1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Keep the benedryl on hand!

Gracie got up from her nap this morning blown up like a parade float.  She had huge raised welts all over her head and legs, and her right eye was swollen shut.  She was unrecognizable.    Needless to say, I was in a panic (that I tried to hide for her sake) thinking her throat would start closing off any second.  It didn't...phew.    She got a shot which she's sleeping off now.

My vet told me she can take pure Benedryl (not a combo cold drug), 1 mg per pound.  The adult caplets are 25 mg so she can take 3 tonight if there's still any swelling.

Anyway, the vet said that these reactions are VERY common right now so I thought I'd share.

Anyone ever deal with this before?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Keep the benedryl on hand!

Oh, how awful, Nov!  I know, it's so scary when things go wrong with their health...such a helpless feeling.

The vet just called and had me wake her up to see if the benedryl is helping.  She looks a little better.  We'll give her a steroid shot tomorrow if she's still in bad shape after a few more rounds of benedryl (she can have 3 pills every 8 hours).  Sigh.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

In Response to Re: Keep the benedryl on hand!:
    [QUOTE]Thanks, Nov.  I'm eager for her to get up from her nap so I can see if she's any better.  Her bedding is in the wash...I'm wondering if it's the new bed I put in her crate even though we had one just like it that we just replaced that I had put in there without washing first and she was fine. Easy, yes, I'm sure Nowelle is allergy free after all this time with no incidents. :) How old is your dog, Nov?
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]
    HMMMMM...Could it be the laundry detergents Gracie is allergic to?
    Especially since her symptoms seemed to make a comeback of sorts once she came home and slept?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

I think I would have been unable to hide my panic!  I probably don't have to worry about it; Nowelle will be 14 in November.  If she hasn't had such a problem yet, she probablt never will.  But it's still good to know about the Benadryl, even if I would have to cut it in half.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

[QUOTE] How old is your dog, Nov?

He's just coming up on five months.  The worry these pups put us through!!  He woke up Monday with a huge red bulge in his eye.  Straight to the vet we went as I was sure his eye would pop out, or he's go blind.  Diagnosis  = cherry eye, which was "popped" back in, but has recurred this AM.  Poor little guy.  Doesn't seem to bother him, but it looks so irritaing my heart breaks for him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hey, Pinkie (et al), she woke up this morning 90% as bad as she was yesterday after almost totally recovering and having a second dose of Benedryl for good measure before she went to bed.

I gave her 3 more pills this morning, of course, and she went right back to bed on her own after going out briefly to take care of business.

I have her bedding in the wash.

The vet said it could be anything.  Helpful, huh?  A sting, bite, pollen......

So, I'll be calling her today, but there is no panic; her breathing doesn't seem affected at all, and the vet said the chances of that are very low while the chances of a dog getting hives is fairly high.

Thanks for checking in, my friend.

~kar

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Nov.  I'm eager for her to get up from her nap so I can see if she's any better.  Her bedding is in the wash...I'm wondering if it's the new bed I put in her crate even though we had one just like it that we just replaced that I had put in there without washing first and she was fine.

Easy, yes, I'm sure Nowelle is allergy free after all this time with no incidents. :)

How old is your dog, Nov?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I haven't made a change, but I am putting her bedding through a second wash with no detergent so there is no residue whatsoever.  Thanks for thinking of her and trying to help me figure this out.  I'm still very distressed (if not panicked about her dying) today.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Easy, oh my, yes, hiding it was extremely difficult.  I had to stop from imagining calling DH to say the dog died or all bets would have been off.  She understands crying and it upsets her so...

I have a message waiting for the vet to find out what to do, now.  At least I know, now, that having their breathing affected is very rare even with terrible hives.  Yesterday I thought we had minutes to get to the vet before her throat closed up.

If she's still puffed up, I'll take a picture this morning.  Hopefully, though, the Benedryl I gave her this morning is helping and she'll not look so ghastly when she gets up.  DH couldn't believe she was actually WORSE yesterday when he saw her this morning.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

[QUOTE]Oh, how awful, Nov!  I know, it's so scary when things go wrong with their health...such a helpless feeling. The vet just called and had me wake her up to see if the benedryl is helping.  She looks a little better.  We'll give her a steroid shot tomorrow if she's still in bad shape after a few more rounds of benedryl (she can have 3 pills every 8 hours).  Sigh .

I thought getting ear cleaner in was bad! Eye drops are 10 times worse!  Sometimes I can get him if he's engaged in tug of war, but usually I have to just chase him around until I can get the right angle and just squirt it in.  Little bugger is fast when he knows medicine is coming.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Oh my goodness! Poor Gracie! :(
    No, I've never seen that before. Did the vet say what it is she could be allergic to?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Bless you heart Kar!  I would have freaked out on the spot.  Note to self - pick up benadryl (just in case)!  Wishing Gracie a full and speedy recovery!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I almost didn't notice her puffy eyes because I was admiring her glossy coat! I can sympathize with her, when my allergies act up my eye get all puffy and red like that. I hope it'll calm down soon!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Dogs really smile?  I think that's her natural look, every day look.  I hope that means she's smiling all the time!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Last Sunday a new  down-the-road-apiece  neighbor, who has walked her baby carriage down our street, commented when she passed my neighbor that actually, she had seen our carriage brigade (her words) pass when she was pregnant last summer, and was hoping to meet mothers.  She lives just over the next town line.
         So yesterday when she was at my sister's for coffee (we have all called to invite her)  she did an Eeuw, gross, when she saw my sister give two chunks of boiled beef soup bone to her 2 dogs.

Sis laughed on the phone, saying - I was good, and did not tell her all the Gross things dogs find to chew on.  A thoroughly boiled bone is the cleanest thing!

And got to laughing about the time my young cousin, about 4, came in to our house, and Mom said, P, spit out your gum before coming to the table.  So he spit in a napkin she gave him, and my Mom look horrified as she held up the mouse tail and said,  What happened to the rest of the mouse?
        And my Dad said, be serious, that is a muskrat tail,  a 4 year old could not scarf down a whole muskrat between his house and ours!

Kar -  How is Gracie? Is it turning out it was a 1 time, stuck nose or paws in a hornets nest type thing?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

[QUOTE]LOL easy! Poor sweet dogs, you never know what they're going to try to eat.
    Posted by pinkkittie27[/QUOTE]

The delicacy of the day yesterday was a hapless ant who got licked right off the chair throw! Not even chocolate covered!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

One time when Nowelle was very ill from something she ate, the vet diagnosed the cause of her illness as "dietary indiscretion".  Talk about euphamism!  I seem to recall saying in response, "You mean the stupid b!tch poisoned herself."

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

yes, thankfully he's never swelled up. I don't know if I could handle that!

I hope she's back to her old self soon. You should maybe look into getting an epi-pen for her- just in case.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, the burning!  That makes sense.  I can be a little dense sometimes. ;)

Thanks - happily, she's still hive free, and as far as I can tell she's been in all teh same places she was last week.  I settling on "bitten by something" as the cause.  Maybe she's developed an immunity to whatever it was, now? 

She's outside, happy as a clam, basquing by the bird bath (which has become more of a dog water dish).  Phew.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from katel. Show katel's posts

My dog Coco (the one who ate the spider) also ate a squirrel in our backyard. I think it got electrocuted crossing the power line in our backyard and fell into our grass. She thought it was the best chew toy ever! She was thoroughly pis*ed when I got her to drop it and took it away from her...and I was thoroughly scarred for life. Dogs are so gross! It's a good thing they're awesome otherwise, or else no one would have them!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, Peonie (et al),

Ouch, a scorpion bite!  That must have been TERRIBLE.

She is MUCH better, thank you!!!  I didn't notice hives at all today.  However, I gave her a full dose of Benedryl this morning and 2/3 of one this afternoon (2 pills).  Tonight, I'll give her another 2/3 dose.  If she's hive free in the morning, I'll assume we're past it and maybe just give her one pill for good measure.  Can't hurt; she's staying hydrated and seems energetic enough to me.

The neighbor's dog is also so much better that they cancelled their vet appointment they had for today.

Thank God for both dogs! 

Thanks for checking in.  :)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Wow, katel, I'd never heard of a dog blowing up like this before it happened to Gracie!  $85/bag, YIKES!  I thought the $45 we spend on Blue Buffalo's Wilderness Chicken was bad.  I'll stop complaining about that, I guess. :)

We think she probably did get stung/bitten because all the same plants are out there now, and she hasn't changed her behavior any so I'd think she'd still be having trouble if it were a plant.  And, like yours, she goes after anything that moves - bees, hornets, spiders, moths, anything!  The problem is, though, I don't think she associated getting hives with going after whatever it was...we'll see.

Thanks for adding! 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, friends, :)

An epi pen is a great idea, Pinkkie, thanks.  Ya never know what's gonna be next.

We have a parakeet, tibird, but she doesn't come in close contact with it since she's a bird dog, lol.  I washed everything in hot water for an extra long cycle and then washed it again with no detergent for a short one.  Nothing else is new, but the dog down the street is swelled up, too, so that almost rules out it being something in our house that's the culprit.  I think maybe it was on her fur last night so that's what made her swell up, again.

I gave her a bath (in soap she's used before), and she's resting on a clean towel in her crate.  Her swelling has gone down, again, but I wonder when the next blow up will happen.  I'm thankful for the rain.  Maybe whatever came out will be done with its pollen cycle by the time the rain stops?

Gosh, it's cold and raw in here.  I should blow dry her when she gets up.

Thanks, again, for going through this ordeal with us!

~kar

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Kar, it might be the season change. Max's skin has gotten really dry and flaky the past week. I gave him a peppermint bath last night to make him more comfortable.
    There must be some kind of pollen or something in the air that's irritating.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

[QUOTE]Oh, my, katel!  You've got a lucky dog, there!  Gracie only grabbed everything in sight when she was a puppy, thankfully, and never actually swallowed much of anything, just chewed. Her eyes are all puffy today so she's back on Benedryl.  Thankfully, it's just her eyes...mostly her left one as you can see.

The hardest thing to figure, be it kids or pets, is when more than one thing is going on.

If it was bites before, it still could be something else she in nosing into, or getting on her paw and rubbing in her eye, now.

Poor Gracie.  Either way, reacting to one thing makes her supersensitive to another.

The old Dr. saying is, antihistamines don't cure anything, they just put you to sleep until whatever bothers you is out of season!    Gracie's Benedryl sleep.  Happy Spring!

And you are such a good and conscientious owner, this must be making you nuts.

Sections
Shortcuts