1. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Mold in the litter box?

I have never posted over here, but I thought it was worth a try.  Lately, when I have cleaned my cat's litter box, there is mold growing on his stool.  Could that mean there is something in his stool that shouldn't be there?  Something going on in his stomach?
    He's 7 and I've never seen anything like this for him or any of my cats growing up.  Admittedly, I should probably clean the litter box more often, but do maybe every 5-7 days.  It could be related to the weather, but then I would have seen it before at this time of year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Re: Mold in the litter box?

Thanks all for your replies.  At the time, we had recently (2-3 months) started keeping kitty's food in a tupperware container that would often get left unsealed.  I dumped what was in there and we have been good about closing it.  Haven't seen the mold in a while, so perhaps there was moisture in his food.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

"If your cat's food is not stored in an airtight container it could contain extra moisture which could cause mold to grow on the food. She would then be ingesting mold, and thus defecating it later on. Not all molds are highly dangerous, however, but it can impact your cats gastrointestinal health adversely over time. If there is a chance that her food could be moldy, please change her food and discard the old food."

Interesting.   Thanks for the update.  Glad to know the information provided in the article was helpful.   Doglady

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In Response to Mold in the litter box?:
    [QUOTE]I have never posted over here, but I thought it was worth a try.  Lately, when I have cleaned my cat's litter box, there is mold growing on his stool.  Could that mean there is something in his stool that shouldn't be there?  Something going on in his stomach? He's 7 and I've never seen anything like this for him or any of my cats growing up.  Admittedly, I should probably clean the litter box more often, but do maybe every 5-7 days.  It could be related to the weather, but then I would have seen it before at this time of year.
    Posted by framerican51008[/QUOTE]
    I hope you at least scoop the litter box on a daily basis!