how to get a dog not to mount?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: how to get a dog not to mount?

Oh, that is good pinkie. I only had this one experience, and thought it could be why other dog owners might be upset. I certainly was.
    Maybe you just have a hor*y dog. LOL

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sorry, pinkkie - the only thing I can think of is to ask if he's fixed?  I didn't think neutered dogs did that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

he's swallowed some foreign objects before, but he does seem to have a cast-iron stomach, he's passed things that I don't think I could pass!
    *knock on wood* he's remarkably healthy for a toy breed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

That is so interesting Pink.  It probably explains why Amber would never touch dry food, ever.  I tried so many times.  It didn't help that Shih Tzu's are a very stubborn breed.  That is why I give her a milk bone every day and cook her a real beef bone with marrow every few weeks.  My vet is amazed at how good her teeth are.  I have learned so much on this board Laughing

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

he is fixed. I know it's a dominance thing, and not a sex thing. It seems to work best to let the other dogs correct him, as he needs to learn it's not proper dog etiquette, but there are some that are too submissive and some owners get a little upset.
    I know it must be an insecurity thing, and that's why I'm not sure how to correct him without making him feel more insecure.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

how to get a dog not to mount?

Max has suddenly developed a bad habit at the dog park. He tries to mount dogs his size or smaller.
    I've tried correcting him, but it's tough because I don't want him to think I'm telling him not to play with other dogs.
    Bigger dogs he just avoids because he's been played with too roughly in the past by big dogs.
    Most dogs will turn around and make him stop, and he gets the message and then leaves them alone, but some dogs are too small and some owners get too upset about it.
    Any suggestions?
    He's 6 years old and it's never really been a big problem.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Pinkie,
    I think you have to talk to a dog trainer about this. Or read some books about dog behavior. I go not have any to recommend you, unfortunately.
    I can easily see other dog owners being upset. My spayed female dog had a great playmate, a male dog next door. That was until he started to mount her. She would come back in the house all smeared in his semen and stinking just awful. She was a Golden with long haired coat, and that stuff was impossible to get rid of. Besides I got sick and tired of bathing her every day. I did talk to my lovely neighbors, but there was really not much they could do. He was already neutered, but I guess even though there are no sperm, the gel like liquid will still be produced.  And that stuff really stink. Oh boy does it ever stink. Eventually they moved out for other reasons. Sad for us, but it solved the problem.
    I wish, I could be of more help. Good luck to find a solution.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, gosh, I have no idea...wish I could help.  You've given me so much good advice.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Well, that's good you essentially know the people there and he's safe.  Not that I thought you'd let him be unsafe...you know.

Gracie does prefer the round bits, but I only know because if she drops any she picks those up first, but when she sticks her head into the bowl her big muzzle won't allow her to be that discrete.  She just chomps away!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

gross! FWIW I've never seen any liquid come out of him, even before he was fixed when he used to mount the throw pillows.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Max eats the way most chihuahuas do. Pick up a few pieces, walk away from the bowl, eat them and then go back for more.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

An owner could kick him or something, you never know...people are mean and unpredictable. :(

Thanks!  She is still eating at least half of her daily food before noon, now.  I owe you!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

thanks, Kar!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

LOL, Kar I couldn't possibly expect anyone on here to keep things like that straight. don't sweat the details. :) no worries!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

As long as your dog is mounting other dogs and trying to dominate them, you run the risk of your dog getting into a fight, particularly if you are relying on the other dogs to correct it.  All it takes is one fight to make your dog fear-aggressive with other dogs.