1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Re: Help! Dog freaks out at the vet.

This will take some work...

Make sure the dog is tired out.  Bring the dog to Vet when you don't have an appointment.  Sit in the waiting room with the dog.  When the dog calms down, give he treats.

Make several trips with him to the vet when he doesn't have an appointment.  You may even ask if you can bring him into a treatment room.

The secret is to desensitize the dog to the Vet.

I have a dog that hates being boarded.  He goes into a shell, won't eat, etc.  We were planning a long trip where we couldn't take the dog and he would have to be boarded.  We started leaving him at the boarding place for doggie day care, and then for a couple of days, etc.  It still took him a while to relax, but by the time we went on our long trip, he was able to relax much sooner.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Claddaugh. Show Claddaugh's posts

Help! Dog freaks out at the vet.

Hey Everyone
    I'd love to hear from the dog owners who have dogs that get very anxious at the vets. My dog is 7 yrs old and I adopted him when he was 1.5yrs. He was very sick when I got him, so we spent a lot of time in and out of the vets. He didn't like it, but he tolerated it. But, over the last 3 years, he's become increasingly anxious at the vets and at our last visit, we ended the exam b/c we were afraid he'd hurt himself or one of the vets. Has anyone seen The Exorcist? It was pretty much like that. And he absolutely must go this year as he is due for several vaccines.

I have tried treats & positive reinforcement during exams, and it didn't calm him down a bit. I've also gone to the vets and just sat there with him so he could associate the office with something other than poking and prodding. So far, no success.

Does anyone have any advice for me? TIA!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I had a few more thoughts about this.  When bringing your dog to the vet for "de-sensesitizing", bring along some kibble and give a little to everyone in the waiting room (who will participate).  The, bring your dog to each person and let them give the kibble to your dog.

If the vet staff will cooperate, ask them to also give your dog some kibble, etc.

The objective is to make the dog associate a visit to the Vet as a good thing.

Good Luck.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Claddaugh. Show Claddaugh's posts

Kar- She's on a course of pain meds so I don't think she's in pain. The pain meds were originally prescribed for her arthritis, so we're getting the added benefit of them here. Unfortunately, the tumor has grown behind her eye, so unless the radiation shrinks the tumor and it changes its growth pattern, it will eventually cause pressure against her eye. This type of tumor can also grow against the bones in the skull and cause additional pain & damage. Her first course of radiation (at the end of last year) gave us 6 months free from cancer related symptoms. The best we can hope for this time around is 3 months. For now, she is still a very happy dog- eating regularly and playing with her little brother. It sounds a little crazy- but if she were failing otherwise (ie- weight loss, cancer spread, visible signs of discomfort) it would be easier on us as the course we need to take would be clear. It's just so hard to know what to do whenever our pets aren't feeling well, you know?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Here's my other one.  This guy became diabetic at 6 months old.  We give him insulin twice a day.  He's the sweetest dog, if a little stubborn at times.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Claddaugh. Show Claddaugh's posts

Hey Novembride
    Thanks for checking in! We are unfortunately a little sidetracked right now. My other dog (the husky) is battling cancer and so my spare time is now focused on her. We're in the middle of a course of radiation treatment with her, but hopefully when that is done in two weeks, we'll be able to get back on track with the boy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Claddaugh. Show Claddaugh's posts

Thanks Robin
    The vet gave him a sedative via a shot when he went to get his nails cut (about 2 yrs ago). We gave him 10-15 minutes for it to take but when they came back in, he went nuts. They gave him a second shot and he still was able to kick and thrash about. I guess that's adrenaline for you. I will definitely try a sedative before the appointment next time. Perhaps he'll be calmer going in and won't get into fight mode. The vet is very sweet and even offered to come to my house to treat him, but I'd rather get him used to the office visits as a longer term solution.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I'm so sorry Claddaugh, I knew a dog that had nasal cavity cancer. You're in my thoughts. I hope you get some good quality time with her in the coming months.
    Cancer s*cks because they have good days and bad days, and you never know what kind of day tomorrow will be. I hope she has mostly good days.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, so sad....is she in pain?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, Claddaugh, so sorry your dear little ones are having such a hard time!  I was having a hard enough time with Gracie's hives; I can't imagine if she had cancer. :(

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

I had a dog who was a rescued dog, needed doggy Valium a full half hour before visits (and a pit stop after 15 -20 minutes,  relaxes the bladder as well as other muscles  and mood.)

The vet I had then said, just entering the place it smells doggie blood,  doggie fear scents given off in sweat of a distressed dog,  urine, and may even hear higher pitched whimpering out of our hearing range from animals in the waiting room and through the walls / windows, from exam rooms and kennels.

Next visit, when I called about a swelling and pus just inside the first curve of the ear (Spaniel ears, hard to get at)  and had no pills, the vet said - do not even park by the office.  Come up my home driveway, meet me at the paddock fence -  "patients" never go there, just our  own  family menagerie.   At the very least, I can give you pills.

Weird. So we did, like going for a walk.
     Sandy just whimpered when he talked to her, and scratched her head,  and she turned right over for a belly scratch.  Never did get any medication for usual anxiety.

When he then lifted her sore ear, she just buried her muzzle in the crook of his other elbow.,  and let him apply a topical anesthetic like the dentist puts on your gums.

A couple minutes, then he pulled an embedded thorn, gave her a shot for the nasty infection it caused, right into the side of the ear canal.

2 days later, even though the vet came to the office waiting room to greet her, she did her whole hyperventilating, pacing, wild eyes and baring teeth and snapping when approached.

We left, came back to the vet's home hours later,  and she was sweet and mellow while having a torn toenail removed and the paw bandaged.

A rural vet, he was able to be more accommodating than most, and he was a big supporter of rescue dog and shelter operations, so he was so helpful.

Made me think what he said of sounds and smells of sickness, was right.    Distressed animals, maybe disease ( abscessed and dying tissue smells)   was what freaked her out. 

This was years back, when this was my first dog that had not been from parents or a relative's dog's litters,  but adopted.

Food for thought.   Maybe dealing with the anxiety with a major pre-medication is necessary.   What the dog associates with past painful vet visits may hit dog's nose and ears before you even get in the office.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Claddaugh. Show Claddaugh's posts

Thanks for the advice everyone.
    I'm going to swing by the vet tomorrow to map out a schedule for our visits!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, they are so stoic it's hard to know what they need. :(

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

There are supplements for anxiety that are highly rated (and reviews specifically mention vet visits) on Only Natural Pet (search on "anxiety" under Dogs).  Our dog isn't anxious so I haven't tried them (she takes a multi vitamin from there), but if I were you, I'd give the recommended dose of a homeopathic remedy for about a week before each appointment (homeopathic remedies take awhile, unlike a prescription drug, to take full effect).  If that isn't enough, I'd continue with that but add a prescription sedative an hour before the appointment (check first for interactions with your vet).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunshinemrs. Show sunshinemrs's posts

Sadly, due to a very bad ear infection, my dog now also HATES the vet.  I can get her in the door but once it's time to get in the exam room, she gets panicky.  We've had to knock her out in the past.  Now we have gotten her to the point where we give her a sedative and muzzle her as she snapped at the vet. 

I don't have any solutions but continuing on "well visits" the vet where he gets lots of pets and treats should help a bit.  We also reserve cheese sticks purely for the vet and for ear-related things but once it's ingrained it's tough to break them of their fear.

I also agree with tibird - exhaustion should help a bit too :-)

Also, you may want to try other vets within the practice.  Although I have yet to encounter a vet that I didn't like at our current office, one vet in particular does really well with my dog.  I have a rottweiler and this woman had a bad tempered rottweiler in the past - so she takes no guff, so to speak, from my dog.  She whips her up on the table, doesn't pussyfoot around with her and does what she needs to do - no treats until the end. 

All I can say is I'm sorry and I feel your pain.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Another sweetie pie!  Too bad about the diabetes, but he couldn't have a more conscientious owner to take care of him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Claddaugh. Show Claddaugh's posts

Cancer stinks! She has a very aggressive type of cancer in her nasal cavity and it's not curable. So for her, the radiation is for palliative results only. She's such a wonderful dog....it's been very very difficult. :(

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Claddaugh. Show Claddaugh's posts

Thanks for the advice folks. 
    Sunshine- I know exactly what you're talking about. It was a very bad ear infection that started my guy down this Vet anxiety path.
    I think I'm going to go at this full throttle. We'll continue the 'happy Vet visit's to try to desensitize, will go for an extra long walk before every visit and will try the anti-anxiety supplements. Thanks for that link Kar- there's a lot of good stuff there.
    And b/c I'm a proud momma (well, not when he's wrecking the Vets office!) here's a picture. He's the white & tan one. His big sis tries to keep him in line- she thinks she's a border, but she's really a husky mix. He's american eskimo dog & golden retriever. Cuties!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

We are bringing our monsters to the park before the vet this weekend to help wear them out before we get there.  We have 1 who is very afraid and will try to leap off the table, the other is so hyper & food motivated he won't stop jumping for the treat canister on the counter (it's exhausting to watch!).
     A quick stop where he can run before he knows what's about to happen, combined with the sedative, might help?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

In Response to Re: Help! Dog freaks out at the vet.:
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm going to swing by the vet tomorrow to map out a schedule for our visits!
    Posted by Claddaugh

Claddaugh - how is it working out? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Aww, those are great looking dogs!!  Thanks for posting the photos, guys.

I love this community!  :)

Best wishes!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

So sorry Claddaugh.  I'll say a prayer for you and your pups!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Here's a pic of one of my guys...

Sections
Shortcuts