1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CopleysCorner. Show CopleysCorner's posts

Is road salt bad for your dogs feet?

With the approaching storm, I did some research about road salt and how it affects your pet...sounds like it can be painful.

Read more on my blog.

Join Copley's Corner on Facebook.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Is road salt bad for your dogs feet?

We use and love Musher's Secret.  It protects them from road salt and the snow and slush itself which can (with repeated exposure) cause cracked pads.    If you do walk your dog without waxing his paws, definitely wash them after your walk, and get between their toes.

If your pup does end up with painfully cracked pads from the winter weather (not just salt), massage in Bag Balm morning and night, and use the Musher's Secret when they go out.  The BB is what our vet told us to do last year when we thought Gracie had frostbite, but really it was her cracked and dry pads.

If you have stone work outside, keep in mind that Musher's Secret and BB will leave permanent marks on granite.  Gracie's puppy print is forever emblazoned on our patio.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Do they stain your floors or carpets, Kar?  Based on this morning's playtime, it looks like puppy is going to be out in the snow more than I thought this winter. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I was able to get the greasy paw prints off the poly'd hardwoods with Murphey's oil soap.  Carpets, however, I'd say it would stain.  However, the mushers secret wears off before long out there.  I wouldn't put it on all the time, just when he's going to be outside a long time for a walk.  That way, the MS will be all worn off (essentially) by the time you get home.  The stains on the patio got there when we actually applied the MS out there.  She didn't stain it when they got back from their walk.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

A danger of road salt for dogs is ingesting it.  It's not unheard of for a dog to lick the salt off his feet after a walk.  Also be careful about tracking the salt indoors as dogs might eat it off the floor.  It's bad if the dog eats the road salt.

I have used the stuff sold at pet stores that is supposed to be safe for dogs.  That stuff is that it's expensive and it doesn't work very well.  My experience with it is that you have to put down 3 times as much of it than salt.

Whatever you use, try to wipe your dog's feet off after a walk.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I use MuttLuks for Max when there's a lot of salt or ice on the roads. Last night there was hardly any, so I just rinsed and wiped his feet when we came back inside.

Max isn't much of a fan of snow, so I'm rarely in a scenario where we're out for more than 15 minutes in it.

ETA: Max also fits nicely in the sink. I think I'd do boots every time if he were any bigger.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

We bought booties for one of the beagles who requires long walks.  He is also really sensitive to the salt.  He hated them.  He would pick up a paw, look at it & then look at us with sorrow.
    We found out about thinner ones, essentially they are balloons for their feet.  He doesn't mind them & doesn't start limping halfway through walks.  I don't know the name, but they sell them at most pet stores.  If we're lucky, they can be re-used for a few walks.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We tried Muttlucks, but they fall off in the first go around of fetch.  When it's super duper cold and snowy, and Gracie and DH will be running for miles, we put these boots from Baxter Boo on her.  They stay on, no problem.  You can't pull them off if you try really hard (and I did try because they were $50 and I didnt' want to have her come home without all four on her feet).

They zip down the front all the way to the sole so they are a great fit.

Baxter Boo Hiking Boots

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

kar, those boots are awesome! the zipper must make them easy to put on.
    Muttluks are also pretty pricey. the single-use ones tibird is talking about would be perfect for my friends who just got a puppy. I'll have to look them up!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukes58. Show lukes58's posts

kar, how does Gracie feel about the boots -- i've never tried boots with emma but i think she would be trying to pull them off and forget about playing fetch all together but i would love to get her a pair if she would keep them on her feet

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

the trick to boots is putting them on and getting the dog outside as quickly as possible. once outside, the dog is far more itnerested in the outside world than what's on their feet.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BreedTrust. Show BreedTrust's posts

Road salt is absolutely not safe for dogs!  It can burn, crack and damage a dog's paw pads.  We recently posted our top picks for paw protection products on our Best of Breed Blog.  You can read them here, bit.ly/hhpUEA.  We agree with others here about Muttluks and Musher's Secret as good options.  My personal favorite for paw protection is PawZ. 

I also wipe my dog's paws when we come in from outside with a little soap and water on a washcloth.  If he's not wearing protection, washing the paws prevents him from accidentally ingesting any salt residue on his paws.  Better to be safe than sorry!

Sections
Shortcuts