1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shortylicious. Show Shortylicious's posts

Re: Keep the benedryl on hand!

I've heard good things about Tufts in general. They were one of the places we considered when looking at treatment options for my old gal- but we ended up going to a place that specializes in oncology. I've been soooo fortunate to have great care for her and a flexible schedule to be able to get her back and forth to her appointments. We're getting close to the end of our journey with her, but it's been a good, long one.

OT- I saw on another post you got married at Wayside Inn. I love that place! I live close by and have seen some weddings there. It must have been beautiful!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from katel. Show katel's posts

Hey Kar!
    This same thing happened to one of our girls over the summer. We're thinking she ate a spider, because she'll go after anything that moves (which was quite awful when we lived in Louisiana and were dealing with huge cockroaches!). One of my old dogs (he has since passed on) ate a frog once, had the same reaction and almost died (apparently frogs are poisonious to dogs, who knew?)...My other dog, a dalmation, has awful food allergies and is on a steady dose of 2 benadryl with each meal. She also eats a potato venison food (at $85/bag!!) which has helped her allergies tremendously. I'm sure Gracie ate a bee or a spider or something of that nature...let's hope she learned her lesson! Now, at least, you know how to dose her with Benadryl so you can do it again, if needed!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

"One of my old dogs (he has since passed on) ate a frog once"

Good grief!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Someone once told me that and I could be wrong, but I noticed Amber jutts out her bottom teeth when getting a treat, going for a walk or anything she really likes.  Of course Gracie smiles all the time, I would too if I was her!!  Beautiful home, great owners and lots of love and attention, whats not to smile about?  LOL

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Nov - Gracie is just like a streak of black lightening when she sees medicine, too.  Don't you wish you could make them understand?!

Pinkie, I'm betting you're right.  We found out there's a dog down the street that is having the exact same problem so it's almost assured, I guess.  I'm giving her a lavendar/mint bath and keeping her inside as much as possible today...that is if I can get her to leave her crate...she saw the ear medicine and bolted.  Yes, we found out at the vet's that she still has a low grade infection in BOTH ears.  ARGH, you'd think I never took care of her ears.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Darn that mold. Poor Max!  Leaves used to get me so sick as a kid 'cause of the mold, too.  No jumping in those big piles for me.  I'm surprised (but thankful, of course) Max has never had a reaction like Gracie's.  I thought of him when I started the thread knowing he does have allergies.

Safe little bubbles, I know, wouldn't that be nice? 

She's snoring away.  I wish she'd get up so I can do her ears and give her that bath...neither of which she likes so I'm betting she's going to stay in there a long time.  Whatever, at least she's inside.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Too bad we can't keep them all nice and safe in bubbles - like a giant pollen-free, moisture-free hampster ball.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Claddaugh. Show Claddaugh's posts

Poor puppy! I hope she feels better soon.
    She does look very cute with her little teeth showing.  :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yuck!  That reminds me, she found a flattened petrified RAT DH had run over, too.  Like you say, best chew toy ever.  It was soooo gross, but I let her have it...just not in the HOUSE!

WAggie, thanks for the reassurance about the poisonous frog/toad thing.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Funny - I was so focused on her eyes I didn't notice her smile or her coat!  I think you might be able to see the blister/bump on her muzzle right above her nose from where she was probably stung last time. 

She's better, now, but she's sound asleep at my feet in a Benedryl coma.

ETA:  The bump is on her left, but it's hard to see in this picture, actually.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

yay. all's well that ends well.

and FWIW- My coworker has poison ivy all over her arm just from raking this past weekend.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

LOL easy!
    Poor sweet dogs, you never know what they're going to try to eat.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That's so hard, Shorty - sorry to hear that.

We live in the boonies; I'm happy to have a vet nearby.  Tufts is about 30 minutes away, though, and I think they are a pet ER.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

LOL!!  I guess she does lead a pretty charmed life. :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Digestive upset,  will take a longer while to show up if eaten in small quantities.
        Also, she could just be not eating much and the Benedryl aggravating her stomach.   It opens up blood vessels a bit, and it seems she had a sensitive stomach before.

So many things in nature are fierce.   Small enough quantities not to poison still wreak havoc.    Poor baby.  She has been having a year of it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, my, katel!  You've got a lucky dog, there!  Gracie only grabbed everything in sight when she was a puppy, thankfully, and never actually swallowed much of anything, just chewed.

Her eyes are all puffy today so she's back on Benedryl.  Thankfully, it's just her eyes...mostly her left one as you can see.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

"Gross" to a bone?  We have those bones lying all over the house (dry and cleaned out, of course).  She loves them still even with all the marrow long gone.

Thanks for checking on her, Waggie.  Gracie (and the neighbor's dog) are both still fine, thank God!  I guess it was a bite/sting of some sort as the plants are all the same.  The only thing it could have been for a plant, I think, is the fern heads.  The variety we have are slightly toxic to humans (causing stomach upset), and I know she was chewing on them.  But, the neighbor's dog has had access to those every year and has never gotten sick before. ???  Oh, well, whatever it was, it seems it was a one time thing...hopefully, once in a lifetime thing!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Poor Gracie. First her paws, now this. And it is so hard to see them suffer because they can't voice their discomfort :(

You are the most caring dog owner I have ever "met", Kar. She is so lucky to have you, and your DH.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Oh how cute Pink!  The picture of my avatar of Amber actually has her smiling with her bottom teeth out.  You can't see it, but that is why it is my favorite picture.  We were tossing around a ball in the yard, one of her many favorite things to do.  Max is one contented dog for sure.  All the pets on this board are very lucky!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thank you for all the compliments on our "parenting."  I appreciate it very much especially as a first time pet owner with all the insecurities that go along with that. 

Yes, it's very unsettling.  DH is also upset by it (he often refers to Gracie as "our baby"), and this morning he got her up and out of her crate extra early to check on her.

She's up and out having napped since 1:00, and she looks pretty good.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    Just checked in on the pet thread. So sorry to hear Gracie is on Benadryl again. Like Wag says, she has been stung before, she may be over sensitive to something. I have a friend carrying an Epi-pen with her at all times, maybe you should talk to your Vet about this.
    It is so sad, one cannot communicate with our pets. But despite her swollen eye, she looks just beautiful. Such a shiny coat - and yes, she indeed have a wonderful smile.
    - Pingo

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

In Response to Re: Keep the benedryl on hand!:
    [QUOTE]absolutely! if I could get Max to sit still for the camera without bribing him with food, I'd do it. He's just too curious.
    Posted by pinkkittie27[/QUOTE]

We have the same issue - seems like half of my pictures are tug of war pics so he will look up at the camera and that other half are of puppy in full snooze!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

pinkkittie,That photo of your cat just made my eyes well up. I recently lost my cat Tigger,and the expression on your cats face reminded me so much of him. Next year,after I research and learn more about training and caring for a dog,I'm thinking about adopting one. Right now though,I think I'm ready to adopt a cat. We really loved Tig,and think about him lots! I"ll probably go to the M.S.P.C.A. for one. We got Tigger from a friend of a friend,so I have no experience with them-any advice?b.g.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, sooooo cute, Pinkie - that's the best picture of your cutie pie!  I wonder how Gracie would play with Max.  Her 76 pounds to his 8?  I bet she'd be gentle, but I know from experience that when she steps on you it's bad...20 lbs per paw!

Nov, funny you should mention that; DH is convinced she'd be a star if we sent her photo to an ad agency.  I wonder if we really should?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

In Response to Re: Keep the benedryl on hand!:
    [QUOTE]Oh, sooooo cute, Pinkie - that's the best picture of your cutie pie!  I wonder how Gracie would play with Max.  Her 76 pounds to his 8?  I bet she'd be gentle, but I know from experience that when she steps on you it's bad...20 lbs per paw! Nov, funny you should mention that; DH is convinced she'd be a star if we sent her photo to an ad agency.  I wonder if we really should?
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

DH sublet one summer and a big yellow lab lived there. He and Max were best buddies. I was amazed at how gentle the lab was with Max. He let him pull at his legs and ears while they were playing. Very patient.
    I don't know if Max would be as brave as he was then, he was only about a year old, but he warms up to the nicer big dogs.

you should definately send a photo to a dog casting agency! especially since she's pretty well trained.