1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

Flea & Tick Medication ProMeris

I've been waiting and waiting for SOME news outlet to pick this up, and no one seems inclined.  It briefly made the Fox News site, but I can't find the article any more. SO.....

If you are using the flea & tick topical med called ProMeris you may want to consider asking your vet to recommend something different.  A study done by researchers at North Carolina State University linked ProMeris to cases of a autoimmune skin disease called Pemphigus foliaceus in medium to large dogs.  Chows and Akitas are particularly prone to this disease, and in this case its seems to target Labs and Lab type dogs.  Extreame cases of this disease, if not treated promtly, can cause major skin loss, to the point of the animal loosing its paw pads, and can even cause death. Here's a link to a blog post someone did on this, it includes a photo of a dog aflicted by PF and its not a pretty picture.

Pfizer is NOT pulling ProMeris off the market, instead they have simply stopped production stating that the medication no longer fits what they wish to produce.  They intend to continue filling orders for the product untill stocks are gone.  Current stock levels are expected to last through September (or the entire flea and tick season in alot of areas).

My suggestion:  If you've been using ProMeris for a couple years with no side affects you're probly fine, though a consult with your vet on the subject might not be a bad idea.  You'll definety need to find a different medication for next year though as ProMeris will no longer be availible after Sept.  If however this is the first year you've used ProMeris you may seriously want to consider returning the product you've purchased and asking your vet to recommend something else.  Especially if you have a medium to large dog.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Flea & Tick Medication ProMeris

Thanks, ruth.  If there are equally effective options out there you might as well choose one not linked to skin disease.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

Thats pretty much what I was thinking Kargiver.  There are lots of options availible now for flea & tick prevention.  Its nice to know what the various side affects are when choosing between them!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I appreciate your thoughtfulness in posting what you learned about that drug.  If Gracie had been taking it I definitely would have been on the phone with the vet today to get her on something else because you went to the trouble of sharing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I've never even heard of that drug. I've always used the OTC flea and tick stuff.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

A lot of flea and tick medications are OTC.    Again, it's best to check with a Vet and see what they recommend specifically for your pet.  If you check the label you'll see the same, or similiar ingredients on most of these products.       It takes toxic chemicals to kill ticks.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

Its not one I'm personally familier with either.  Nor is it regularly recommended by my vet.  So Pfizer may be stopping manufacture for monetary reasons as much as anything else, but that doesnt mean someone else might be using it and its worth getting the word out, espeically since the media is disinclined!

Robin not all tick medication is identical, and if you really believe that you need to spend some more time in research.  Are all flea and tick meds toxic to some degree?  Yes, but thats why sharing this sort of information is so important, different dogs react to different things, and sharing the reactions with the public make for better choices.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

I never said they were identical, I said they were similar.  They are all insecticides,  it's always best to check with a Vet regarding which product would be best for your pet.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

Robin did you even read my entire originial post?  I stated twice that contacting your vet was a good idea.  I need to go back to ignoring your posts, you're always either negetive or trying to sell something.  What happened to pushing Petco's vet clinics since obviously those of us who question our vets MUST be short on funds??

I believe that as a pet owner you have a responsibility to make the final decision on your pets care.  A vet may has gone through lots of school and training, but they're also human.  They forget things, are unaware of things due to lack of communication, and often have bias's as to which medications are better than others.  And no matter how long you've been seeing the same vet you STILL know your animal better than that vet does.  When it comes to something such as flea & tick medication, something that DOES contain toxins, its up to you as the owner to do your own research and make the final decision.  And that is something that cannot be done with the information isn't made public.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

I don't disagree with you,  however if you look up Tylenol or Aspirin in the PDR [Physicians Desk Reference]  you would never take one after reading about potential side effects!

So sometimes I think it is better to just trust the health care professionals.

And yes, I do recommend Petco  www.luvmypet.com for services. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

I DON"T take Tylenol or Asprin, and avoid most other medications when at all possible.  It isn't always possible, and then I put some effort into weighing possible side affects vs possible benifits.  Same for my pets.

Sections
Shortcuts