1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristi. Show BDCKristi's posts

Have you been to the vet this year?

According to this poll http://bo.st/sMXMlz, 8 in 10 pet owners have been to the vet this past year and spent an average of $505.

Are you one of them?
    Feel free to share your story here. (And we hope your pet has made a full recovery!)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Have you been to the vet this year?

We spent $4000 on Gracie's medical bills this year:
    • TPLO (knee) surgery.  
    • non-routine follow-up, including x-rays
    • ripped off toenail (caused by a temporary thyroid complication of surgery)
    • broken tooth extraction (top front incisor)
    She is just coming up on 6 months post-surgery, and is 100% recovered from everything.  Hopefully, we got all her big problems (before old age issues) out of the way early and she'll beat the recurrence odds of another cruciate ligament tear.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I bring my dog to the vet once a year for a check-up and any shots he might need. It's usually $200-$300 depending on what vaccinations he needs and what tests they run. Some vets charge a lot more than others. I switched to South Bay Vet Group because their prices were lower. Some offices charge you $200 just for the office visit.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, yeah, vets charge wildly different amounts for the same thing.  I know people who spent $4500 on the same TPLO surgery Gracie had for $3300.  She got great care and has recovered with full use of her leg.  Definitely shop around and get references and reviews.

We were quoted $1500 for her tooth extraction and cleaning.  Found another doctor to do it for $400.  The only difference was, the $400 one didn't take a full set of x-rays to check for hidden cracks or other problems, only relevent ones to the extraction.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Pinkittie..wow ..$200 just for an office visit..?
    I have two cats..the vet they go to believes in twice a year checkups..so they each go every six months. On a normal year, it's less than $500 for all the visits ( this vet charges something like $58 for an office visit). This year, I spent closer to $1000 because my younger cat was ill in the spring.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonmanSouthend. Show BostonmanSouthend's posts

Taking one's pet to the Vet is really a rip off. I took my cat to the vet to see if there was a flea problem. It cost $120.00 plus $20.00 for dandruff oil. You can expect to pay hundreds when going to the Vet. The Animal Rescue Shelter in the Southend is the safest. They take your means into consideration unlike the other Vet on Tremont St.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I guess we got super lucky with our vet - she's honest, capable, and doesn't overcharge.  Shop around, folks, great vets are out there. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

I found a nice vet who doesn't make a big production out of things, so I alternate between him and Luv My Pet (Petco) and he's okay with that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MML. Show MML's posts

Yes.
    I've spent well over $500 this year for one of the two indoor cats.
    Thyroid diagnosis / blood tests / follow-up blood tests. 
    She suffered a 'kitty stroke' two days after a routine exam and spent
    4 days at the vet clinic for observation and stabilization.
    This all occurred around May 1st this year.
    At this time, she has recovered to 90 - 95% of her normal healthy self. :)

Her thyroid meds are working and her post-stroke symptoms are gone.
    She is about 13 years old and doing very very well. 
    ~ phew ~ 
    We were NOT ready to lose her! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerel. Show summerel's posts

One of my dogs unfortunately developed primary liver cancer this year and it took almost $6,500 in one month all-in to finally get that diagnosis - between his primary vet and the emergency vet hospital. In the end, the day we got the actual test results confirming the primary liver cancer - a rarity in dogs, usually liver cancer is metasticized from somewhere else - was the day Henley finally gave up his fight. 

Generally, our primary vet visits range between $115 and $300 depending on what vaccinations or tests are needed, but it's $55 just to walk in the door. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

So sorry for your loss of Henley, summerel.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from spoogedog. Show spoogedog's posts

I've spent over $1000 on routine vet care this year. Three cats, four dogs.
    The BIG money goes to PetSmart. I think last year I spent $5000.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

PetSmart?  Well, if we're talking food, supplements, toys...oh, man, just never mind how much we spend on that stuff.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bynxers. Show Bynxers's posts

I love my dog- but I can't get over the culture of "spend a fortune on your pet" that seems to be the local way here. Growing up- we didn't have doggie daycare or dog walkers- we had a dog run in the back yard or a fenced in yard. Or the dog hung out until everyone got home to go out. We didn't have the money or the offered services for such things. When I tell people I don't have a dog walker and he waits until I get home from work (he's normally alone from 8-4:30)- you wouldn't believe the looks I get.

I say this because I take my dog for regular checkups and vaccinations to the vet. But every time I go- I am told that my dog's teeth need surgical cleaning. True- there's tartar. True, he's got bad breath. But is there any immediate health concern? No enflammed gums, no infections. Etc. I know that someday down the line without proper care, teeth may need ot get pulled. But right now- honestly its more a hygene than health thing.

Right now, we as a family don't have $700 laying around to get the surgery work done. And we especially don't have that additional required $200 for "bloodwork" and prep sitting around either. Like many people, we are struggling to meet our basic financial obligations- rent, student loans, daycare... All of which are seeing payments or costs rise.

The vet doesn't care- she gives the evil eye and the veiled "Well its what I reccommend"- but what really translates to "You don't love your dog and you are a bad pet owner" judgement.

Its really annoying. If it weren't an 8-9 hour drive home, I'd take my dog to our family vet. Because if I can't afford dental work of my own without missing rent or student loans- how the heck can I do it for my dog when its not even a major health concern???

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I never thought I'd spend $4000 on a dog for medical expenses.  But, when Gracie tore her cruciate ligament at 2 years old we could get it fixed so we did.  In this case, we weren't guilted into anything, and I'm so thankful we were able to give Gracie the surgery she needed to be a healthy, active lab hopefully for another decade.  

However, a vet periodontist did try to guilt us into getting full mouth x-rays "just in case" there was a hidden crack in one of her molars when she needed a tooth extraction (broken front tooth).  I took her somewhere else and got the extraction and complete cleaning (might as well under those circumstances) for 1/3 of the cost and no guilt.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from asb612olive. Show asb612olive's posts

In Response to Re: Have you been to the vet this year?:
    [QUOTE]I love my dog- but I can't get over the culture of "spend a fortune on your pet" that seems to be the local way here. Growing up- we didn't have doggie daycare or dog walkers- we had a dog run in the back yard or a fenced in yard. Or the dog hung out until everyone got home to go out. We didn't have the money or the offered services for such things. When I tell people I don't have a dog walker and he waits until I get home from work (he's normally alone from 8-4:30)- you wouldn't believe the looks I get. I say this because I take my dog for regular checkups and vaccinations to the vet. But every time I go- I am told that my dog's teeth need surgical cleaning. True- there's tartar. True, he's got bad breath. But is there any immediate health concern? No enflammed gums, no infections. Etc. I know that someday down the line without proper care, teeth may need ot get pulled. But right now- honestly its more a hygene than health thing. Right now, we as a family don't have $700 laying around to get the surgery work done. And we especially don't have that additional required $200 for "bloodwork" and prep sitting around either. Like many people, we are struggling to meet our basic financial obligations- rent, student loans, daycare... All of which are seeing payments or costs rise. The vet doesn't care- she gives the evil eye and the veiled "Well its what I reccommend"- but what really translates to "You don't love your dog and you are a bad pet owner" judgement. Its really annoying. If it weren't an 8-9 hour drive home, I'd take my dog to our family vet. Because if I can't afford dental work of my own without missing rent or student loans- how the heck can I do it for my dog when its not even a major health concern???
    Posted by Bynxers[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

[QUOTE]I love my dog- but I can't get over the culture of "spend a fortune on your pet" that seems to be the local way here. Growing up- we didn't have doggie daycare or dog walkers- we had a dog run in the back yard or a fenced in yard. Or the dog hung out until everyone got home to go out. We didn't have the money or the offered services for such things. When I tell people I don't have a dog walker and he waits until I get home from work (he's normally alone from 8-4:30)- you wouldn't believe the looks I get. I say this because I take my dog for regular checkups and vaccinations to the vet. But every time I go- I am told that my dog's teeth need surgical cleaning. True- there's tartar. True, he's got bad breath. But is there any immediate health concern? No enflammed gums, no infections. Etc. I know that someday down the line without proper care, teeth may need ot get pulled. But right now- honestly its more a hygene than health thing. Right now, we as a family don't have $700 laying around to get the surgery work done. And we especially don't have that additional required $200 for "bloodwork" and prep sitting around either. Like many people, we are struggling to meet our basic financial obligations- rent, student loans, daycare... All of which are seeing payments or costs rise. The vet doesn't care- she gives the evil eye and the veiled "Well its what I reccommend"- but what really translates to "You don't love your dog and you are a bad pet owner" judgement. Its really annoying. If it weren't an 8-9 hour drive home, I'd take my dog to our family vet. Because if I can't afford dental work of my own without missing rent or student loans- how the heck can I do it for my dog when its not even a major health concern???
    Posted by Bynxers[/QUOTE]

My advice: go along with a routine cleaning and whatever extractions are indicated... then brush the dog's teeth every evening for 2 or 3 minutes in an aggressive fashion and you'll probably never need a professional cleaning again. Dogs adjust to being left alone for up to 10 hours per day it's not ideal... but they thrive on routine and they get used to it.  Consider   www.luvmypet.com      for routine vaccinations. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/dog-supplies/dog-dental-care/ps/c/3307/59                              

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1109669. Show user_1109669's posts

Yes, I have!   Lucy, my twelve year old beagle, had a torn ACL in her left hind leg in March and then a torn ACL in her right hind leg in September!  Total bill over $5,000.00.  Lucy is doing great and is back to taking her daily walks, only
    now the walks are shorter.

This was an unusual year.  I generally spend $300 to $400 annually on Lucy's vet visits. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Our kitten is 17 weeks today.  We've been to the Vet twice for shots, etc. (He was neutered when we adopted.)  I'd say we spent a little less than $200.   We don't have to go back until next November (Rabies) unless something is wrong.  We will pick up the Revolution treatment from an outside vendor.  He's an all indoor cat, but I want him protected from flees, etc., just in case.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukeseri58. Show lukeseri58's posts

Kar, what kind of supplements beside the zinc do you give gracie -- as you know i raw feed emma and i give her fish oil and sardines -- she always has very itchy skin - no fleas - i flea comb every day to be sure - she did get flea alergic dermitatis recently - must have been bitten by a flea outside - and apparently she is allergic to fea salivia - that's what the vet said - he put her on a steriod for a week - kills me to do that - but it stopped the itching for about two weeks - but now she is so itchy it is driving me nuts -- i have bought homeopathic remedies for itch, i have given her kelp, vitamin c, but nothing seems to help -- she has a beautiful coat - shiny, thick but her skin is horrible -- do you give more than one supplement a day - does gracie take it no problem - emma has to have meat wrapped around her glucosomine very day and sometimes still managers to spit out the quarter of a pill in the pieces of meat sometime - i put the kelp in raw hamburg and make sort of a meatball out of it -- just curious how many different supplements you give on a regular basis and how gracie takes them - thanks

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nasochkas. Show Nasochkas's posts

My vet always tries to make me put my cat under anasthesia for dentail cleaning. No way. Every cat we've had has lived 20 years without any dental care.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nasochkas. Show Nasochkas's posts

A visit with a rabies shot is $90 for the cat..that is all we spend in medical care in a typical year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

[QUOTE] -- she always has very itchy skin - no fleas - i flea comb every day to be sure - she did get flea alergic dermitatis recently - must have been bitten by a flea outside - and apparently she is allergic to fea salivia - that's what the vet said
    Posted by lukeseri58[/QUOTE]

Brewers yeast/garlic tablets    double dose in summer, regular dose the rest of the year,  read the reviews    plus they must taste good cause my dogs eat them as snacks!  http://www.petco.com/product/105624/Petco-Brewers-Yeast-And-Garlic-Tablets.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

$500 is about spot on for me, and I have 2 very healthy dogs.  But that's the cost of just their routine annual visit, a vaccination or two, and their heart guard/flea prevention meds.  I got to MSPCA Angell and think they are very reasonably priced, but it all adds up quickly.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Kar, what kind of supplements beside the zinc do you give gracie -- as you know i raw feed emma and i give her fish oil and sardines -- she always has very itchy skin - no fleas - i flea comb every day to be sure - she did get flea alergic dermitatis recently - must have been bitten by a flea outside - and apparently she is allergic to fea salivia - that's what the vet said - he put her on a steriod for a week - kills me to do that - but it stopped the itching for about two weeks - but now she is so itchy it is driving me nuts -- i have bought homeopathic remedies for itch, i have given her kelp, vitamin c, but nothing seems to help -- she has a beautiful coat - shiny, thick but her skin is horrible -- do you give more than one supplement a day - does gracie take it no problem - emma has to have meat wrapped around her glucosomine very day and sometimes still managers to spit out the quarter of a pill in the pieces of meat sometime - i put the kelp in raw hamburg and make sort of a meatball out of it -- just curious how many different supplements you give on a regular basis and how gracie takes them - thanks
    Posted by lukeseri58[/QUOTE]

Hi, lukes, so sorry to hear Emma is suffering.  The Longevity is the way to go imo.

Gracie loves the taste of this one, and while it's expensive, check out the long list of expensive ingredients and benefits on the website.  I'd recommend this for Emma's skin problem.  It is a huge immunity booster and has proven anti-allergy, and anti-inflamatory ingredients.  I mix it in with her dry food, and I add about 1/2 cup of water to the bowl with it (not letting it soften, just wetting it).  They also have spirulina wafers that is technically for horses but they recommend it for dogs, as well. But, the Longevity contains spirulina.  Call them and ask what they think you should start with given Emma's situation.  They are very customer service oriented, friendly and helpful.  

It's a very small amount of powder that she doesn't seem to notice mixed in with her food.  She had cracked pads from hiking in the snow that were healed within 2 weeks of starting this, and I just kept it up to protect her pads all year.  Zinc is also good for skin problems and inflamation so I highly recommend that.  It's very cheap since you only use a tiny amount per day.

Trader Joe's Dog Joint Tablets
    She likes the taste of these so I just add them whole to her food.  (She HATES the Springtime Inc. joint tabs - she will NOT eat them no matter what I do.)

Trader Joe's PEOPLE Salmon Oil Capsules
    I don't trust that dog fish oil supplements aren't full of mercury.  She likes these and eats them whole in her food.

She hates these and spits them out if she comes across them in her food.  So, I pulverize the one she takes (less than the recommended dose works for her) per day in a mortar and pestle and mix it into the food.  The Longevity overpowers it, and she eats it that way.

She likes these, too, so I add them whole to her food.  I only give her one a day because her food also has these vitamins just not enough imo.

If I have to give her a capsule (antibiotic, for instance) or anything else she doesn't like, I dip it in TJ's no-salt peanut butter and cover the tips of my finger and thumb with peanut butter.  When I put the peanut butter-covered pill in her mouth, she starts licking my fingers and swallows whatever is in her mouth by reflex.

HTH and that Emma's itching goes away pronto.

Blessings,
    ~kar

ETA:  We feed her Blue Buffalo's "Fish and Oatmeal for Large Breeds."

Sections
Shortcuts