1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Housebreaking Question

A crate is 1000 times easier than that.  They just wimper in there when they have to go.  It woke me up, I got out of bed, let her go out, put her back in, and went back to bed.  The middle of the night trips were about 2 weeks.  Now, she can hold it 12 hours...sometimes she goes to bed at 8 pm and doesn't ask to come out 'til 8 am, and we're up and about at 6:30 am.

And, now we have a pup who's happy to be in her crate now and then during the day, too.  No chewed leather furniture.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KEK. Show KEK's posts

I just read your update on Gracie.  I'm so glad she is recovering nicely.  I bet you'll see a huge improvement today. The hard part will be keeping her relatively quiet.
    I had to put my very beloved dog to sleep about 18 months ago.  I had her since she was 6 weeks old.  She was by my side through a lot.  When she went I really wanted to get another dog but kept telling myself I wasn't home enough and it wouldn't be fair to the dog.  I had to be content with the two cats. (No offense to cat folks - but they just are not dogs!) 

So when my sister told me about the little one she rescued I had my doubts.  I rationalized it by thinking even if the dog had to be alone a lot it was better than being turned over to a shelter.  Let's face it, there isn't a great demand for hairless, toothless, 13 year old dogs.  Boy, am I glad I decided to take her in.  She really is a joy.  She has bonded with me so well.  All I have to do is look at her and she starts wagging! 

I don't know how long I will have her and I know when her time comes it will be terribly sad, but I know that I will have given her a few years of happiness.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, my, no - Gracie doesn't live in her crate!  She sleeps in there having gone in on her own every night around 8:00.  Whines to have the door open around 7:30 am (which I do), and she lays there and chews a toy for another 20 minutes before she decides to come out and face the day...or at least pee.  Right now, she's sacked out on her very plush, monogrammed L.L. Bean dogbed with a wool horse blanket under her head.  Gracie is housebroken, but she's a labrador retriever puppy; a pup known for its chewing tendancy.  Some breeds can have the run of the house earlier than others - labs aren't one of those breeds.

Sections
Shortcuts