1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Feeding stray cats

http://www.peta.org/issues/companion-animals/feral-cats.aspx

With the cold weather upon us I thought this article might help remind people that if an animal is outside all hours day and night it is probably a stray and the humane thing to do would be to get it to a shelter asap (assuming you are not in a position to offer it a home). 

Often feeding one of these poor creatures day after day without providing it with veterinary care and shelter from the elements just gives the animal false hope and prolongs their suffering and agony.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from keane5050. Show keane5050's posts

Re: Feeding stray cats

I have called several shelters concerning a stray cat and I have received no response.  Does anyone know a shelter that will help?  I have been feeding a cat for at least a year.  He is not exactly feral, he will let me pet him from time to time, but he is not really tame either.  On really bad days, I let him stay on my enclosed porch. I live south of Boston.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

In Response to Re: Feeding stray cats:
    [QUOTE]I have called several shelters concerning a stray cat and I have received no response.  Does anyone know a shelter that will help?  I have been feeding a cat for at least a year.  He is not exactly feral, he will let me pet him from time to time, but he is not really tame either.  On really bad days, I let him stay on my enclosed porch. I live south of Boston.
    Posted by keane5050[/QUOTE]

Put him in carrier take him to the vet for at least a rabies shot, get him fixed and claim him as your pet and try to keep him indoors as much as possible otherwise take him to a shelter, depending on what town you're in you should be able to find a no kill shelter, example Milton,  Mansfield is very kind, it helps if you provide a tax deductable donation and they usually want the pet seen by a vet and medically cleared. These places are mostly run by volunteers, you have to be aggressive to reach them. http://thecatconnection.org/no_kill_links.html                 
  4. Hilltop Humane Society
    Randolph
    781-963-7289 (adoptions coordinator) exp with ferals
    http://www.hilltophumane.org/
    I've heard good things about Hilltop    If all else fails you could take him to the MSPCA or ARL or contact your Animal Control Officer but his best chance would be at a no kill shelter.   Good Luck,  it's very kind of you to try to help.   PS: The other good thing about the vet or Animal Control Officer is that they can scan him for a chip...there is always the possibility that he is lost rather than abandoned, cats will often revert to feral behavior after they've been out there a while even if they originally had a good home.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

• You have chosen to ignore posts from keane5050. Show keane5050's posts

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, keeping him as a pet is not an option.  I have 2 indoor cats and a small dog already.  He is very aggressive with other animals and I fear he would harm my pets.  I have contacted both shelters you mentioned.  Milton will only take him if I live in Milton which I don't.  The Hilltop in Randolph does not have a shelter.  They foster their cats.  I have attempted many times to get them to come out and at least trap-neuter-release.  They haven't returned my emails or calls.
    Thank you for the link to the spa-neuter program but I think he is too wild for me to attempt to catch him and put him in a carrier.  Do you know of any other t/n/r programs I could contact?

You could leave a message for your Animal Control Officer to let you borrow a havahart trap and help you set in up where you usually feed the cat.  

Try calling the local vet clinics  they usually know who the people that help feral cats in your area are.               

http://www.winslowfarm.com/ This place is amazing, they have a sanctuary for feral cats that would never adjust to being adopted...

Another thought!   When he is enclosed in your porch call the Animal Control Officer to come and assist you, in fact you can call the non-emergency police #  to have him or whoever is on call paged (they will come out if the animal is contained)  let him be taken to the local pound while you make arrangements to have him be seen by a vet and/or taken to a no-kill shelter. 

Good Luck  

PS: They will scan him for a chip and hopefully wait 10 days (unless he is obviously sick or extremely aggressive) to see if anyone claims him.

/

Just wanted to make note that just because a cat is wearing a collar does not necessarily mean it has a home, in fact sometimes the collars are imbedded into the skin because they were put on when the cat was a kitten and have to be surgically removed if and when they are seen by a vet.  The cat could be lost or dumped, collar and all.