Gift Ideas for a Terminally Ill Dog

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BreedTrust. Show BreedTrust's posts

Gift Ideas for a Terminally Ill Dog

My dog Cody is going to visit his favorite "girlfriend" this weekend (she's a 9 y.o. Golden girl) and I'm looking for ideas for gifts we can bring to brighten her day.  She was recently and sadly diagnosed with terminal cancer.  She has good days and bad but tires easy.  Any suggestions for gifts we could bring to help show our love for her as Valentine's Day approaches? Ideas for her mom would be appreciated too since she's going through a tough time dealing with the unexpected news.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpuppy. Show bigpuppy's posts

Re: Gift Ideas for a Terminally Ill Dog

How very sad - please give my (and Bosco's) good thoughts to Cody's girlfriend and her mom. I'm sure she has favorite toys or treats that she has always gotten for special occasions, so you might ask her mom what those are and bring that. There was a great recipe for pupcakes on this board a few months ago (you can probably find it in the archives) which I made for Bosco and his pals and they loved them. They were a real special treat that I imagine any dog will love.

One thing that might be nice for the mom is if you offered to take a nice photo of her with her pup - I know that I have tons of photos of Bosco but very few of both of us. Just a thought ...

Best wishes to them both.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

For the dog, how about a nice soft blanket.  She probably has a bed/crate, but you could add he blanket so she is comfy and warm when she's not feeling so good.  My first thought was a special food treat, but she might be on a specific diet or have a low tolerance for food from the medicine.

For the mom, I LOVE bigpuppy's idea of a photo.  I too have tons of pictures of Jax, but very few of us together.  Picture Poeple will even do pet portraits, so maybe a gift certificate or prepaid session there.  They could do some together and some of just the pup, and you can bring the dog's favorite toy or blanket to use in the photos too. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That's so sad...add my thoughts and prayers to the list going out to Cody's friend and her mom.

If she's definitely not a chewer, I'd give this:  Fleece covered hot water bottle

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

orthopedic dogs bed could be a good gift, depending on how much you want to spend. They run about $40-$75 for the memory foam ones.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maldenlady. Show Maldenlady's posts

Wow.  I'm so sorry to hear about this.  Great ideas all around -- what a wonderful, compassionate crowd!

I know of one dog who faced chemo; and handled it pretty well.  I've heard it said that dogs do better with chemo than humans do.  Small comfort for such a sad situation.  The dog I knew who faced this really liked bones and chew toys up until the end...comfortable blankets, a photograph, and a hot water bottle (for a non-chewer) are great suggestions. 

Taking Mom out for a nice meal, or "something fun" that she likes to do is extremely thoughtful...

I like Robin's very practical idea about starting a fund.  If you don't have pet insurace, it gets extremely expensive very fast -- actually, even with pet insurance, it's expensive. 

Again.  Wow.  Just wow.

Maldenlady

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

This hurts my heart...  But everyone has such great ideas.  But really love the picture idea.  I do not have one picture of me and Amber together.  I am going to have my daughter take one tonight.....    

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Such wonderful ideas from everyone!  I'm with ambergirl though... heading straight home to take some pictures with my babies. 

Breedtrust, thanks for the post, its a nice reminder to cherish the (too short) time we have with our best friends. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BreedTrust. Show BreedTrust's posts

Thanks for the many thoughtful and wonderful ideas.  Reading them made me teary-eyed thinking about Cody's favorite girl being so sick. 

I just love the photo idea.  Sadly, I've lost a number of dogs over the years and each and every time the first thing I've done after they've passed on is sort through photos of them to help me reminisce about our happy times together.  I will definitely bring my camera to take some pictures this weekend that I can frame for her mom.

The ideas for gifts for the dog are great too.  The mom has decided not to put her dog through chemo or radiation because the cancer is so aggressive and advanced that she just wants to focus on making her final days as comfortable and happy as possible.  Otherwise, I would definitely follow up with the fund suggestion which I think is such a fabulous idea.

She mentioned that she found a place called Flowdog this week where she can take her swimming in an indoor therapy pool for dogs.  (She's a true golden and absolutely loves swimming).  She brought her there for the first time this week and said the dog was practically squealing with excitement while she was swimming she was so happy.  I think I'll look into buying a gift certificate for her to use there and maybe package it with one of the ideas mentioned here. 

You are a great group of compassionate pet owners.  I really appreciate your ideas and help on this one!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

That's great that she found the pool and has a way to let her dog enjoy her time while she is still physically able.  Sending my best to you, Cody and your friends.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I think you are a great friend too breedtrust.  Very thoughtful of you to want to do something...  animal lovers do have big hearts I find.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

How is Cody's girlfriend doing?  I hope the warmer weather brings more tail wagging. :)