Meat grinder to make home-made dog food

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Meat grinder to make home-made dog food

I have been leaning towards a home-made, semi raw diet for my dogs.  I have been using less kibble and notice that my dogs look better.

So, I am thinking of taking it to the next level.  Grinding raw chicken gizzards, necks, maybe chicken wings.

The Tasin-TS 108 electric meat grinder was recommended to me.

Has anyone tried this?  Is it worth the bother?  I'm getting a little tired of paying over $50 for a bag of kibble that may not be that great, nutrition wise.

Thoughts?

Ps: Additional information:  http://vitalanimal.com/kibble-dogs-only/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Re: Meat grinder to make home-made dog food

Update: I received my new toy!  Not complicated at all, this machine is going to pay for itself as I will no longer be buying kibble.

Cut up some apples and put them through the machine, fun, fun, fun. I mixed that up with some chicken and a little cooked white rice. They loved it!  

I also add a quality supplement/vitamin, plus fish oil prior to serving.

I will experiment with veggies too, I'm on a roll :)

Ps: cleaning up was not so much fun, but I will come up with a routine, maybe making a 1 week supply at a time, freezing portions etc.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

I don't regret buying my meat grinder, but I am not using it as much as I thought I would.

However, it is excellent for grinding up chicken gizzards. 

Tried putting chicken wings through the grinder, but I don't like searching for sharp bone chips (even on the fine setting).

I find buying boneless chicken breasts and cutting them up before cooking easier :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

In response to GoneToTheDogs39's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't regret buying my meat grinder, but I am not using it as much as I thought I would.

However, it is excellent for grinding up chicken gizzards. 

Tried putting chicken wings through the grinder, but I don't like searching for sharp bone chips (even on the fine setting).

I find buying boneless chicken breasts and cutting them up before cooking easier :)

[/QUOTE]

Why not just give your dog the raw chicken wings and or raw chicken necks and backs without grinding them?  Raw chicken bones are fine for a dogs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

I've read that, but I'm not comfortable with it, for my dogs, anyway.   Plus those raw diets are best if you are buying fresh killed organic meat.  Not the supermarket stuff, so I feel better if I cook it a little (no bones) in a smidge of vegetable oil.

I'm finding some good buys at the local market, they mark the meat down the day before  "sell by this date". 

I do treat them to frozen raw beef marrow bones, sometimes daily.

I don't eat red meat or chicken myself :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2ABjDkPeuY&feature=share&list=PLKFNOOGHbzw6XxoRbGV0Q4K6IO1mfhw0y&index=2

Published on feb 6,2014

Dr Margo Roman describes the benefits of a raw diet