1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCNewsEditor. Show BDCNewsEditor's posts

Ikea releases 100 cats into store

IKEA recently released 100 house cats into their Wembley store in the UK "just to see what happened." The experiment was done at night after the store was closed and chronicled in this YouTube video. Animal trainers, pet owners, and a camera crew were on hand to help out.  The cats were filmed crawling into drawers, walking along ceiling beams, staking out comfy chairs, and on occasion, hissing at each other.

What do you think about the experiment?  Can you imagine taking your cat to such an event?

I have two cats. My female kitty (Maggie) would have had a blast and gotten along well with the other felines. However, my male cat (Kenny) would have been a nightmare. He does not play well with others!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teesa. Show Teesa's posts

Re: Ikea releases 100 cats into store

What was the purpose?  I LOVE all animals, but don't understand the reason for this.  Now when someone who is allergic to cats goes to Ikea they won't be able to stay in the store or buy anything that the cats have been on or near - I don't get it.
    But ... hope the cats had a ball  ;o)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I agree with the allergy comment.  People with allergies can avoid stores they know allow animals, but if I were to shop at Ikea I'd assume that store wasn't one of them.  If I shopped there and my eyes itched and burned for a week because of it, I'd be TICKED. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JackPDB. Show JackPDB's posts

Well, let's be fair: they didn't do it "just to see what happened." They were shooting a commercial. And here's how it turned out. Adorable and effective, IMHO.
    - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Jack

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maldenlady. Show Maldenlady's posts

I dunnoo -- I'm not crazy about a company that would do something like that...too much potential for some kitty to get hurt...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It is cute and emotionally effective.  However, I stand by my thought that I'd be ticked to go in that store afterward and about scratch my eyes out for a week.  "Surprise, there were 100 cats in here," isn't nearly as cute as the ad.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I agree that this is not great for people with allergies who will be visiting the store, and I would VERY much worry that a cat could get hurt during this event... Maude didn't say anything about a vet being on hand just in case.  It seems quite careless to me, as are many things done in the name of making a buck.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tgihal. Show tgihal's posts

O.K. I am a little late to this conversation, however; I just now saw the actual clip.
    There were 100 (+/-) cats involved.  I am not sure of the number of patrons that enter an Ikea store a day, but there is a much higher chance of one of them tracking in and leaving an allergen such as cat or dog hair, peanut residue, pollen, what have you, than the cats leaving their dander behind.  Most of the merchandise at Ikea is stored separate from the display items and would not be impacted either.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahMSP. Show SarahMSP's posts

That commercial could have been shot with a few cats in a controlled setting. I've handled pet cats for TV shoots and it is easy to have something unwanted happen very quickly. Never has on my watch but know it can. Luckily they got the cat out of the wall and the ceiling area.

Would have lobbied hard against this and offered easier to shoot and cat safer alternatives if they had consulted me for professional input.

FWIW

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from annieluvrose. Show annieluvrose's posts

In Response to Ikea releases 100 cats into store:
    IKEA recently released 100 house cats into their Wembley store in the UK "just to see what happened." The experiment was done at night after the store was closed and chronicled in this YouTube video . Animal trainers, pet owners, and a camera crew were on hand to help out.  The cats were filmed crawling into drawers, walking along ceiling beams, staking out comfy chairs, and on occasion, hissing at each other. What do you think about the experiment?  Can you imagine taking your cat to such an event? I have two cats. My female kitty (Maggie) would have had a blast and gotten along well with the other felines. However, my male cat (Kenny) would have been a nightmare. He does not play well with others!
    Posted by BDCMaude

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from annieluvrose. Show annieluvrose's posts

how dumb can one get? i love cats and i would find it a lot of fun to see cats wandering all over Ikea...i do not especially like dogs tho, and would hate it if dogs were released..there are plenty of people who are afraid of, allergic to, or simply dislike cats.
    this country's obsession with animals is out of control...the rich carrying little dogs everywhere in little "dog purses"..the animal "spas"
    i think animals should be well treated, fed, have a good home etc.  but while there are people starving everywhere in the world(and yes, even in boston) and people without medical care, and elderly who eat catfood because they can afford nothing else, and children whose shoes are too small, the obsession with animals is ridiculous.  i adore my lovely calico cat and she is like one of the family to us...but when we have company, she is put downstairs...that is the kind thing to do for guests...i know i am really tired of being invited to someone's home and having their smelly ,drooly dog jump on me, or (on one occasion) tear up my purse....
    Ikea is a store whose products i love..and have...they usually make good sense..with their food area etc..and their willingness to let kids run around and try out the furniture..but letting cats all over the place..and i am a cat lover..is cruel to the customers and to the cats.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from annieluvrose. Show annieluvrose's posts

i know it was in the UK but animal obsession may not be a lot better there...i can imagine my family in the uk thinking this is good..and THEY are cat lovers as well

Sections
Shortcuts