1. You have chosen to ignore posts from amrunner. Show amrunner's posts

indestructible chew toys

Does anyone have any suggestions for indestructible chew toys for my 10 month old puppy? She's been chewing through Nyla bones and I'd like to have something to give her to distract her when she tries to chew on things she's not suppossed to. She hasn't managed to mangle her kong yet, but she doesn't seem to enjoy chewing on that as much.

Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Re: indestructible chew toys

hooves are pretty good for strong chewers.  buy them at petco, you can get them filled or unfilled.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Are you giving her the Nylabones for powerful chewers.  My dog used to go through the regular ones like crazy but hasn't been able to make a dent in the extra hard ones (of course he doesn't enjoy chewing on those as much).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Raw bones will work as will raw knuckles.  They can be a little messy, but they are really good for them.  Bully stick are good, but make sure you get ones that are the appropriate size.  If they are too small, they'll chew them up pretty quickly and that may lead to vomiting them back up.

You can also buy the plush toys with no stuffing. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

DirtyWater, do you feed raw bones from the grocery store to your dog or are they specialty ones from a pet store?  I just discovered that my local grocery store carries them.  My husband's parents always boiled them so I've been boiling them about 10 minutes before giving them to my dogs, but I just recently read an article that said any sort of cooking can be bad and make the bones splinter.  I'm worried about bacteria with feeding them raw though.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

Our beagles were destroying any balls that we gave them.  We bought a chuck it Recycled Remmy ball.  And our destroyer just chews on it constantly.  We can distract him with it & after a few fetches, he just sits down with it & chomps on it until he's worn out.  Something about the squishing of it must comfort him.  But the thing hasn't broken (unlike every tennis ball!)
    And have you tried putting peanut butter in your Kong?  Ours get that as a treat and then they will randomly pick up the empty Kongs and chew since it still smells yummy.
    Good luck!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Antlers work well too, though they can be hard to find around here.  My little guy is a super chewer and destroys anything plush in minutes.  There are a few nylon/ rubber toys from Petsmart that are still alive and kicking at my house and some tennis balls (they last a couple of weeks).  His Kong and Nylabone are both in good shape, but are the "extreme" and "powerful" chewer versions. 

Oh, I also give him ice cubes to chew on.  He bats them around the floor and plays with them, then chomp, chomp, chomp.  We started that when he was teething, but he still enjoys them.  I haven't done it, but suppose you could make ice cube out of chicken or beef broth, too.  I just prefer that it melt to water since he is usually on my rug playing with it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Raw bones are OK if you freeze them first.  It's parasites you have to worry about, and, as DWL told me and I confirmed with my own research, freezing kills them.  I get Gracie's from the grocery store; they're labeled "marrow bones."  You can ask the butcher if you don't see any.

I also second his suggestion for the stuffingless creatures.  They last and last unless you need the squeaker in the head to stay in tact to consider it useful.  Gracie hates the squeakers so I actually cut them out of the head before I give them to her.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I'm encouraged to hear good things about the stuffingless critter toys.  I picked up a fox with a squeaker in the head adn one in the tail for Jax for Christmas.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Here's Gracie with her rooster.  She's a bird dog, after all, so we buy the duck and rooster. :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I wouldn't recommend bully sticks for powerful chewers. Max can tear through an entire 20" bully stick in 48 hours, and that's WAY too much bull tendon for a 12 pound dog to be eating at one time.

I'd go with hooves, bones or antlers.

stuffingless critters are great! Max doesn't often tear the stuffing out of his toys anymore, but he likes how easy the stuffingless ones are to carry around and play with.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpuppy. Show bigpuppy's posts

Bosco eats nearly everything I give him, particularly anything that's fabric-based (and I mean eats, not just chews). I started giving him the ice cubes when he was teething and he still loves them, although of course they only last about 10 seconds. He isn't that crazy about his Kong or the nylabones, but one of his favorites is a hockey puck. I started using that when he was teething also and put it in the freezer for a little while before giving it to him. He eventually pebbles it down, but one does last quite a while and it's small enough that he can bat it around the room and play with it before 'catching' it and chewing.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Gracie only likes her Kong if there's something in it.  I take 1/3 of a very ripe banana and smear it all inside the traditional "Kong" shape.  Peanut butter works, too, as well as apple pieces that are large enough to not just fall out.

Bosco eats fabric?  Bummer!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Max will only eat fabric if it's smelly. DH can't leave dirty socks on the floor or Max will chew them right up.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Kar, thanks for the advice on freezing the raw bones.  I'll give that a try.

My Penny takes the squeakers right out of the stuffingless toys within 10 seconds.  We have the fox that use to have a squeaker in the head... now it has no head at all but she still plays with the body.  I don't bother getting any stuffed toys anymore since they end up in that state within minutes.  I feel bad for Dublin since he's never ever destroyed a stuffed toy and I have dozens of them in our basement now that he had for years and still look brand new.  I guess I'm just hoping Penny will outgrow it.... and sometimes I run down and sneak one for him to play with when Penny's out of the house.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Jax chews fabric and (thankfully) spits it out, leaving little wads of toy or blanket or whatever he got into all around the house.  Cute, huh?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Nov- that just made me crack up! I used to joke that Max was like a guru, eating bits of cloth to ceremoniously clear out his insides- only I know we're both just lucky he can never tear off too big a piece!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Denisefla. Show Denisefla's posts

Beware of Marrow Bones. I bought them for my Weimaraners. I also boiled them for ten minutes, to remove the FAT content. However, beware of giving them to your dogs. They will still put on mounds of fat very quickly. My male weim was 150lbs, then he had to diet (my fault of course). I also found out he could actully chew up the bone. Then throw up the tiny peices. Very dangerous @ choking etc. I urge you to NOT use the grocery store marrow bones. Ask your Vet about gaining weight on the dog, it leads to hip displacement, an all kinds of issues. I learnt the hard way, Denise B. Daytona Beach

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Can ice crack dogs' teeth?  I know more than one human who's broken a tooth chewing ice.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I also think she might be getting a hockey puck in her stocking.  Thanks! 
    Posted by amrunner

I was thinking the same thing!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

most puppies won't break a tooth on a small ice cube. if you're worried about that you can soak an old washcloth or sock in water and freeze it for chewing.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Thanks for the tips on the marrow bones.  At most I've only been doing them once a week or so, not daily.  I didn't even think of how fattening they are but will keep that in mind. 

I've actually been worried about my little guy gaining weight since we got the puppy since he seems to eat almost as much as her and she's twice his size.  But I've been weighing him every week and if anything he's lost a few ounces.  I can only guess its because he's been getting so much more exercise with her around.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, yeah, the fattening treats add up - bones, pig ears, etc.  Gracie is VERY prone to weight gain so I'm always thinking about it and restricting treats.  If my DH had his way with giving her treats, she'd be 500 lbs by now!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

too funny, Kar! That's how my mom is with Max. The morning after Thanksgiving she was giving him all kinds of treats, in spite of the fact that he got TONS of scraps the day before. if he lived with her he'd be 20 pounds.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Funny!  I hate being the heavy...no pun intended, but what can I do?!

Sections
Shortcuts