1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

First week with a new puppy and a 4yo dog - Need Advice

Ok... so I brought home our new puppy yesterday.  An 8 week old Bugg (Boston x Pug) ... she is adorable.  However, my 4.5 yo dog doesnt quiet buy into that idea.  Couple of questions.

1.  The 4 yo seems shocked by the puppy's movement.  She is not very coordinated yet, so she kind of jumps and moves suddenly. That bothers the older dog and she only goes near the puppy gingerly.

2.  I'm having issues with potty training.  With my first dog, it was August... so we just spent a LOT of time outside until she got the hang of it.  This time around, everytime I bring the puppy outside she just shivers and tries to climb my leg.  So I've set up a 4'x4' playpen for her and covered it with puppy pads.  So far I've contained most messes to the pen.  However, she stepped in the p**p and did not seem bothered by it.  Will this go away when I introduce the crate?  (and Petco... could you please, pretty please, mail me my new crate?)

3.  The puppy is clingy.  If I put her down, especially if she's in the pen, she just whines and generally makes a racket... just let her do this?  I'm trying to teach her to be by herself... but it seems she only sleeps when she is sitting on me and therefore gets super overtired when she's in the pen by herself. 

Anyone else have 2 dogs?  How long was it before a new "normal" was established?  I seem to have forgotten how disruptive a puppy could be and the frustration over training in the cold has me more nervous and on edge than I anticipated being.

They still arent best friends... but at least the little one is sleeping on my chest and the big one is curled between my legs... so they are sleeping in proximity to each other rather than the big one keeping her distance and looking jealously at me like she did yesterday.

TIA everyone!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: First week with a new puppy and a 4yo dog - Need Advice

Congrats on the new puppy!  Are you familiar with Cooper's (minipup's) new puppy thread of late?  It has lots of great new puppy info, generally speaking.  As for your questions, here's my best shot.

1.  Of all the things to worry about that's the least of them.  The puppy will be coordinated soon enough.  Just let time take care of that one and try not to worry about it.

2.  Be more assertive with the cold and potty training.  Too bad it's cold, but you can't do anything about it.  Bring the pup out on a leash and insist as if it were warmer.  Keep to the schedule despite the discomfort for EVERYONE involved. 

2a.  You should already have a crate.  When are you planning to "introduce" it?  Nighttime should be crate time if you're having one at all.  And, yes, he'll avoid going in his crate if at all possible.  Make sure he's always gone to the bathroom before you put him in there very long.  And, he's too young to hold it all night, as you must have noticed already.  So, he'll whine in the night in his crate to go out to avoid messing it up.  Be responsive with the leash and a treat even at 2 am when it's 10 degrees out. 

3.  Be more assertive with "play by yourself."  Let him whine, and turn your attention (including looking in his direction) away.  Periodically, say your "calm down" command of choice.  We used "settle down."  Pretty soon she learned that "settle down" meant that she wasn't getting attention (or coming out of her crate any time soon so she might as well, um, settle down. ;)

As for the two dogs question, sorry, can't be of help there, but I know people here can be.  DWL?  Are you out there?

Best of luck!

~kar

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

/

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Robingirl, you're not weak if that works for you and your dog.  It's just a different style.

I was the hard nose that did ignore Gracie when she cried when she was put in her crate.  The phase lasted such a short time it was worth it to us, and she never seemed worse for wear.  To me, a 15 lb puppy in the bed is one thing.  A 90 lb full grown, dusty, constantly shedding lab in the bed wasn't going to work for us.  So, I decided to never introduce behavior that would be OK until she got older and bigger.  Not fair to her, I thought.

And, I only mentioned that the crate "should" be introduced already because the OP said they were planning to use one.  I agree that it's not for everyone just because it works so well for us.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Thanks everyone!  I think we're doing a little better.  I called Petco.com... aparently they cancelled my crate order without telling me because they were out of stock and weren't going to be getting that size soon.  Oh well... went to Petco and got a more expensive one... but at least we have it.  I put Lily (the puppy) in after she fell asleep on my lap... and we got a very peaceful 2 hrs while she slept in her crate.  Woke up a few times but got comfy again and went right back to sleep. 

Daisy (older dog) is doing better.  It helped that my cousin came over for the weekend and helped me give attention to both dogs.  Daisy also went with me on the trip to Petco while the puppy stayed home.  They aren't playing together yet... but they seem to be tolerating each other.  Daisy is starting to standup for herself instead of letting this strange little yipping ball of fur have rule over the house.  She is such a quiet and submissive dog that I'm fearful of overwhelming her.  Trying to be very conscious of giving her alone time and lots of attention.

It is reassuring to hear that others have had to endure long periods of puppy crying.  I don't remember it being this bad with Daisy... maybe she was just a more laid back puppy.  It is also somewhat reassuring that it could take awhile for the "pack" to form.  I knew it wouldnt be an overnight thing... but it is good to hear that first impressions aren't everything for dogs. 

Lily will be sleeping in bed at night.  Daisy has been for a long time... and at only 2.6 lbs... I just think its too cold for her.  It also makes it easier to know when she needs to go potty.  She has established 1:30 and 3:30 as her potty times.  I can totally see how you wouldn't want a 90lb dog in bed... but 20lb pug mixes are nice bed warmers :o) 

The outside potty training wasn't working for us... so we're going to do puppy pads for a while.  She is on the way to being paper-trained.  Robin, thanks for the suggestion about bringing the pad outside when we're ready to transition.  Daisy tried to eat the pads from day one... so I've never gone this route before.  I did straight crate-training with her... but it was August in Orlando and I was in grad school and could be home a lot... hehe... a slightly different situation than now :o)  Though I did arrange to be able to work half days for 2 weeks and then I get the week between xmas and new years off.

I think during the day we'll be doing a mix of the crate (for 2 hours or so) and the playpen where the puppy pads are located for longer stints (6 hrs or so).  We'll see how that goes. 

The other thread was helpful too!  I've been trying to play with Lily's feet and ears as much as possible.  This was always an issue with Daisy.  She is horrible with nail clipping and brushing.  It involves 2 people, a can of treats, and some sweat.  If we could avoid that with Lily it would be awesome.  We even tried some teeth brushing today since she has horrible p**P breath... got to love those puppy smells! :o)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: First week with a new puppy and a 4yo dog - Need Advice:
    [QUOTE]Kar, I know the crates work well when used properly, but there are people that put their dogs in a crate for over 10 hrs, and go to work.  What if they have the "runs" and have to sit in it.  But at night, and for 4 hours at a time when someone can check on them it's fine.  I am just concerned that people think they can leave them in there for extended periods of time and not check on them.  Crates have become very popular in the past decade , I just never got into them.
    Posted by robingirl[/QUOTE]

I totally agree that a crate, as awesome as it is for the dog if used properly given their strong den instinct, can be (and is, so sadly) misused and becomes a tool of abuse.   Dogs do love a den, but not if they are stuck in there too long - it becomes a prison...not so den like.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

boston, so glad you are getting better results and are encouraged!  Remember, how things are now is transient, and soon everything will be under control and in a nice routine.  Thankfully, the extremely frustrating (for me, anyway) part of puppyhood was only about 3 months.  It took about seven months beyond that for me to see Gracie as an adult (as judged by her behavior not her age, per se).

Keep us posted!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Bostongrl, Congrats on the new puppy!  I love thier names.

I also have a Boston mix (BT x Cocker Spaniel).  He was flown up here from Florida in January and weighed all of 6 pounds.  Outdoor training was no fun for him or us, but we all got through it.  Bostons are temperature sensitive, so that first winter we got him a sweater that he wore 24/7.  We also got him a coat to go over the sweater when we went outside.  Tried boots and baby socks for his feet, but neither worked out.

I didn't use puppy pads because I didn't want him to think that it was ever OK to go inside the house.  We just keep trudging outside, every hour or two until he had a schedule, sometimes just for five minutes at a time when it was bitter cold.  If he didn't go, right back in the crate for 5-10 minutes, then right back out until he went.  If you keep the coat right by the leash or door you get used to whipping it on before heading out.  If puppy pads are working for you, that's great.  But if you want to work on outdoor training, just wanted to give you another perspective.

We moved his crate into the bedroom at night (for like a month until I just got a second crate to leave there) after I cried for three nights straight listening to him whine in the other room.  He seemed to sleep much better in the room with us. 

Good luck, keep us posted on her progress.  Oh yeah, post pictures please =)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I had the same thought about the puppy pads.  I didn't want to do anything that told Gracie "going in the house is OK" to be in her brain at any time.  But, they obviously work for people so I don't judge those poorly who use that method.

We tried boots that didn't work (Muttlucks) but found a set that does from Baxter Boo.  They zip down the front all the way to the toes so they can fit more snuggly and they have a velcro that seals the deal around the top.  I don't think they can just fall off like the Muttlucks do.  Baxter Boo Hiker Boots  Gracie doesn't seem to mind them, either.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

if you train them with puppy pads, you'll always need to have one out, just in case, forever. I found the crate training and timing the walks works much better. It worked so well for my chihuahua, Max, that he doesn't need a crate anymore. He's always slept in the bed at night, but now, when he's home alone, he just sleeps there all day until we get home from work. I feed him once a day when I get home from work, so he only needs walks in the morning, after he's fed, and before bed.

if you're worried she'll get cold, get her a coat or sweater. don't give into the clingy-ness. Max used to want me to pick him up when it was rainy or really cold outside, that lead to lots of accidents and trouble if I ever needed to take him somewhere when it was raining or snowing. I started to not pick him up or let him go back inside unless he went to the bathroom, and now he'll walk in the bad weather. He still doesn't like it very much, but he knows it's what he has to do.

Max is also very wary around puppies. he knows they play a little rougher and are a little clumsier than he's used to, and if he needs to he'll let them know he needs his space. It just takes a little while for them to figure each other out, set their boundries, and learn to trust each other. Daisy will let Lily know when she's being too rough, and that's a really important lesson for puppies to learn. Lily will learn that if she wants to play with Daisy, she needs to act a certain way. You'll just want to keep an eye on them and make sure there's no serious fighting going on. When Max is letting another dog know he needs space, he'll growl or bark at them, but he doesn't bare his teeth or try to bite- that's what you have to watch out for. If they're getting really upset, their ears will go back and the hair on their neck stands up, that's the bad sign.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

So I can't comment on the house training since when I got both my dogs they were mostly house broken... a few accidents here and there.  Dublin the schnoodle was 4 months old and Penny my big hound pup was 9 months old. 

I'm still going through the experience of introducing a new dog to our pack.  Dublin, now three, was used to having our full attention and was not totally thrilled when it was clear Penny was staying for good.  He loves other dogs and actually pretty much picked Penny out when we brought him to the shelter (they played like crazy there) but totally ignored her the first two weeks while she followed his every move pretty much begging him to play with her.   At times he would growl or snap at her too if she was annoying him too much.

Two months later its a totally different story.  They are constantly playing together, sleeping pretty much on each other, and now seem to be the best of buds.  They seem to have mostly worked out their positions - leading to less rough housing which is nice - with Penny taking on a more submission position.  It just takes some time. 

That said, my situation is a little different where I was introducing an almost fully grown 45lb dog to a 20lb dog.  Dublin's initial aggressive behavior would have been more concerning with a very small or young puppy.

Another thing to keep in mind is that it sounds like you have two female dogs.  I never would have guessed this but according to all the research we read before getting Penny supposedly the hardest combination is female-female when it comes to dogs figuring out their dominance issues.  I'm sure it will work out though... again it just takes some time.  Now I look back at the first couple of weeks and wonder why I was so worried.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

/

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Building 19 has the best fake dog kongs ever.  Mine are constantly losing them so I figured I'd give one a try and my dogs actually like them better than the brand name kongs (hole is a tad smaller and more challenging).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I totally agree with Pink - do not allow behavior you don't want.  They do get over it and learn to be happy behaving in a way you expect IF you are consistent and never give in (like being picked up and coddled due to the weather). 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

In Response to Re: First week with a new puppy and a 4yo dog - Need Advice:
    [QUOTE]I totally agree with Pink - do not allow behavior you don't want.  They do get over it and learn to be happy behaving in a way you expect IF you are consistent and never give in (like being picked up and coddled due to the weather). 
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

yes, I only pick Max up now if the snow or slush is really too deep for him to walk in. even then, sometimes I can trudge a big enough path for him to follow behind me. Dogs will naturally- and literally- follow in your foot steps if they're unsure about the terrain.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

I just have to say thanks everyone for all the advice!  Bringing Lily home has been a lot more challenging than I remember Daisy being.  I think she was a more laid back puppy and she was my only one :o)

We had a little success with outside potty training today... so it might not be a total loss.  Being 50deg outside helped :o)  I also dug up Daisy's old harness that fits Lily.  The new one I bought is built differently than the old one and probably won't fit her for another few weeks.  ... I guess she'll be getting hand-me-downs even though I intended to get her a new harness :o)

Ok... for some pics ...
    Daisy:

and Lily:

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

SO CUTE!!!  You'll find that things will be much better at the 3 month mark no matter what the weather. :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Both are so adorable!  Everyone will adjust with a little time.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Awww... I want to scoop them both up and never put them down. 

Sections
Shortcuts