How hard and fast are the crate weight ratings?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

How hard and fast are the crate weight ratings?

ETA:  Here's the new one!  YAY!  Thanks for all your support and input.  It really helped, as always.  Wow, there's a big difference from the wire one...

Well, she's gone and done it.  She's 71.5 lbs, and her crate is rated to 70 lbs.  We bought the 70 lb crate because her parents were both under 60 lbs so why would I have gotten a bigger one?  Anyway, our vet just told me (at her last visit where she was just weighed) that if she still goes in on her own to rest and sleep for the night and can curl up in the back like she does at night she is comfortable in there.  But, my concern is that it SAYS 70 lbs.  I'm a stickler for the rules so, of course, this bothers me. 

Here she is napping and just after I woke her up taking pictures (note the door is open; she went in there to rest on her own).  What do you think?  Kindly vote below.

TIA!!  ~kar

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Re: How hard and fast are the crate weight ratings?

Too much of a cedar lining causes breathing  problems,  vets warn.  Some people buy  cedar  shavings to put inches deep in  crate bottoms,  and end up having to switch to pine.

Sarahbth's hubby made 2 crates for when we first gave them a NID and they were in rental housing, so they crated nights.  No problem at all with just slatted sides cedar lined about 8 inches up, and the whole bottom which had a cushion or pine shavings  over it.    It stayed flea free, no breathing problems even when a small pup.

So best guess is, don't line the whole thing, but bottom and to only a couple inches above cushion, max.    Aged cedar is a nice smell in the house, too, minimizes eau de dog in humid weather and on rainy days.

Flea  powder works its way down into cushion foam, where fleas burrow, and mites, where cedar fumes will not reach, so some under the cushion cover over foam is still good.  It also does in ticks, which cedar does not.   Kind of a suspenders and a belt  style  pest prevention.

I love cedar lined closets.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

my mom has a 1970s log cabin she bought about 8 years ago. When she told me the new house was a log cabin, I thought she was joking. It's taken quite a bit to bring it from Brady Bunch to the 21st century. She's become quite adept at scouting junk/estate sale shops in VT and NH to outfit it. But even the glass top stove and stainless steel fridge look odd in such an otherwise rustic kitchen.
    I think you can mix modern with rustic, but it has to be just right.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

UPDATE and new opinions needed.

Not only are we getting a new crate, but we are going WHOLE HOG with a wicker-table-crate combo that will be her special den for life and DH's table by his recliner (the equivalent of his special den for life).  He hasn't agreed on this one in particular, but the idea of it being real furniture this time was his.  Something like this:

Crate picture  (takes a bit to load because it has moving graphics)

So, it will be a totally different crate than she's used to and in a different spot in the room.  She'll be fine with that, right?  I'd have her wool blankie and same crate pad (she'll be able to actually hang her head over the bolster around the edge that way like she likes).  Oh, and her crate toy, the stuffed bunny she's only been allowed to have in her crate since she was 15 lbs!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

The best marriages, I am convinced, are not of soul mates who see themselves in their mates.

They are of people with a lot to offer, but almost though not quite complete themselves,  who complement each other, filling in   or adding to the other,

not changing either of them so much as adding that little extra ingredient that allows the chemical change of cooking or the alchemy of two incomplete and flawed people who together are worth far more than the sum of their parts.

Kar - are you really by nature a woodworker?  or better for you and DH, one who waits and appreciates each of the steps of his building  just as he appreciates  ( but never second guesses )  your great homemaking skills.

My DH and I discussed the prev. post, I brought it up at dinner. 

He, woodworker of generations, said -  nice to build in cedar if generations will all have dogs, but then again, cedar shavings in small quantities will pet proof furniture .  If I were him, I would go with the best furniture design, which cannot be changed and will last generations,  over something like flea proofing.   Now termite proofing the exterior with cedar exterior boards and shakes ----    and we were on another discussion entirely.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

It looks like the Spanish mission style furniture with the slats for the dog space.

The nice thing (aside from not paying $400 for a simple to design piece he is quite capable of making)  is that you can decide the depth,  and have the back be either wire, or solid, or a hinged back door with a routered groove so you can slide a wire mesh down and swing the door all  the way open until flat against the outer table side.    Nice and neat and out of the way.  Very flexible.

A finish in keeping with the house  would make a big difference for me too.   I'm not big on buying sets and everything matchy matchy,  but I do like it when pieces acquired over time, whether antiques you refinish, or newly made or purchased,  all have a similar character. 

Your DH has obviously had this sense with your flooring, brick work, woodstove and the bannister  that showed in your pictures.  No commercial product would ever do as well as what he will make.   Gracie is a good age now,  past chewing stages.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Your dog was not unique, but a "child" of earlier times when a crate was not very popular.  A crate is very den like and appeals to the dog's den instinct.  It's supposed to mimic the hole dogs dig in the wild just big enough to turn around and change sleep positions while keeping them warm and out of the open.  It's their special place...with a door.  Pet owners use them to potty train because it's extremely against a dog's nature to soil it's sleeping quarters, and if it has no place to go it whines to come out when necessary in the night and in the morning.  No unpleasant discoveries to be found.  After that, usually the dog just loves it's space (if crate training is done properly) and oftentimes keeps it.  Other dog owners choose to kick the crate to the curb once potty training is over, but with a lab, prone to chew, I'm happy to keep it around so she's never alone in the house with free reign to chew the leather furniture, for instance.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Kargiver,
    My mother trained both of our golden retrievers (but we only had 1 dog at a time) to "stay on your towel" when they were wet (always), muddy (also always), snow-covered, or eating a bone from the butcher (there is blood and bone yuck that gets on carpets).

So if we brought them back from a walk in the woods, we would towel them off as much as possible (ha!) and then say "on your towel" and they would stay!  At the beginning we had to put them on it and tell them down and then remind them lots and lots and lots...

As adults they would go wherever in the kitchen their towel was put and they'd stay on it.  Or if eating a bone they could be in the rest of the house with us, but have to stay on their towel - and they totally got it. 

Therefore, when they grew out of their crates they could still be "crated" somewhere other than the carpet!  Many, many times they would get up once dry and the blue towel would be caked with dried mud and soaking wet.  Those are goldens, who have longer coats, but similar happens with a black lab - they get muddy and wet and take a while to dry.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

What I love about our pet community is that EVERYONE here loves their pets as much as we love ours.  All our pets here are lucky creatures.  That's what makes it so cool and helpful.  I don't know what I would have done if you guys hadn't helped me through the toughest months.

Thanks!!

~kar

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Waggie, I really have no sense of design.  I'm dyslexic and have a hard time with spacial tasks; I turn everything all backwards.  So, yes, I wait and appreciate the meticulous work DH does without so much as a suggestion (except that he might want to take a break for dinner!).  And, you nailed it - he appreciates my contributions, too, and never second guesses.  We are not the same people at all, but not opposites, either...complimentary pieces are not necessarily opposites, but they must be different or they don't fit together.

Thank you for getting your DH's take on it.  DH is doing his best to make the crate blend with the house and useful for as many generations as the house is a home for.   The outside will be done with beadboard insets to match portions of our walls and will be using the same oil-based paint to match the wainscoting and built-ins.  I can hardly wait.  I hope she'll like it as much as we will...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh, Kar this looks just beautiful. Maybe you should put in a heated pad for the floor. Is it going to have a roof and a door?
    Look at DH - admire him for working in his freezing cold garage. He could always go into the "custom made dog crate business" when he retires. But of course he would not enjoy it as much as building a rate for Gracie.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, goodness, I never thought of the heat since it is 0 out right now, but that's a great point.  We'll be sure to up the air circulation with a fan or, when it's really hot, put the central A/C on.

Well, the plan has changed.  DH is going to build one more like this that will match the house.  We bought the materials today!

Table crate

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Awww, that is sweet...and smart - Gracie doesn't know her own strength!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I've always said that easydoesit.  I want to come back as a dog or cat but I have to have an owner like me!  I think it is the loving unconditionally that makes our pets so special.  When I have a bad day at work, just opening the door and seeing how excited my dog is to see me and my cats coming downstairs in the noncholant way only cats can, brightens an otherwise bad day.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Whatawag,  I am so sorry and my heart breaks for you....  I have lost two cats that I had to put to sleep and I was devastated.  I can't imagine losing my dog, I will be a mess...  but the memories make them live on.  I hope this poem brings you some comfort...

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigour; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. 

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet,
    you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again.

The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together

.... Author unknown

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Sounds good to me.     Home is where the blankie is.   Will she be at the right hand of God,  as the expression goes?

Don't get rid of the old one, yet.  Some dogs will reject sleeping in a partly closed side crate  when the weather gets hot - they literally overheat.  Also in hot weather-  fleas get jumpy and active, so even having a few or some ear mites will put dog in a frenzy in hot weather/ closed lower wall crate,  when ordinarily they love the den/space.    You do not get lots of 83 plus days where you are, but you must get some.
         Sprinkle in flea powder under and around the lower part before putting in the cushion.

Looks like a deluxe doggy den  to me.

We do not crate- different set up - but sometimes laugh when at night a couple of the dogs go for under low table  spaces.  Particularly the females.  Protected den space,  I guess.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Okay.  No  more tears.   

Kargiver  - Fleas inhabit bedding, and any hairs, skin detritus  etc, when not crawling on a dog to feed on blood.
        Though they can jump 15-18 inches, the only time they do is when it is very warm, there is a new hatching,  and they are totally infested,  some bouncing high and wide for more victims  and territory..

Your dog will never be infested, the general area of the crate will never be filthy.  You would be dead on the floor before you let that happen.

So lining the top of the crate, which would be perfect for moths who like it high/ warm, and their larvae who crawl up to wherever the top of their hatching place is -  will do zip to deter, or kill  fleas, and prevent reproducing of these critters (which cedar fumes actually do.)

If the crate will be wire bottomed or bottomless, place it on a thin  piece of cedar, or spread cedar shavings on the bottom under cushion.

Otherwise, all sense says, cedar line the bottom and lower sides, leave upper sides and top without cedar so rising fumes do not cause doggie breathing problems.

DH and I laughed when I built our dog patio and stone wall, pen, to improve the original pen he put up that was great for 5 pups  at under 4 months, not for big dog pups after that.  He kept saying - he builds the people furniture,  I can do the doggie and kid stuff.

I have to tell him there is a manly man out there not above doing a dog crate, with enough style and finesse to call it house furniture!   Just to give him a hard time, of course!

As I laughingly heard my Dad tell DH when I was working on the patio,  -  she (me) is probably doing it herself because it is easier  to do it herself than to teach you either the ceramic tile, brickwork  or stone masonry skills you  would need to learn  to make a respectable dog and people patio.

Thank you, Daddy.   Take him down, just a notch, now and then.           Whatawag.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Dog owners, I have been following your thread, but I just do not understand, what this crate thing is all about. Please mind my ignorance.
    We had a Golden retriever for 13 years and never had a crate for her. She would just go to "her place" when asked. Her place was a soft sheep skin blanket - one upstairs in our kitchen and one downstairs in our family room. She would go there on her own, where ever we were. Never ever had to crate her. Maybe our dog was unique

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Recently beadboard and simple painted wood paneling  are being seen in home design again. ( not the cheap 6 foot, cover the walls 1/4 inch think  stuff that has given paneling a bad name,   but real wood)

A classic look,  and yes, durable with only surface touch up for years.
        Why should a real craftsman  not take pride in a lasting, attractive and functional piece to make a home?
        The wicker and other furniture pieces you found were far nicer than a puppy appropriate wire crate.  DH's design will be custom for your home.  Better still.

People I knew growing up invited us to their new home in Sugar Hill not long ago.
         Knowing they  lived the last 12 years or so in Manhattan, then Boulder CO.  I heard,  basic custom built log home they purchased, with additional deep Alpine porches and overhangs  and thought, wow.
          I was disconcerted to see hanging mylar strips with a fan breeze,  and a water feature; tubular shiny metal and acrylic furniture;   a kitchen with tiles in Provence colors of blues and yellows and reds, but no table, just plastic orange retro diner stools at a U shaped  shiny  counter.   All black pricey appliances.

I kept thinking of what my grandfather would say -  it is like building a fancy foyer with a crystal chandelier on an outhouse.  It don't go.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Oh, the love, consolation, empathetic howling, and loyal devotion the pets  give back!

I am sad today, our elderly Welsh Springer Spaniel died this morning.

She had reached 16 years- old for a Springer.  When I was just out of nursing school and living out Huntington beyond Northeastern, she jumped all her mighty 42 pounds up on a mugger, who slashed her right rear leg and haunch  muscle and severed some tendons, and nicked the bone down near the hock (elbow like joint.)
          The mugger  had to get ER treatment, and turned out to be a wanted rapist.  What she spared me, having waited 4 hours of my shift in the car, so I would not walk 2 blocks alone after parking at midnight.

2 years ago, when we built a ramp on our back entry/ lower floor in back up to the 2nd floor, she stopped doing any stairs.

She pretty much moved in with Grandpa,  Sarahbth (posts here) grandfather, in  the bottom level in-laws apt.  Grandpa lost his old collie just before moving in, Sandy was not up to our stairs  all the way up, and stayed on our lower level only. So she joined her long time companion, my older Malamute, on the deck, and all the dogs when in the lower level,  and at some point stopped coming up at night, warming Grandpa's hearth dog bed instead.

I miss her nuzzling- she ran out daily for greetings and hugs, and patiently put up with 4 babies in the yard and house, always good.  NID's and Mutes rarely bark - she and the Golden downstairs were the house watch dogs.

A good and loving soul.  She knew every inch of the pine needle bedded old logging roads in the National forest near here, has been a searcher for many a lost child and hiker,  up here and out RT 2 in Mass.   She logged many miles beside my hiking boots or bike.

Nothing like the heart of a great dog.   Goodnight, Sandy.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, pingo, I can hardly wait!  In fact, let me get an updated photo right now...DH is out there building away after our latest trip to Lowes this morning for special trim work. :)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Gosh, Wag, sorry, I must have been posting my update when you were posting your response.  Would you mind checking it out?  Thanks!!

~kar

P.S.  DH is thinking about lining the top with cedar.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Kar- I thought of you last night. I was out walking Max and I met a cute black lab puppy. The owner asked if I didn't mind letting the puppy sniff Max, as she was trying to teach him to be gentle with small dogs. It was so sweet.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

plus the off the shelf ones require assembly anyways. might as well do the whole shebang if you have the time and means.
    Not sure if I could build something like that in my apartment ;)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thank you!  Yes, DH designed and built much of the house himself.  I meant the picture to be Gracie centric -  I didn't even notice the background since I was just focusing on Gracie.  She is pretty shiney!  I think it's her food and the fact that I use the Furminator every day.  It gets not only her dead undercoat out, but dander and dust, too.  It's kind of expensive ($35?), but worth 100 brushes.