1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpuppy. Show bigpuppy's posts

Re: indestructible chew toys

Bosco is such a little con artist when he's trying to scam additional treats. He just sits in front of the kitchen counter where the dog biscuit jar is as if I'll forget the last time I gave him one.

I swear, there is nothing more hopeful than the look in a Labrador's eyes when he thinks he's getting a treat (or going to the dog park)!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

My mom is banned from dog sitting after she confessed to feeding Dublin hamburgers from McDonald's one day!  No wonder my childhood cocker spaniel was obese and weighed 60+lbs (probably should have weigh about 20).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

robingirl, another option is to divide her food in half so she can eat twice a day, but not any more than she gets now.  that will keep her from being full for an hour or so, then getting hungrier and hungrier (and therefore begging harder and harder) over the next 18 to 24 hours.  I also wonder if it's better for them to eat twice because their bodies won't think they are "starving" and therefore keep the weight on them?  that's what our bodies do when we are dieting - our bodies can think we are starving and slow the metabolism so we don't lose weight.  very frustrating.  but I don't know that about dogs, I just wonder how much fun it can be to be really, really, hungry for 10 or more hours when eating only once every 24 hours.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e. Show 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e's posts

A long time ago I used to give my half-Newfie doggie friend lacrosse balls. They were the only thing he couldn't chew up and swallow.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Bosco and Gracie are so much alike!  She sits by the pantry door and howls like she's starving. 

I even upped the number of times she was fed per day to 3, and it didn't matter.  So, we're back down to twice a day.  Puppies should always eat more than once a day, by the way.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpuppy. Show bigpuppy's posts

Kar, they do seem alike in many ways, but I fear that gracie is much better behaved than bosco and you are much wiser than I - I've learned a lot since finding this board (although I tried the coins in a can trick and Bosco thought that was a fun new game - no effect whatsoever!). Perhaps one day they'll have a playdate.

Bosco pretty much looks at the world like it's one big buffet - the things that go in (and out) of that dog! But, the one thing i've been consistent about is his feed schedule - 2 cups in the morning and 1-1/2 cups in the evening. His treats are organic dog biscuits and rawhide chewies. He gets his special treats on sundays - one scrambled egg in the morning and chicken and rice for dinner. Those are about the only 'people' foods that don't give him terrible gas.

Granted, he's only 20 months (tomorrow!) but he's a solid 85 lbs. and is very well defined. I try to get him about 5 miles a day in walks and playtime.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Gracie is well behaved, but keep in mind I've been a bit of a control freak about her training (my DH might say "completely controlling raving lunatic"), and I am a stay at home wife and puppy mom so I worked with her constantly those first 6 months, especially.    Maybe the coins only work on little impressionable puppies...I don't know!  I don't think I'm particularly wise, per se, (but thanks) just extreeeeeeeeemely consistent. I often feel the need to remind my DH that there's a word for 99% consistent - we call it inconsistent!  Don't I sound like fun to live with?!  LOL

Gracie eats about the same amount as Bosco if you factor in the ~1/2 cup of blueberry treats she gets for rewards for good behavior.  She gets 1 1/2 cups morning and evening of her kibble.  Plus, special treats of pig ears and marrow bones once a week or so.  She also sees the world as a buffet that's just out of reach.  She cries at the counter's edge like she's starving and abused.

I am in the Quabbin area, about 70 miles from Boston?  You?    Gracie turned 19 months on December 1.  She's also muscular and gets a lot of exercise - no Flabradors here!  DH takes her through the woods for miles every Saturday and Sunday, and we play fetch pretty hard here in the yard on weekdays.  They're a perfect match!    Not sure my DH would go for this idea, but I hope so if we are close enough.

~kar

P.S.  Oh, yeah the GAS!  If we feed her much else she gets gas, too, and man is it bad...P U!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

Very interesting!  I love the puck idea, I may have to try that.  One thing about the hooves though, we bought one for Missie after lots of recommendations, she loved it.  The problem was that it stunk up the entire house!  As soon as we walked in from outside, all you could smell was hoof, gross!  Plus, she was eating it and throwing it up, so needless to say, no more hooves.  We have bought filled bones from Petsmart (I can't think what kind of bone) and she spends hours on them. 

Kind of related, but what kind of pet bed/blanket is indestructable?  Missie has torn apart everything!  She even tore apart the plastic crate pan!  We've gone through about 4 blankets, 3 beds and right now she has a little pet blanket I found at Target for $2.50.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpuppy. Show bigpuppy's posts

I'm in Waltham and work in Boston so that's a bit of a haul. Maybe one day ... Bosco would loooooove the romps through the woods. I don't dare let him loose when he's by himself (everything is more interesting than Mom calling him) but he's good when he's got a playmate or two to follow.

Teeny - Bosco was a champion bed chewer. He went through everything I tried for him and it wasn't even for him to sleep in/on since he sleeps in the bed. The only thing I found that he won't chew is a 4x6 piece of fairly deep pile carpet remnant that he loves. I didn't think it would work since he chews all of the other area rugs (which are now sequestered in the basement), but he loves the ugly old remnant and that's where he usually lays down to eat his chewies and toys.

And I hear you with the hoof smell - his first one was his last one. He's a hockey puppy, though, and since there are always pucks around the house that is his favorite. I'll just give you fair warning of his favorite trick - continually bat it or let it roll under the couch and laugh as Mom has to continually bend down to fish it out!

Good luck!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

hahaha, oh my goodness that's so funny!  I actually did put in a small cat carpet, that they use outside the litter box (clean) but she tore that apart too.  Maybe actual carpet will deter her though!  I'll have to look around!  Awesome idea!

And our dogs have us well-trained, don't they?  I think the entertainment in their toys is watching mama and daddy contort themselves into all kinds of positions to fetch them!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, gosh, Waltham...yeah, that really is a haul.  Too bad for our perfect would-be buddies.  I figured; there aren't too many posters here that live out here in the Worcester hils.

DH started taking Gracie through the woods alone and off leash when she was very young (imo too young to go that far on developing hips, but I lost that battle).  So, she's very used to it and doesn't seem to think about running off.  And, at home, she has an e-collar/invisible fence that gives her about an acre including some woods and the front and back yards.

Hockey pucks...hm.  I wonder if they are safe chemically.  I think of it only because Gracie had a terrible reaction to a tennis ball she chewed up after she exposed the rubber underneath the fuzzy layer.  She had recurring hives (every time the Benedryl wore off) for about 2 weeks from it. So, anything not meant for chewing I wonder about.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpuppy. Show bigpuppy's posts

Bosco might just have a great immune system, but nothing he eats seems to faze him. Despite my best efforts to watch him, he's a fast little bugger and it astounds me what he manages to scarf.

I think the hockey pucks are just vulcanized rubber, but you might be right. Even though he eventually pebbles parts of them off, he rarely actually eats the pieces (I think it's much more amusing for him to just leave the mess in the middle of the floor). He does love his tennis balls, too, and he's never had a reaction to them.

Since he eats any other types of toys, it seems that he likes the ones that he can bat or bounce around. He even plays with his rawhide chewies before settling in with them. As a puppy, his absolute favorite was an empty, rinsed out 2-liter soda bottle because he couldn't get his mouth around it and it just bounced all over the house - hysterical.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm pretty sure Gracie didn't swallow one bit of the tennis ball; all the tiny pieces were all over the floor, and she's interestingly enough not much of an eater of non-food items.  She's not the only one who had that reaction to tennis balls; I learned that that was the culprit from another lab owner who had the same problem.

Funny about the soda bottle!  Gracie did the same thing with DH's Poland Springs carbonated liter bottles.  Can you believe it?  We've had chocolate and black versions of the exact same dog!