1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: how to get a dog not to mount?

As you know, Gracie responded VERY well to the coins.  GL, Pinkkie!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

Good luck Pink!  I was going to suggest a "Sit" or "down" command to distract him.  But that would only work if he's very responsive at the park.  Ours are not.

Our little girl is still easily frightened on walks when people or school busses pass us by.  When I see them coming, I give her a sit command & she does it (as long as she hasn't seen the big, scary thing approaching yet).  She will still cower a little as they pass, but she doesn't freak out & try to pull out of her harness anymore.  I think the distraction of a command helps stop her natural reaction.

BTW - what post did you girls talk abut food?  We are looking to switch from Wellness due to shall we say, consistency issues...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

hey, Pinkkie,

I was hoping someone else could help, but if you want good advice and are willing to pay $15 for it, I've had great success on a number of topics, including dog issues, from www.justanswer.com. They get right back to me with an expert answer that's proven right every time.

And, by the way, I've switched Gracie to Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken after it became super clear that she just didn't like the Taste of the Wild.  She used to eat it, but as of late she started starving herself 'til right before bed.  And, if I mixed anything with it to make it more palatable she'd s_ck it off and then spit out the food.  Nice.  She LOVES BB.  She even ate 75% of her daily portion before 9 AM.  She licks her bowl clean and asks for more every day.  I have to cut her off so she won't get fat!  Never thought I'd have that problem.  She always left food in her bowl with everything else.  THANKS for sharing your success with Max with it!!!!  I never would have known to try it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

the people at the dog park seem very nice, and I'm never too far away from him, just in case he decided to take off. he's not the only dog there who does it, which is why I think I'm having a tough time teaching him not to.
    sort of like how he throws a fit when the cat jumps up on the table, because he knows being on the table is not allowed.

I'm working on a stern "be nice" with treats when he does the right thing, and if he does mount I say "no" and then pick him up and take him away from that dog.

do you find Gracie picks out the little round chewy bits first? our cat does that before she eats the rest of the kibble.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

She should have LOVED the salmon formula - that stuff made me gag even dry; the whole pantry reeked.  But, you know, this BB Chicken flavor has a pretty strong scent for anything with chicken as the first ingredient...interesting!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

We give the cat Blue Buffalo. W used to give her Wellness, but I feel it made her skin a little dry, plus she far prefers the taste of Blue Buffalo.

Max has been on Just A Wee Bit by Solid Gold, Evo by Innova and Spot's Stew.
    Out of all of these, Spot's Stew is the one he seems to like the best and it's cheaper than the others. It has bigger kibble pieces, he seems to prefer that. He eats the salmon formula because he can't do processed chicken, it makes his feet itch.

But I feel Solid Gold, Spot's Stew and Blue Buffalo are all really great hollistic brands. Solid Gold also makes a food called "Barking at the Moon" for high energy dogs like terriers and beagles that you might want to check out. It's low in carbs and high in protein, so it helps manage their energy level and prevents obesity.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thank you! Cool

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, my, Pinkkie, I'm embarrassed to have you need to correct me about Max's food AGAIN!  I try to pay attention, I swear.  I forget you have a cat, too, and lump everything I know together with Max.  Sorry!  Embarassed

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Max is fully aware that he could get hurt. This is why he avoids larger dogs alltogether and only mounts dogs that are smaller than him and act submissive. Dogs that are more aggressive, regardless of size, he doesn't even approach.

I'll have my mom ask her trainer. I was hoping someone here had personal experience they could share.

Kar- I'm glad Gracie like Blue Buffalo! Our cat loves it too, even though she's a senior now and prefers soft food.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

I think a cold shower would work in this situation! :) 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

LOL! no, I doubt at the age of six he's become a cassanova. I just think that he wants more authority now that he's older, but being 12lbs. doesn't afford him very much of that.
    I'll just have to try stopping the mounting when it happens, letting the other dog sniff him, and then praise him when he plays like a normal dog should.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

:)

By the way, we started with quite a few coins a coffee can (very loud and relatively heavy), but turns out that a plastic drinking bottle with just a few coins worked just as well.  Our trainer used the latter to get too rough play broken up...it worked surprisingly enough.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

well my mom asked her trainer, and the trainer said to use a can of coins. I'll have to give it a try.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The food issue has come up in many threads.

Gracie was on Taste of the Wild duck until it started making her feet itch.  The doc said it was a reaction to the duck which was probably genetically modified to be high in feather/down production before it got shipped to the dog food company.  Then, we put her on the Taste of the Wild Salmon formula which didn't make her itch, but she HATED the taste of.  I just recently switched her to Blue Buffalo's Wildnerness Chicken because of Pinkkittie's experience with Max (although, I'm not sure what type of BB he eats).  I am VERY against grains in dog food so that was a top priority, but she has to like it, too.  She was literally holding out every night 'til about 7:30 before she reluctantly ate.  Now, she eats 1/2 her food in the morning and 1/2 in the afternoon on her own (the food is down all the time given her past issues).  She licks the bowl clean and asks for more.  The last straw with the Taste of the Wild was when I mixed it with liver mush, and she'd literally put it in her mouth, s_ck off the liver, and then spit out the kibble.  Nice. 

GL, tibird - good to see you, again.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I used to work at a doggy day care that sold hollistic foods. :)
    I'm a Jackie of all trades.

In Response to Re: how to get a dog not to mount?:
    [QUOTE]Wow Pink - you are so knowledgable!  Thanks!  I'll mention Solid Gold to DH, but if there is any power of suggestion in the name, I like it already :) I guess we are lucky in that the beagles will eat just about anything. For the longest time, we attributed his troubles to the endless amount of crap left on the street by college students.  Scout will appear to be innocently sniffing a bush & he'll come up with a half a slice of pizza in his mouth!   But we are pretty sure now that it's the food.  Luckily, I usually walk Molly.  She may be timid, but she has a cast iron stomach (plus I don't let her scavenge).
    Posted by tibird[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

Wow Pink - you are so knowledgable!  Thanks!  I'll mention Solid Gold to DH, but if there is any power of suggestion in the name, I like it already :)

I guess we are lucky in that the beagles will eat just about anything. For the longest time, we attributed his troubles to the endless amount of crap left on the street by college students.  Scout will appear to be innocently sniffing a bush & he'll come up with a half a slice of pizza in his mouth!   But we are pretty sure now that it's the food.  Luckily, I usually walk Molly.  She may be timid, but she has a cast iron stomach (plus I don't let her scavenge).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ew, good thing he spits those out!  His poor little digestive track...  Gracie doesn't try to eat non-edible things, but she does chew everything.  She loves to shred paper and cardboard.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hey, DWL!  Long time, no post.  What no interest in pages and pages and pages of Gracie's new crate?  ;)

Pinkkie, I have to agree, I hope you'll pursue this further.  Max could get really hurt!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

dogs have a really poor sense of taste, they only have a fraction of the taste buds that humans do.
    They rely on their sense of smell, and that can go two ways: If something doesn't smell strongly, they'll try and eat it anyway OR if something doesn't smell strongly, they assume it's not good to eat. Most kibble has a very faint smell, but some smell stronger than others. Wet food stinks to high heaven, that's why they love it so much!
    That's why dogs are either totally indiscriminate about what they eat or super picky.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That's a relief from both of your perspectives, I'm sure!  ;)  Oh, once Gracie ate a plastic bag; she had one hell of a time, but she passed it...and was it ever gross.  Good thing it didn't get lodged somewhere along the line.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Labs are supposed to like everything, too, doggie garbage disposals, but Gracie is a freak of nature, turning her nose up at even the best of food.  Even training treats didn't entice her if she was into something she wanted to do more than get the treat.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Max just tries to eat everything!
    Things he has tried to eat but spit out: tacks, rocks, seashells, corks, bottle caps, gum, styrofoam peanuts, coins.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

oh good. I was wondering where I'd get a can since DH & I don't drink coffee.
    a water bottle is easier to come by.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I have a squirt bottle with water in it and that's what we use to correct him at home, but because it's so effective, he's now terrified of the squirt bottle. We don't even have to squirt it anymore, just picking it up gets him to stop whatever it is he's doing. I don't think he'd let me put his leash on if I were holding it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I have read that carrying a spray bottle filled with water and squirting the dog when he behaves badly is one way to break a bad habit.