corn added.
    In the case of EVO, it's freeze dried into kibble, not cooked. The ingredients maintain their nutritional benefits, yet have a decent shelf life due to the freeze-drying process. This is why it's advertised as a raw-diet alternative.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Taste of the Wild sells a canned wet food for cats that is grain free.

Wet Cat Food, grain-free

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

I make dog stew for our doggies.  But we also feed them some high quality dog kibble.

You have to have a solution you can live with,  cat can live and be healthy with,  and that is not such a shock to kitty digestive system,  which is used to some feed,  that she feels physically sick or psychologically threatened*   * (I have known people to stop feeding a cat and put it out to catch birds and rodents,  "more natural".)

This is not a religious conversion.  Every couple of weeks buy and prepare something, while your dinner is cooking or whatever.
      Check out kitty weight  and satisfaction over time.  If when you serve it you give a Tablespoon of Cat kibble with 3-4 oz cooked meat, egg -then that means at least 3/4 of her diet is super healthy, and only 1/4 is somewhat lower quality.

I hate to break it to you,  but most people don't eat much "healthier" than that.

When I drop 10 pounds of meat cubes, plus some veggies, for the dogs  ,  into a stockpot of boiling water,  chances are I am waiting for Brownies for US PEOPLE  to cook in the oven.
         My, my what unhealthy food to give a person.  I drink beer too.  I for one thrive on it.  In addition to a diet with loads of fresh fruit, veggies,  and a variety of protein sources including meat and fish.

Reality is,   balance and moderation have a place in food consumption, and  you do not have to adopt an extreme position to be healthy,  for you or your pet.                  Wag

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from urbankiwi. Show urbankiwi's posts

Honestly, I dont even eat red meat. I'm not a veggie, I just can't digest it. I eat chicken about once a week, if not every 2 weeks. Other than that, its grains, fruits and veggies...and cheeeeeeeese :)

So if my kitty ate what WAG recommended (which sounds like something i could do!) My cat would probably would be eating better than me :) Which is fine, Baby is the one who can't jump on the cabinet anymore.

I'm going to introduce boiled chicken with the dry stuff, till she's use to it. Then as the weeks go on, introduce some egg and cheese and make those lil pattie things! 

I'll keep you all posted on Baby's Bikini Diet.

Weird question: I know if I change my dogs food, or if she gets scraps, she gets stinky farts...would kitty start having smelly farts from the boiled chicken and egg???

Sections
Shortcuts