Housebreaking Question

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Re: Housebreaking Question

Shelters, and the local dog pounds that many towns keep for dogs that stay a day or 2 lost (or taken from emergency scenes while owners may be hospitalized)  always want decent brands of food.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

How did this thread go so wrong?

Anyway, the co-op exchanged my Puppy Chow for Innova Large Breed Puppy (they are the company that makes EVO for grown dogs).  I wanted Blue Buffalo, but they didn't carry it, and the Innova looked equally as fabulous, and she seemed to like it, too.  No loss on the BB - I'll mix it with the Innova until it's gone.  They seem like very similar formulas.

Since I broke the rules again and switched her totally to the new food, her stool is soft, but she doesn't seem to be in any discomfort.  It should be fine in a couple of days.  The Chow is gone (from the house), and I couldn't feed her any more of that cruddy corn filler, anyway.  I think the soft (not runny) stool is worth it...I hope I'm doing everything right for her.  I love her so much.

Thanks for everyone's help with our dear Gracie.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

In Response to Re: Housebreaking Question:
    [QUOTE]The only thing that showing them the mess and scolding them acheives is that it gives the owner the satisfaction of blowing off their frustration. That's all it does. You tell yourself that it makes the dog know it made you unhappy, and that makes you feel good. All the dogs knows is that you're mad about it, and it doesn't know why. The correction is ineffective if there is no redirection. Redirection, like when you catch a dog chewing on a shoe, you say "no, shoe" and then give it something it something it can chew on and say "good, bone" or whatnot. That's why the correction during the act is effective, you immediately redirect that action outside. In Response to Re: Housebreaking Question :
    Posted by pinkkittie27[/QUOTE]

You should really consider professional help.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Hi Kar, I know you are a private person and didn't give your puppy's name out.  But I see you just did and her name is Gracie.  Beautiful name : )  Amazing how much you grow to love them isn't it?  I am enjoying the "Gracie" stories I read, so keep them coming.  You are doing a fantastic job with her.
    Posted by ambergirl[/QUOTE]

Hey, Ambergirl,

Yeah, I figured, why not, really.  From what I've posted, anyone who knows me would know it's her anyway!

Thanks for the continued encouragement.  I realllllly appreciate it.  I just took a new photo of her.  I'll post it (and a story!) in the thread dedicated to her where someone asked about her to start it...something like "Kar, how's the puppy?"  You'll be stunned at her growth, I think!!!  She's almost 50 lbs, now.

~kar

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Hi Kar,

I know you are a private person and didn't give your puppy's name out.  But I see you just did and her name is Gracie.  Beautiful name : )  Amazing how much you grow to love them isn't it?  I am enjoying the "Gracie" stories I read, so keep them coming.  You are doing a fantastic job with her.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I'm not the one trying ineffectively to teach a dog an abstract concept and expecting results. I was able to housebreak my dog with little trouble without using the cockamamie "rub their nose in it" method. It's just not necessary, I've never known a dog trained that way and they were all still housebroken.

So why use an ineffective, confusing punishment when you can acheive the same results without it?

Admit it, you do it because you're mad there's pee on the carpet and want to take it out on the dog. That's all.
    You're the one who needs professional help. I'm the one who's able to train my dog without arbitrary and unecessary punishments.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Housebreaking Question : You should really consider professional help.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, what a fabulous idea!!!  Thanks, my friends.

Maybe if I try to return it to the farm co-op, they will donate it, and I'll get store credit to boot.  I'll find out what they would do with it.

DH isn't too happy about losing the money we spent on it, but to me it's "obviously" a necessary cost of her healthy development and longer life.  We only get one chance to feed her growing body, ya know?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Exactly what I was going to write!

[QUOTE]    Shelters, and the local dog pounds that many towns keep for dogs that stay a day or 2 lost (or taken from emergency scenes while owners may be hospitalized)  always want decent brands of food.
    Posted by whatawagSBNy[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Wow Kar!  I can't get over how big she got and how fast.  Her coat is absolutely beautiful....  so shiny!  It is pretty obvious she is well taken care of.  Gracie is one lucky dog : )

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

KEK, what a dear you are.  So sorry you had to put your dog down.  It must be the hardest thing in the world.  I dread the days of Gracie's old age and having to think about those decisions.

You are your new dog's angel even if you aren't home as much as you'd like.  There's another lab in our puppy class that's crated most of the day, and he interacts with his owners just the same as every other puppy does, with affection and adoration.  He's a happy little pup.  He and Gracie play and play and play.  I hope you have her a long time even if 13 is old...we just won't tell her she's old, OK?

Thanks for reading my long, boring update. :)  It really helps to know my friends here are keeping up and care so much.

Do you have any photos?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

LOL, Kar's dog doesn't live in a crate!
    crate-training a dog dosn't mean they're in it 24/7. It means you put the dog in the crate when you can't keep an eye on it.

I know I'd rather be in a crate with a nice fluffy warm bed in it than be tied to a beach chair.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I crate-trained my dog. Being in the crate while I was at work taught him that the best way to pass the time is sleep. He has run of the apartment now, because when I'm at work he sleeps (lucky dog). He can be trusted as long as there's no laundry on the floor.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pink07, please give us an update.  We hope your housebreaking issue has long since been resolved, but, if not, please let us know so we can help if possible.

KEK, too.  What's happening?

~kar

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Gracie does seem to try to type with her nose while I'm online.  Hmm, maybe I should be more concerned about that...

~kar

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

KEK.  I have a dog that I have had for 12 years and got her when she was 12 weeks old.  I dread when my day comes to put her down, but you have to know that when you get a puppy if you are younger.  I have 2 cats that I love dearly, but it is not the same as the dog and no offense to cat folks either!  I think that is wonderful to take an older dog and something I will think about too.  Thanks so much for sharing...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimFairview. Show SlimFairview's posts

LOL  my puppy didn't live tied to a beach chair.  And after housebreaking was over, my puppy had the run of the house.  Fluffy bed, warm sun, and doing whatever comes to a dog's mind when I couldn't keep an eye on him.  In the parlance du jour, I taught him to be (reasonably) self actuating--empowerment and dignity and...uh...stuff like that.

Adopted a cat too, a stray, a few years back.  I said (in front of her) as long as she uses the litter box and doesn't scratch the furniture she can stay.  After that it was impossible to complain.  If I did, I found little post-it notes stuck to the fridge:  "you said, as long as I use the litter box...etc."

Interesting guest.  Vere (pron: very) had facial expressions and body language like a person.  She past away a few years ago.  Desole! :(

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

What a wonderful update, KEK!!  So happy for you and your dog you definitely should have named Lucky. :)

Waggie, with the board so messed up I never saw your post about how healthy Gracie looked.  Thanks!

She's recovering from her surgery today, but I'll update the Spaying thread.

KEK, again, so happy for you and her.

~kar

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

50 pounds at how many months/ weeks?  Wag

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, ambergirl!

She doesn't feel lucky right now - she's begging to come in, and I'm firmly telling her to "go play."  She doesn't wanna play by HERSELF! 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimFairview. Show SlimFairview's posts

Je vous en prie, remission....

A lab.  Got it.

The only thing I had to worry about with Rex was his hacking my computer and changing all my passwords.  (Well, you know what they say about German Shepherds being intelligent and all that.)

Thanks for the fyi thing

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimFairview. Show SlimFairview's posts

Living in a crate?  8-0

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimFairview. Show SlimFairview's posts

Get an old fashioned beach chair.  (lounge) Webbed.
    Put the leash on the Puppy and tie him/her to the chair.  (near the door.)
    Resolve yourself to a couple of nights on the sofa.
    When your puppy has to go, and cannot stand up on the webbing, your puppy will let you know.

Scoop your puppy up in your arms and go outside for the walk.
    Praise your puppy etc.

You may make two or three trips outside.  The procedure may take two or three days. It worked for me.

love to all,
    as ever,
    Slim ;)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

But she needs to play by herself!   Meanwhile, the way head/neck/shoulders have broadened, she is looking more dog than pup.  Healthy looking- really beautiful!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from KEK. Show KEK's posts

I just read your update on Gracie.  I'm so glad she is recovering nicely.  I bet you'll see a huge improvement today. The hard part will be keeping her relatively quiet.
    I had to put my very beloved dog to sleep about 18 months ago.  I had her since she was 6 weeks old.  She was by my side through a lot.  When she went I really wanted to get another dog but kept telling myself I wasn't home enough and it wouldn't be fair to the dog.  I had to be content with the two cats. (No offense to cat folks - but they just are not dogs!) 

So when my sister told me about the little one she rescued I had my doubts.  I rationalized it by thinking even if the dog had to be alone a lot it was better than being turned over to a shelter.  Let's face it, there isn't a great demand for hairless, toothless, 13 year old dogs.  Boy, am I glad I decided to take her in.  She really is a joy.  She has bonded with me so well.  All I have to do is look at her and she starts wagging! 

I don't know how long I will have her and I know when her time comes it will be terribly sad, but I know that I will have given her a few years of happiness.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from KEK. Show KEK's posts

Hi Kar - We are all doing very well, thanks for asking.  My little one has undergone quite a transformation in the past year.  When she was found (trying to cross a 4 lane street at night!) she was pretty much hairless and severely dehydrated.  Now she is the picture of health.  She has a full, shiny coat of pure white fur and although she is a senior, you would never know it.  She eats well and aside from a couple of long walks a day, has very few needs.  We do leave a pad down for her if we are going to be out of the house all day but 9 times out of 10 she holds it until we get home to walk her.  After a walk and her dinner nothing makes her happier than sitting in my lap.  I don't know how or why she ended up on the street but I am so glad my sister took the time to stop her car and pick her up.  We joke that we should have named her Lucky!