July 4th Celebrations...too much noise

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bethanyrosevear. Show bethanyrosevear's posts

July 4th Celebrations...too much noise

I dont know how your neighborhoods are, but mine started the celebration early this year and there were kids with fireworks last night.  Bella spent the night barking back at every crack and pop.  This made getting up at 5:00 am VERY difficult.  As the weekend approaches and the celebrations will get louder, are their any suggestions on how to get her to stop barking?  I certainly can't blame her or get mad at her since it is a noise she isn't used too (I cna never get mad at that cute little face regardless Laughing) But does anybody have any suggestions?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Re: July 4th Celebrations...too much noise

I have one dog that gets so upset he trembles terribly,  almost like seizure activity.  There is medication you can ask your vet about.  How does she do with thunder and lightening?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bethanyrosevear. Show bethanyrosevear's posts

Lightenig doesn't bother her at all, Thunder, when it booms, she just barks back at it.  I don't think she is afraid of it because she doesn't shake or hide, it is almost like she is trying to "stand upto" it and be bigger than the thunder.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Well,  fireworks are gunfire,  so it's a natural response for her to be alarmed and bark.   They say to talk to the dog in a calm voice and not show anxiety yourself.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bethanyrosevear. Show bethanyrosevear's posts

I have tried holding and snuggling and of course remaining calm and not getting annoyed at the stupid kids, but she just wants to get to the front window and bark right back at them.  It is almost like she is trying to defend her house against the noise.  All 9 pounds of her! :}

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukeseri58. Show lukeseri58's posts

she is trying to defend her house against the noise - that is much better than being afraid or anxious -- i would just try to get her attention on to something else - play with her, give her a treat, etc.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bethanyrosevear. Show bethanyrosevear's posts

hmmm, I haven't tried the treat thing, thanks for the suggestion, I will try anything at this point, I have a feeling it will be a rough weekend for her

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

My dog used to bark at every strange sound when he was a puppy. I just squirt him with a spray bottle and say "No."
    It's nice that he wants to protect the house, but it's not necessary. Now, he very rarely barks.
    Like any other unwanted behavior, you just train them not to do it.

Cuddling them or comforting them, if they are not anxious, just encourages the behavior.
    Distraction can work, but what if you're not home to distract them and the dog drives your neighbors crazy barking its head off?

It's better just to train her not to bark at those noises.

There is absolutely no need to sedate a dog because it barks at fireworks., that's excessive and, in my opinion, cruel. Like giving a kid Nyquil because you want them to go to sleep. Drugs cannot replace proper training.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

If they're extremely upset  [some dogs start foaming at the mouth],  I don't think offering a snack is a good idea,  also,  be aware they can turn on you and bite.     Maybe you should re-post your question in the  "Ask a Vet"  forum,  there hasn't been much activity over there,   a professional opinion wouldn't hurt, right?    Or even better,  call your vet and ask what he recommends.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukeseri58. Show lukeseri58's posts

is she barking that excessively (foaming at the mouth) -- i don't think the dog will bite her -- i think that is highly unlikely and unless the dog is really axious and nervous and frightened (i know this dog isn't - she is in protect mode - actually her job to a certain extent) i wouldn't sedate her either - i would use distraction -- i never used the spray bottle either but i've been told it works

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bethanyrosevear. Show bethanyrosevear's posts

I have used a spray bottle in the past for other things, and frankly, she loves it, she just loves water from any source, so that wont work.  But thank you all for the suggestions. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sharon-g19. Show sharon-g19's posts

My older dog completely freaks out with thunder/lightening and fireworks and all are on the menu for this weekend so it should be a nightmare for me! Anyway, I bought Max a Thundershirt (thundershirt.com) for mild events and it seems to work. He doesn't bark, drool or claw at the door and windows if I get it on him in time. He does occasionally pace but I can handle that. I tried the whole treat thing with him but he is so anxious  that he actually throws up - so no more snacks for him. As for the 4th that is no mild event for him and as much as I don't like to do it I have to give him prescription Xanax. That works like a charm as you can imagine.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If she likes the squirt bottle, you can try, ironically enough, more noise.  Gracie responded well to my shaking a can of coins along with "No!" to stop bad behavior.  That's assuming she's NOT anxious about the fireworks, just barking to defend the house.  If she is actually anxious, don't do that, obviously.  Instead, you can try some natural calming supplements if you can find some fast, but I've never had to try any so I can't recommend one.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Many dogs freak out, run away and get lost during fireworks every year,  ask any Animal Control Officer.

They get so upset they break out of fences and take off [you've heard about horses getting spooked, same idea],  keep an eye on your pets and make sure they are properly contained over the holiday.
    www.dogs.about.com/od/dogbehaviorproblems/a/fireworks-phobias-in-dogs.htm

Read the responses,  some helpful information there.

I just ordered  the thundershirt.

Thank you,  sharon-g19 for recommending this product.         www.thundershirt.com

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

there is a big difference between a dog barking at fireworks and a dog with a loud noise phobia.

a dog that simply barks at fireworks should not be sedated. They should be trained not to bark the same way you'd train a dog not to bark at guests or whatever else.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I totally agree, Pink, and I think most people would. :)

My neighbor's dog shakes violently and wheezes with anxiety...AND barks.  That's something worth giving a sedative for imo.  Barking to alert an owner of a potential threat to the house isn't a big deal with respect to the well being of the dog and requires behavioral correction if the barking poses a problem (like in an apartment building, for instance).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bethanyrosevear. Show bethanyrosevear's posts

Well, thank you to all for the great advise.  We survived the weekend...barely. On Saturday I deided that maybe it would help if she could see what was making the noise, so I took her out for a few minutes to see the fireworks (just in our front yard).  Unfortunately, that did not work, and she spent the rest of the night under the island in our kitchen (this is her "safe" place).  So that didn't work at all.  The rest of the weekend, we tried everything that was suggested and that we could think of.  She didn't seem scarred after Saturday, just reverted back to the barking back.  I will be interrested in seeing what the ask a vet says.  None of us got much sleep this weekend!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Too bad you had a sleepless night, beth, even for our advice.  It would be so much easier if we could explain things to them.

fwiw, I think the connection between the display and the noise is too abstract for them to grasp right away.  The noise is too generalized and seems to come from everywhere, having nothing to do with the pretty lights in the sky from a dog's perspective.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Sorry you and Bella had a tough weekend Beth.  I hope the vet gives you some insight.  At least the 4th is only once a year!

We also learned this weekend that Jax doesn't like fireworks (or swimming, but that's another story).  He didn't bark or freak out, though.  Sunday the fireworks were further away, and he just always wanted to be right next to someone.  We let him stay close, but didn't coddle or try to soothe him - just a quick pat like any other time and went about our business.  Last night they were right overhead and he hid under a table.  I also tried taking him out to see what was going on (with a treat), but he just wanted to go back in. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

aw, poor pups. I wonder why the noises bother some dogs so much more than others.

Max doesn't care about the fireworks. The only time they freaked him out was when I brought him to the esplanade one year, but it's so loud down there it hurts my ears!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsygreen. Show pumpsygreen's posts

Last night, I heard the fireworks from9 p.m. to 2 a.m in my neighborhood. I couldn't sleep the rest of the night at all. Stitches didn't seem to mind it though. bg

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

When Gracie was an untrained, very young puppy we thought she might be at least partially deaf; nothing perturbed her - power tools, thunder, hail...nothing.  I think it was mostly just her trusting, easy going nature because the only thing we did to encourage her to ignore loud noises was to ignore them ourselves, but obviously that doesn't impact some dogs' behavior.  I really think it's mostly personality, but who knows.  I'm no dog behaviorist...just a Gracie behaviorist.  :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

In Response to Re: July 4th Celebrations...too much noise:
    [QUOTE]When Gracie was an untrained, very young puppy we thought she might be at least partially deaf; nothing perturbed her - power tools, thunder, hail...nothing.  I think it was mostly just her trusting, easy going nature because the only thing we did to encourage her to ignore loud noises was to ignore them ourselves, but obviously that doesn't impact some dogs' behavior.  I really think it's mostly personality, but who knows.  I'm no dog behaviorist...just a Gracie behaviorist.  :)
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

well, I know for a lot of hunting breeds, like labs, they're bred to not care about loud noises so that rifles and whatnot won't bother them. But even in the same litter you'll have some that don't like it and some that don't care. And some dogs have a traumatic experience that makes them afraid of loud noises.

Maybe it's the same way some people are afraid of spiders and some aren't. I'd love to know why I can't stand to even think about them, but other people keep them as pets!

I've heard of people having success with "working" their dogs through the fear, like by taking them for a jog or on a treadmill when the loud noises are happening, so the dog starts to associate the loud noises with exercise which releases good chemicals in the brain. Plus, the workout distracts them so they're not just focusing on the noise.
    I imagine you'd have to have a sturdy harness on them though, in case they try and make a break for it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukeseri58. Show lukeseri58's posts

emma just wanted to go upstairs and go to bed each time the fireworks started -- she has no reaction to thunder -- but is deathly afraid of trucks - whether they are running or not - even if they are parked on the side of the road she jumps into the back seat and her eyes get huge and she watches them pass by (or us pass by them) and then jumps back into the front  - its very strange

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

Our pup handled his first 4th of July quite well.  He didn't respond much at all to the fireworks on previous days.  Last night, when they first started going off he popped to his feet and started barking, but once I told him it was ok, and then took him outside to SEE it was ok (you can't actually see the fireworks from our place, just hear them), he was fine and went back to his nap no problem.

He's always been fine with thunder, and although he'll occasionally bark at loud trucks it comes across more as a "go away you're annoying" sort of reaction more than anything else.