Introducing new pet

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Re: Introducing new pet

yeah, that's why I recommended a visit to the shelter. She might be more likely to respect the opinion of experts when considering taking a new dog into the home. these are the people who have seen what happens when a new dog comes into the picture and the situation becomes too much for the owner to handle. They're very good at giving people reality-checks.
    with her lifestyle, she cannot get a puppy. you can't leave a puppy at home 12 hours a day or more.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

all right, well, hope everything turns out for the best!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Introducing new pet

removed

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You can't delete an OP.  However, you can edit to your heart's content.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Hm, we can't delete anymore?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think the answer is in the OP.  "This dog is NOT good with other dogs."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Kar - same here.  This particular person in general is very much like that, and I'm totally seen as a "downer" if I bring up negative possibilities.  We were brought up pretty close, but we could NOT be more different!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Thanks for your input.  I just responded to her email - I couldn't keep putting it off...  I REALLY hope she researches this, and said that in my email.  I can see her saying "It will be fine!" and just doing it.  She currently is between jobs, so is home a lot.  But when she was working she would be gone from like 7-7 every day.  I used to be a dog owner, and have very strong feelings about a dog being left alone for that long every day (she did not see the need for a dog-walker - I brought it up more than once).

There's not a lot I can do except offer my opinion when asked. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Go with her to a local shelter like the Animal Rescue League or MSPCA. She can tell them she has a husky and wants to get him a companion. They are experts at introducing dogs, and they always insist the current dog and the "new" dog meet somewhere neutral to see if they'll be a good fit.
    They'll also talk to her about the importance of matching energy levels. If you have a high energy dog, getting antoher dog that's more easy-going can be a nightmare because the calmer dog will get irritated with the high energy dog, which can cause fights.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think the tendency toward assessing vs. ignoring risk is ingrained in a person's psyche when they are born.  A parent can shape it, but not change it completely.

"Fantasy" people tend to dismiss EVERYONE who speaks of any negative possibility, but it's worth a try.

Poppy, when you say "upstairs" is it two apartments, or is she living with you in your house?  If it's the latter, you CAN and should say "no."  Not comfortable, for sure, but a lot MORE comfortable than having a huge problem on everyone's hands for her having gotten a puppy despite all good advice to the contrary.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Kar - she lives in a separate apartment upstairs from DH and I.  I thought it was nice that she kind of asked my opinion (in a "just wanted to make sure you're ok with that" way), rather than just doing it.  It opened the door for me to GIVE my opinion. 

Pink - It seems that she's already chosen which puppy she would get, and it's from a breeder.  I didn't actually suggest she go to a shelter because I knew that she would dismiss that, but I did tell her where she could look for resources (Humane Society, MSPCA, etc) for how to introduce the dogs, and mentioned the danger of the puppy being severely hurt, whether intentionally or not, by the older dog.  We'll see!

p.s. I'm going to remove my initial post because it could identify her, if she or anyone she knows reads this thread by any chance...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I now worry for this new puppy.  Hope in the future you can give us a positive update poppy!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I know people with the risk management style of "nothing bad will ever happen."  They call me a "pessimist" for exploring the possible outcomes and doing what I can to mitigate the riskier and more harmful outcomes and to cause the good ones.  Letting life happen to you in a "positive" fog isn't fun or optimistic to me.

Good luck!!!