Free Cats

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Miike69. Show Miike69's posts

Free Cats

Hi Guys,

I've just been reading the pet section of this forum, and I've seen that many of you are very passionate about cats.  I wanted to let you know about an effort going on to save some great cats and kittens that are actually being hunted for food!!!

Here's the story:

There is an American businessman who has been doing some consulting off and on in the Philippines (in Metro Manila) who began rescuing cats he found when he learned that some of the poorer people there actually hunt abandoned and stray cats and kittens on the streets of the Philippines for food.  Ultimately, he just cared for the cats and kittens he saved himself at his rented house there, but it's becoming more than he can handle now without some help.  So, he's begun reaching out to his fellow animal-loving countrymen (and women) in America in hopes that he could help a few of these cats and kittens find good homes in America. 

All of the cats are in good health, but most of them are somewhat small compared to the average American cat.  One just had 7 kittens, but apparently only two have survived the first week.  One of the cats - probably the "coolest', most easy-going cats he has there - he is desperately trying to adopt out, but because he requires medication which costs roughly $100 per month, no one wants him.  Without this medication, he will dehydrate and die a horrible death.

If you or any cat-lover you know is willing to help - either by adopting one or more of these cats, or by donating to his efforts to save them from being hunted for food, they have recently put up a Facebook page here:

http://www.facebook.com/FreeCatsInMetroManila

They also have a website here:

http://FreeCats.org.ph   

(Their site hasn't been completed yet, since it's only he and his wife who are working on it.)

I know for a fact that if anyone is interested in adopting one of these cats, he is willing to work with you to arrange the transportation of the cats to wherever they need to go to find a good home.

Hope this helps!  And I hope this message finds someone who can help these cats!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re: Free Cats

A laudable venture..but in addition to the travel expenses..there are also customs issues. With plenty of cats and kittens right here at local human societies..or in our own communities..I would not encourage anyone to look into importing an animal that is essentially wild.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Many of the Massachusetts shelters have been importing street dogs and puppies from places like Puerto Rico to be placed for adoption here.   Mongrels with unknown histories.

I wish your friend the best of luck and hope he gets responses......unfortunately, I have heard that what you describe is culturally acceptable in some countries.

PS: I was at MSPCA-Angell the other day, and they have some beautiful cats at their shelter waiting for homes.

ETA: http://www.northeastanimalshelter.org/sato-rescue-program-saves-homeless-dogs-puerto-rico

http://thesatoproject.org/

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to RockinRobin39's comment:

Many of the Massachusetts shelters have been importing street dogs and puppies from places like Puerto Rico to be placed for adoption here.   Mongrels with unknown histories.

I wish your friend the best of luck and hope he gets responses......unfortunately, I have heard that what you describe is culturally acceptable in some countries.

PS: I was at MSPCA Angell the other day, and they have some beautiful cats at their shelter waiting for homes.

I have heard this...but this doesn't happen at any of my local animal shelters. They clearly have their hands full with what they already have. I visit Nevins Farm on a regular basis and they are almost always full. I always feel so bad for the adult cats. I'm sure being placed in a shelter is so much more traumatic for them. Same thing with the older dogs. Some of the stories are heartbreaking.