1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDDD. Show MDDD's posts

Re: Have you been to the vet this year?

Our cat was recently seen by VET. Diagnosis thyroid. Started medication and is looking better. We are also dealing with a flea problem.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Well if we're going to recommend specific brands of dog food... I am happy with  Castor & Pollux Ultramix  Adult  Canine Formula,  ordered it from Petco but it's available at other places too.  Of course it is always best to consult with your vet especially if your pet has a medical condition or concern.

ETA:  Nutrisca dry, salmon & chickpeas   Excellent!  No grains, potatos or junk

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

/

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

Our vet is a house call vet, so it's extremely convenient and it makes everything more comfortable for Stella. Fortunately for us, she's only had one "incident" (dehydration as a puppy) that required anything other than routine shots and physicals, so our bills have been kept to a minimum. Typically her shots are around $80-$100 including her titers, so I don't feel like we're spending too much for her medical care. Her food on the other hand is expensive. We feed her either Taste of the Wild or Solid Gold, but if she's healthy and happy I don't mind. We do have insurance for her as well, which is about $25/month. We knew what to expect expense-wise when we decided to get a puppy, and we budget for it, so there's no surprises.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If I could start my adult life over I'd be a house call vet.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Some vets are happy to provide free rabies shots, and will even do so on a walk-in basis. Mine is one of them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

In Response to Re: Have you been to the vet this year?:
    [QUOTE]If I could start my adult life over I'd be a house call vet.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]
    Couldn't agree more!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CMM55. Show CMM55's posts

My 14 year old cat needed 2 teeth out-they were found to be abscessed when I took her and my 2 year old cat in for their check-ups. She was not eating well before, losing weight etc.  I felt that she has more years ahead of her, so I had him extract two teeth, and do  a cleaning as well. $600.00 for that, but now, two months later she is more active, eating better and loving life. Money well spent, I think.  Having lost her brother to tongue cancer  two years ago (vet checks were not a priority back then, and I still feel that had he been having regular checks ups the cancer could have been found earlier-much guilt!!), checks ups are now a must. Love our vet, and trust him not to oversell anything.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

lukes, my personal email is kargiverbdc @ gmail . com if you want to talk more about her food and supplements.  I mentioned her food because it does not contain corn or soy, both of which can cause allergic reactions and are in a lot of brands "recommended" by vets (kickbacks, anyone?).

ETA:  Also, Gracie is allergic to duck, by the way; it inflames the skin between her toes causing them to be very pink, swollen, and itchy (as evidenced by her excessive licking/chewing her feet).  The doc said that the duck in dog food is generally the cheap cr*p from duck down companies and has been modified to produce more down.  These genetically modified ducks are cheap and technically still duck meat, but not all dogs can eat it without an adverse reaction.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukeseri58. Show lukeseri58's posts

Kar, i ordered the longevity -- i called them as well -- thanks
    Kinga - where do you live that you have a visting vet - i would love one of those

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Great, lukes!  Thanks for letting me know.  I hope it helps Emma's itchy skin like it seems it should given its impressive list of immunity support ingredients.  Did they give you an idea of when you could expect to see results?  Of course, it's not quick acting like steroids, but I don't know how long to give it before you'll know if it's working.  Since Gracie takes it for other reasons I don't have any idea.  I recommended it to our bank manager whose dog was suffering from some kind of extreme itch that the doctor didn't know what to do for other than prescribe steroids.  She hadn't tried it last I knew.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukeseri58. Show lukeseri58's posts

i didn't even ask that question -- i was more concerned if i was going to overdose her on glucosmine since she takes that already -- they told me you can't od on that and that it has antiinflamatory properties which is good and will help with the itch too - i may call back and ask how long they think it will take - my husband suggested we actually have allergy tests done on her - you know where they scrap the skin and put it a bunch of different allergins to see which ones she reacts to - i don't want to do that but if this longevity doesn't work i may have to

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]i didn't even ask that question -- i was more concerned if i was going to overdose her on glucosmine since she takes that already -- they told me you can't od on that and that it has antiinflamatory properties which is good and will help with the itch too - i may call back and ask how long they think it will take - my husband suggested we actually have allergy tests done on her - you know where they scrap the skin and put it a bunch of different allergins to see which ones she reacts to - i don't want to do that but if this longevity doesn't work i may have to
    Posted by lukeseri58[/QUOTE]

I've found them to be very forthright; I'm sure they'd be glad to talk with you about what to expect and when.   The anti-inflamatory will help the itch, and I expect the immunity boosting ingredients will help the allergy itself.  Bee pollen is good for seasonal pollen allergies, for instance.  Oh, meant to tell you that they said to introduce it slowly, but Gracie didn't need to "adjust" to it - she didn't have any trouble digesting it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpuppy. Show bigpuppy's posts

Other than getting snipped, Bosco's been (knock on wood) very healthy. He's just had his annual physical with the accompanying shots and that runs about $125 a year. That's peanuts compared to the monthly bills for his food and treats! Oh well, I freely admit he is the most spoiled dog in North America!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hey, bp!  I so wish you lived closer to us.  Gracie and Bosco would be such great playmates.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukeseri58. Show lukeseri58's posts

dog lady -- i don't put a lot of trust in the fda - the warnings and what not on most meds scare the cr ap out of me -- i just try to do natural products that have been shown through use to be helpful for certain things -- in most cases, you can keep the chemicals - that's for me and my dog

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

I agree.  My point is that supplements are not medication,  you can't expect dramatic results from them.  I understand your position and wish you the best of luck.

I won't comment on this issue again,  I just hate to see people waste money on things that don't work,  it's your business.  Peace

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]dog lady -- i don't put a lot of trust in the fda - the warnings and what not on most meds scare the cr ap out of me -- i just try to do natural products that have been shown through use to be helpful for certain things -- in most cases, you can keep the chemicals - that's for me and my dog

I don't trust the fda, either - just listen to the horrifying list of possible side effects from people drugs the ads say are awesome and that you should "talk to your doctor to see if they are 'right for you.'"  May cause blindness?  Deafness?  Suicidal thoughts?  DEATH?

Of course, Longevity is not a drug and won't act like one, but the ingredients are proven effective regarding immunity.  I hope by at least the end of the tub you'll see dramatic improvement!  Email me at kargiverbdc @ gmail . com and let me know how it goes.  My thoughts and prayers will be with Emma.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukeseri58. Show lukeseri58's posts

thanks kar

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]thanks kar

You're welcome - I just hope it takes care of her reaction.  Docs aren't so great at prescribing immunity boosting supplements after prescribing steroids and antibiotics which do their jobs well but suppress the immune system in the process.

That reminds me, if Emma has been on antibiotics you might also consider what we give Gracie after she gets them, Total-biotics for dogs.  This was the best price I could find on something with this many strains of good bacteria to build up her gut flora asap.  Having a good bacterial balance is essential for proper immune system function, as you may know, and I think it's an oft overlooked aspect of allergies (in people and pets).  I keep the leftovers in the freezer for whenever she might need it, again.  (She was antibiotics for a toenail ripoff incident as well as after her tooth extraction.)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

[QUOTE]Kar, i ordered the longevity -- i called them as well -- thanks Kinga - where do you live that you have a visting vet - i would love one of those
    Hi Lukes, I love in Waltham, and our vet is based out of Arlington. She's expecting in January so I'm not sure if she's taking on new clients, but it's Head to Tail vet. http://www.headtotailvet.com/ She's absolutely amazing.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Of course our cat has been to a vet, I've always taken all my cats yearly to a vet for a checkup.  Now that she's elderly and because of new reading I've done, she goes twice a year now.  We're giving her fewer shots that I used to give my cats years ago because she is an only cat, we don't take in feral cats or rescues, and because there is more concern about the need for some shots.  but she gets the big ones, and rabies, of course!

this year we put our older cat down so we paid for that... and our younger (13 yrs old, so not really young) cat has issues with inflammatory bowel disease and is on potassium supplements. Oh, and this cat had oral surgery for a dental cleaning and teeth removal this past spring, came through it like a champ.

when we lose this kitty we're going to get kittens, two of them!  So I'm hopeful that after that first expensive year of neutering and initial shots we'll have a few uneventful years re: health care, after all the health care needs our elderly cats have needed in the last few years.

Sections
Shortcuts