1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Re: Kitty dentistry

Pink,

I had battle scars for real at first.  They DO NOT like it at all.  But they "tolerate" me for a little bit so I can at least smear it on their teeth.  I honestly don't know if it helps since they do have tarter but no infections.  I do believe tarter is normal.  My next door neighbor where I use to live has a 16 year old Siamese cat that has never been to the vet a day in her life.  Go figure... 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Good luck, Alf - I hope you find out what's wrong and your kitty feels better soon.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Any attempts I've veer made to look inside my cat's- or any cat's- mouth have always ended badly: Bitten fingers and scratch marks.

Sometimes I seriously wonder if all this modern vet medicine really benefits cats or just prolongs their lives in an unnatural way that they don't enjoy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Alf- I'm so sorry your kitty is not feeling well. I hope you can get a second opinion, toytrumpet gave excellent advice.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

The vet told them, they had been "bad parents" not to take care of kitty's teeth.

You probably didn't mean to say the vet told them.  Unfortunately it is me at my house, so it is a miracle I get as far as I do.  They don't like it, but they tolerate it better.  But if my vet told me they had gum issues or infections, I would def have them put under for that.  So far, so good thank God...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I totaly agree with you Pink.  Everytime I bring Amber to the vet they want to run a bunch of senior citizen tests on her to see if she has any underlying issues or issues that may come up in the future.  Why in the world would I want to do that?  I know she is old, she is going to go blind, already has the haze over her eyes and is going deaf.  Oh and the cost for those test?  $500....  I make sure she gets her yearly physical and I am just grateful every day I have her and my cats.  It's funny Pink, I even told my own doctor I was sick of him sending me for tests as I am over a "certain age" because they always find something wrong.  Tough getting old for animals and humans alike, but it is what it is.   There is no right or wrong to me in caring for our pets.  Each is different with different needs, no two are alike. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Alf, I agree that TT gave excellent advice.  Please keep us updated on how she's feeling... 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

my kitty loves the Greenies, hope your does too!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

What about the weight loss, Alf?  I do think it is unusual for a cat to lose unless there is some underlying medical problem.

I wasn't recommending the brands/types of food I feed my cat, just suggesting that in my experience their digestive systems don't do well with a lot of switching around, hence find one he tolerates and stick to it without worrying that he might need a variety of tastes.  From what I've read, they don't.

I know what you mean about cats liking the open windows.  Cheerio was sitting in my open bedroom window when I work up about 5:00 a.m.  She likes to watch whatever it is she sees moving around out there that early, imagining stalking it, I suppose.  And, when the windows open for the first time in the Spring, she does just as you say yours does, jumps up there and "catches sniffs".  So cute.  Maye you could open just one window for him to jump up in to while you get ready for work in the morning and close it before you leave?  Usually the air's the coolest then, and it might satisfy his longing for outdoor air.

Glad that you got so many responses to your post.  I know you'll be keeping a close eye on him, and wish you both the best.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

so glad to hear he's doing better, Alf. Hope the next visit to the vet is a long ways off!
    TT and Amber are right, those vets always want you to do the extra tests. But they just are overkill.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I just realized I wrote my daughters room.  She has her own place, but I still consider it her room.  We never do stop being mom's : )  sorry to get off topic!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Alf you are 100%  right about the vets suggesting needless tests.  As I said, i get that every time because Amber is "old"  Yeah and so what, she's happy and healthy.  Until something goes wrong, i will not pay extra either.  TT, when I close my windows in my living room to put the AC on, my orange cat Tigger jumps on the back of the loveseat and couch and follows me when I am closing the windows, yelling at me the entire time!  It cracks me up!!  I just love my cats personalities, so different the 2 of them, yet they have the same mother.  My grey cat Boo is so laid back and Tigger is much more active. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

When I took Amber a month ago for her physical, I was told that too.  I was really afraid she had cataracts and the vet told me the exact same thing you did.  Normal part of aging but look for white.  I'm sad though she is going deaf, tough to see her get confused and startled and I notice she barks now when she never use to.  I think because she can't hear us too good.  You should have been a vet Pink : )

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

In Response to Re: Kitty dentistry:
    When I took Amber a month ago for her physical, I was told that too.  I was really afraid she had cataracts and the vet told me the exact same thing you did.  Normal part of aging but look for white.  I'm sad though she is going deaf, tough to see her get confused and startled and I notice she barks now when she never use to.  I think because she can't hear us too good.  You should have been a vet Pink : )
    Posted by ambergirl

I used to want to be a vet, then I found out I'd have to dissect dead animals and also have the unhappy duty of putting down animals and seeing cases of neglect and abuse. I don't have the stomach for it.
    I'd much rather just hang out on these boards and give out a little advice now and then. :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

TT, the vet didn't even NOTICE the weight loss; I did. 

Personally, I don't see much difference in him from last year to this.  It's possible their scales were off. In any event, I got him some new food, that he has taken to like a  fish to water.  Loves it!  As for him liking novelty, what I meant was that it would make it easy for me to institute a switch.  Not that I changed his food out regularly to keep him from getting bored. Just that I don't have the problems that some people have w/ finicky eaters; Charlie will eat just about anything.

I'm going to see if switching his food to 'regular' as opposed to 'low cal' makes a difference. No idea how I"m going to weigh him. I'll probably end up having to weigh myself and then weigh myself holding him on the scale, with the difference being his weight.   I got him some greenies too, which are supposed to be helpful in reducing tartar.  At least that's what the bag says. 

He's back to his old self.  Eating like a pig, playing and much more engaged.  Of course, the weather broke down here and it's beautiful, so we can leave a window open for him.  he came flying across the room and shot into the window when I called him to let him know it was open. It was pretty funny.

Thanks for everyone's advice! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In Response to Re: Kitty dentistry:
    I just realized I wrote my daughters room.  She has her own place, but I still consider it her room.  We never do stop being mom's : )  sorry to get off topic!
    Posted by ambergirl

You're right about once a mom, always a mom.  This room where I have the computer is now a "guest bedroom".  I've repainted and redecorated it, but I still refer to it as G.T.'s room, tho he hasn't slept in here in 20 years!  So, I'm afraid there's not much hope - your daughter's room will always be "my daughter's room"!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Not to get completely off the original subject, but you're right, Amber, the cats all have such different personalities, don't they?  They do talk to us in their own way -- when I'm getting ready to go out mornings (pocketbook on kitchen table, putting on make up), Cheerio appears from seemingly nowhere and paces back and forth in front of her dish, then weaves between my feet, mewing - to her, it's not clear if I'm going to be gone just a couple of hours or for the day, and she wants to make sure I leave her some food to get through the day!  They do crack you up with their antics.  She does the same when I get back, regardless of the length of time I've been gone, like she's saying, "Well, that was quite an outing you had, how about some more food?"

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Great news!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

LOL!!!  Absolutely TT with the personalities!  I feed them when I come home from work and I can barely walk to my kitchen with them 2 under my feet!  Then when they are stuffed, they go nap on my bed.  I find they have def routines.  When I come home, they are both in my daughters room.  After they eat, they sleep on my bed and when I get up in the morning, they are in the living room.  So funny....  love the pictures of Cheerio by the way : )

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Thanks, everyone.

TT, it's not the horrendous Boston humidity. I'm actually in DC.  We've had that humidity since April!  lol He's in an AC'd house, which also is part of the problem.  He prefers the windows open so he can catch sniffs and listen to sounds.  If I leave the window open (1) my DH goes ballistic, (2) the drywall will either melt or rot, and if I go to work that way (3) the house will be 90+ when I get home from just one window being open, even w/ the AC running.  lol.  The weather is the one main negative for moving here.

I'm trying to get him into an harness so I can bring him out on the enclosed patio during the weekends.  Not working so well. He can Houdini out of the tightest harness.  I carry him out there now and let him catch some sniffs. It seems to perk him up. 

He is eating again and acting like himself. I'm going to hold off on the second vet since the car trip seems to have prompted this.  I'll be swapping his food around this weekend.  It usually takes 2-3 days to institute a food change w/ him. I can't feed him wet food - I did 1/2 and 1/2 when he was a kitten and it caused crystals and urinary blockage and I was told to switch to only dry food; it solved that problem.  He likes novelty [go figure!] so changing his food shouldn't be a difficult thing.  He's also a big fan of treats, so if I can find a tartar one, or something that he really has to chew, hopefully that will do the trick.

All I did was bring him to the vet for his annual check up and rabies shot!  My yelp search online after the fact indicates that this places likes to recommend unnecessary tests/procedures and then bill the life out of you. No thanks!  I'll just keep getting his routine maintenance done. If he needs something, he'll get it, but no more tests w/o a darn good reason. 

Sections
Shortcuts