1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Invisible fence - will it be traumatic and cruel???

I'm about to order an invisible fence for our 5 month old lab.  She's about 55 lbs.  It has 3 settings and claims to be OK for a very small dog on the lowest setting.

Of course, the pros are obvious.  We will be able to let her run and play free of a tether!  No worries about her wandering off and getting hit by a car, stolen, eaten in the woods by a bear, or even in the neighbor's backyard.  The garden will be Gracie-free, too, keeping her clean and our peppers in tact.

But, we're worried we're being cruel and that she might be afraid to go outside after the first zap.

Does anyone have experience with this? 

TIA!!

~kar

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Re: Invisible fence - will it be traumatic and cruel???

Dogs can also get used to the jolt and become desensitized. That's what happened with my aunt's dog. After a while, it was like the jolt wasn't even there.

In Response to Re: Invisible fence - will it be traumatic and cruel???:
    [QUOTE]One downside is that dogs can get out if they're motivated enough, especially when they get bigger -- and, since they know what's going to happen when they go back through, they won't. They'll stay outside the confines of it and wander as they please. A former co-worker has a pair of labs who escape their invisible fence often enough that it's a huge problem. The dogs wanted to get down to the lake nearby and were willing to put up with the pain to get there. It kept them contained when they were puppies, but was less effective as they got older. Bigger dogs can take more pain.
    Posted by Ariel81916[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukes58. Show lukes58's posts

put up a real fence or just spend the time with her outside and proper training that she won't run off -- an invisible fence is cruel -- she will try to get out at one point or another and get zapped -- would you do that to your kid.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

OK, sounds good, friends.  Thanks for the input. I'm going for it, and hopefully, she'll stay contained.  She's not a tiny puppy, now, so maybe we won't have the problem of her growing out of it.  At least I don't have to worry about damaging her psyche.  :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tgihal. Show tgihal's posts

we just installed one for our 3 month old puppy, and i ahd the very same concerns you expressed, and it was the best thing we could do, she learned after the second little jolt, with no crying or injury
    i cant recommend it highly enough

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ariel81916. Show Ariel81916's posts

One downside is that dogs can get out if they're motivated enough, especially when they get bigger -- and, since they know what's going to happen when they go back through, they won't. They'll stay outside the confines of it and wander as they please.

A former co-worker has a pair of labs who escape their invisible fence often enough that it's a huge problem. The dogs wanted to get down to the lake nearby and were willing to put up with the pain to get there. It kept them contained when they were puppies, but was less effective as they got older. Bigger dogs can take more pain.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I knew someone who had an ivisible fence for their sheltie and it seemed just fine. It really depends on the dog. Max would be terrified, he's very sensitive and if something hurts him once he's not likely to ever do it again. But my aunt had a german shepard that would blow through the invisible fence all the time, so she ended up having to put up a real one.
    Maybe talk to your trainer or vet and see if they recommend a certain brand or somthing.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hm. 

No, lukes, I wouldn't do this to a child, but she's a dog, and from other posters' comments it seems that they don't mind it that much especially if they learn to tolerate it to the point that it no longer contains them or never even does to begin with.  The area would be HUGE - way bigger than we would build a physical fence for (and it would extend into the woods, much to Gracie's glee).  As for whether I'd do it to a kid, of course not!  But, of course, I wouldn't put my child in a crate, either.  Gracie loves her crate and goes into hers every night on her own when she's ready for bed and whines for me to come shut the door.  If I were to do that to a child I'd be locked up myself and for good reason.

So, now, instead of worrying it will be torture for her, I'm worried she's headstrong enough to just not care and bound through it.  I guess if that happens we can just send it back.

Thanks, again, all.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Heather, good info about the size of the collar.  Gracie's neck is growing faster than her legs!  We did just have to replace her regular collar for the second time.  Thanks for that input, especially.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

My parents have an electric fence for their dog, a beagle, and it works great.  There are definitely times when she will bolt through it (i.e. when she thinks the neighbor's cat is within reach) but most often she enjoys her time outside. 

I think the most important thing is to work hard on the training with the fence. If you do a good job training Gracie she shouldn't have a problem.  I know that you have personal training sessions for her, maybe you could center a few around working with the fence.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunshinemrs. Show sunshinemrs's posts

I wouldn't put it as rudely as some of the other posters but I really don't like invisible fences and I would vote for a regular fence.

We had a lab and an invisible fence and he was terrified of the borders of the yard - so much so that you couldn't get him to cross back into the yard.  The only way to get him in and out was through the garage door.

Also, long story on the logistics of this happening, but I was shocked in the arm by the invisible fence collar and it HURT! I just couldn't do this to a dog, especially in the neck. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

that's victoria stilwell. At least spell the poor woman's name right if you're going to trumpet her methods.

[QUOTE]baby boy's don't feel circumcision either - what a crock -- whether its a dog or a kid, its a living breathing thing and you are intentially risking causing it pretty good pain -- watch victor snelgrove on animal planet - its me or the dog -- she'll tell you the same thing -- she'll also have you put the collar on and walk through the fence to get the real feel of it -- responsible pet owners don't need to zap their animals to get them to behave, stay, whatever -- and turning up the heat so to speak when the dog gets use to the original zap setting - wowee i'm sure glad i'm not your dog.
    Posted by lukes58[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

clc, what a great idea!  I can have our trainer come to the house; she does do that, I know. 

Sunshine's warning, though, was exactly what I'd feared.  Gracie was barking in her sleep last night, and I actually got up, opened her crate, and pet her 'til she quieted down. I can't hurt her on purpose.  But, there are so many more positive than negative stories, and I couldn't live with her wandering off and getting lost in the woods.  A solid fence is out of the question.  Much too large an area to enclose. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]I wouldn't put it as rudely as some of the other posters but I really don't like invisible fences and I would vote for a regular fence. We had a lab and an invisible fence and he was terrified of the borders of the yard - so much so that you couldn't get him to cross back into the yard.  The only way to get him in and out was through the garage door. Also, long story on the logistics of this happening, but I was shocked in the arm by the invisible fence collar and it HURT! I just couldn't do this to a dog, especially in the neck. 
    Posted by sunshinemrs[/QUOTE]

Sunshine - this is constructive.  Thanks, personal bad experiences is exactly what I was looking for in the "cons" side.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

[QUOTE]clc, what a great idea!  I can have our trainer come to the house; she does do that, I know.  Sunshine's warning, though, was exactly what I'd feared.  Gracie was barking in her sleep last night, and I actually got up, opened her crate, and pet her 'til she quieted down. I can't hurt her on purpose.  But, there are so many more positive than negative stories, and I couldn't live with her wandering off and getting lost in the woods.  A solid fence is out of the question.  Much too large an area to enclose. 
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Well, if you think protecting a large area with an invisible fence is going to be cheap, think again.  Why not just put up a pen?  Every army in the world keeps dogs; happy, healthy, and well exercised - using pens.  Your place can't be bigger than an army base.  I used an indoor invisible fence, the Zone, to keep my dog off the rugs.  Cost me like 80 bucks. Gave her such a shock she yelped like she had been stabbed. I threw it away. There are other ways.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukes58. Show lukes58's posts

baby boy's don't feel circumcision either - what a crock -- whether its a dog or a kid, its a living breathing thing and you are intentially risking causing it pretty good pain -- watch victor snelgrove on animal planet - its me or the dog -- she'll tell you the same thing -- she'll also have you put the collar on and walk through the fence to get the real feel of it -- responsible pet owners don't need to zap their animals to get them to behave, stay, whatever -- and turning up the heat so to speak when the dog gets use to the original zap setting - wowee i'm sure glad i'm not your dog.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukes58. Show lukes58's posts

that's right - sorry snelgrove is the chick who was killed by a boston cop during a red sox victory celebration -- shoot me for making a mistake -- still think the invisible fence is cruel and wrong

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, she looks abused, doesn't she...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]hey, you asked for an opinion -- i gave you one -- sorry if it wasn't what you wanted to hear -- i think they are cruel -- one of the words you used in your original question -- don't ask the question if you don't really want the answer

True, but after so many people said they work and their dogs learned without adverse effects I figured it was fine.  It seems you have no experience with it personally like the others do.

And, the passive aggressive "sorry" isn't necessary.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukes58. Show lukes58's posts

hey, you asked for an opinion -- i gave you one -- sorry if it wasn't what you wanted to hear -- i think they are cruel -- one of the words you used in your original question -- don't ask the question if you don't really want the answer

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

the fence in my mother's back yard was 8ft tall, and as I said, it didn't stop the raccoons.

The trick to avoid attracting wild animals is to not have food or water outside. No bird baths, no bird feeders, locked trash recepticles, no pet food, and no vegetables in the garden.

[QUOTE]i wasn't suggesting it would make it more likely -- just saying that if you leave your dog outside alone in a yard with an invisible fence, the fence doesn't prevent wild animals from getting in -- whereas a tall 'real fence' would

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

No one I know who's used an invisible fence ever had an issue with a coyote or a raccoon attacking their dog.
    There's no way an invisible fence makes your dog any more or less likely to be attacked by a wild animal. Dogs are sometimes attacked when they are out walking with their owners.

My mother used to have a real fence in her backyard, it never stopped the raccons and skunks from getting in.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukes58. Show lukes58's posts

i think the size of the dog doesn't matter - sure a raccoon may not kill a lab, but there is rabies to consider, bites from another animal, etc.  - also, there are coyotes and foxes all around where i live and i'm assuming if kar lives near the woods, they are around her too -- they aren't scared off by a lab especially if pups are involved -- i didn't even think about the fact that other animals could get into the invisible fence as opposed to the pet getting out of it

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ariel81916. Show Ariel81916's posts

Coyotes, wolves, bears, etc., will not be stopped by an invisible fence, so it shouldn't give you any measure of security. And, yes, they will come into open areas if they're hungry enough and your animal looks like an easy target. My aunt lost one of her goldens -- the mother of my parents' dogs -- to an attack in a pasture, enclosed by real electric fences. Her house is in a wooded area in CT.

I understand the principle of the invisible fences, but I question whether they actually serve the purpose intended. Most of the posters have responded that it's either cruel or ineffective (or both) for large breeds.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

[QUOTE]I guess there are people who get a kick out of doing these things to animals like Michael Vick.
    Posted by calmdown[/QUOTE]

You're right - Michael Vick IS an animal.  But he certainly deserves a lot more than a couple of mild electric shocks.  I'd like to give him the whole chair.