1. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

moral dilemma - to get cats or not

1. Cats SHOULD be exclusively indoors. They live longer, healthier lives that way.� Some argue that this is cruel to cats, who should not be locked up indoors.� Anyway, I'm not fighting this one - we live in Boston so the cats would be indoor, at least for now.� I knew she was going to say this and I am one who lets her cats outside.� But that's my cats.� Born under a barn, they started life feral.� Most cats born indoors can and should be kept indoors.� If you live in the city, either keep your cats indoors or don't have cats. 2. Cats do not give a #### if you leave them alone. They might if they're used to you always being there and then suddenly you're not, but if you always leave them for work and for a weekend night, they will be fine.� I would like to believe this, it would help me rationalize, but don't you think they want some human companionship?� I don't want cats who don't like/care about people.� What's the point then???� Again, it's all about the routine.� They learn the routine quickly and come to expect it. They do sleep most of the time.3. Unless you're going away for a week or more, cats don't need a sitter. We leave them for long weekends 3 or 4 times a year and they're fine.� What if they get a hairball and choke?� Seriously?� Am I being really lame/over-worried?� You are being overly worried.� If you are afraid to leave them, don't get them.� You certainly can't be with them all the time so what's the difference between one hour and three days? 4. Big girls don't let their mothers guilt them.� :) Cats can bring out the crazies in all of us.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Hello Bell,I'd highly recommend going onto the MSPCA website and doing some reading about adopting a cat.� I agree with anyone who might have said that your discomfort is partly from lack of experience and maybe not understanding all that much about what's involved in taking care of a kitty.� Otherwise, only you can decide if you are in your comfort zone adopting pets at this time in your life.
    Most people (myself included) will adopt two kitties so they will keep eachother company, and also b/c they are an absolute joy, adorable and hilarious together.� You never know what they will do next!� Don't misinterpret a cat being independent from needing attention, fun, affection and all that love that all animals need, in their own way, and just like any creature, they each have unique personalities.� Some cats will follow you around like a "dog" (one of mine is a real snuggler) and some will only come around when they feel like it.� You get the idea.� Did you have pets growing up?� Will this be your first pet in your adult life?� I could not live without a kitty, it's just not a home without an animal IMHO (dogs are cool too, if you are a dog person).� I have a bit of a problem with your mum saying that pets will "prematurely tie you down" ... what's that supposed to mean?� Sorry, but that's just her projecting her values onto you.� Being responsible for a loving pet is not being tied down, it's a wonderful way of making your life fuller and richer.�Many organizations enforce cats being indoors on the adoption papers that you sign.� Look at the MSPCA website at the keeping cats indoors section and print it out for your mother or email it to her!� Leavnig a cat outside is a recipe for danger (how many people have you known whose cat got killed by a car for starters?).� Any vet will tell you that cats should be indoors unless you can train your cat to stay near the house when you are outside (doing gardening, for example).�� Open windows (safe ones) in nice weather with a kitty window seat will make your cat feel like s/he is outdoors.� There are many things you can do when the weather is nice so they can experience the outdoors from inside.� I'm not sure you sound ready to have a pet or have the true passion right now.� You should be bursting at the seams, and you're not.�� Give it more thought and good luck.����

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bell500. Show bell500's posts

hi all - thanks for all of the advice and comments.� my main guilt is that i grew up with outdoor cats and i grew up with a mother who is OBSESSED - like, projects human attributes to her cats (she feels guilty if she leaves them for a few days, worries constantly) - and�i�have�the tendency to do the same.� i am over the keeping-them-indoors thing, but was looking for some input on whether i really had enough to give to the cats, in terms of time - working, and traveling on some weekends. �i think�a lot of people think cats are the easy pet to have instead of dogs, b/c they are so independent, etc. - but i think they also do need a lot of TLC and time with people, ESPECIALLY when they are indoor cats and don't have a ton of squirrels/birds to chase, etc. - so i was unsure if i could devote enough time to them to give them a good life.� (God - so my mother!� ;)� )� i grew up with indoor/outdoor cats and they were always very friendly - had a good mix of outdoor life while still enjoying (i think!) human company, so i do think i know cats and maybe just have had different experiences than those on the boards who are telling me that cats don't give a you-know-what if you're around or not - i mean i just can't believe that.� !!!anyway i think i can handle kitties and it's time.� a home is not a home w/o kitties, to me!� ;)� we are going to adopt two siblings so they have each other.� thanks again for the feedback.(cos - i am so a cat person - but if you're a dog person and just want cats b/c they are easier - don't do it - get a dog!� go for it!� you can make it work!� :)� )

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Re: moral dilemma - to get cats or not

LMAO Cosmogirl!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunshinemrs. Show sunshinemrs's posts

My two cats with a combined weight of 20 lbs have caused more damage to furniture and created more dust bunnies than my 80 lb dog :-)

(one of my cats thoroughly enjoys a good game of hide-and-seek/tug-of-war with the sheets when making the bed).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from julper. Show julper's posts

Hi Cos! I don't think you should get a cat if you really want a dog! Your cat will constantly disappoint you. I have this problem with DH. He's a dog person and I'm a cat person. I already had a cat when we met and we still have her. He is constantly frustrated because he expects her to act like a dog. She doesn't, and never will! (For example, you can't expect a cat to know that they are not supposed to eat a chicken carcass that you left in the sink overnight, and punishing them after the fact will accomplish nothing!)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

i have a cat (a very spoiled one at that).�� cats are a responsibility.� they need to be fed on a regular basis and require water and regular vet visits (shots too).� litter boxes need changing on a regular basis...the stench is incredibly bad�if it isn't changed regularly...�they also require love and attention as well, from you and your husband.� granted, they aren't as much "work" as a dog, but they do�require just as much�time and commitment as�dogs do.� where you said you & hubby travel on the weekends, you will need someone to come in and care for your�cat.�� i honestly�wouldn't recommend you�& hubby don't get a cat at this time.� ����

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

hey, bell -- interesting post, as we've been thinking about it, too.Why do you guys want to get cats?� Our answer to this so far is "because..." so I'm not sure we're ready either.(I think our answer is "because we'd like to get a dog but cats are a lot less trouble"!)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

responding to an 8-month old post? who's the real loser?

(hint: u r)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

something to remember about cats - the white ones only love you when you wear black and the black ones only love you when you wear white.And they all love your newly made bed or freshly folded laundry or antique velvet chair.So if you can't take a little (or allot of) cat hair in your clothes, bed, chairs and stairwells, don't get a cat. My cat sheds constantly - even now, in the coldest part of winter.�

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620. Show ml2620's posts

I'd have to say this isn't the right time for cats in your life. I think you get out of cats what you put into them in terms of love, affection, companionship - the whole reason to have cats to begin with. Growing up we had a cat, he was allowed outside, came in but in the hussle and bussle of life with four children, he didn't get much attention - and it showed. He was contrary and would scratch, didn't like to be petted or stroked - he kind of just did his own thing - still does. My parents still have him actually, he's 23 years old and just as crotchedy as ever!My DH had two cats when I met him. He works at home and they receive pretty much constant attention - each has their spot in the office and�one of them even�rubs my husband's face when he talks on the phone. Point is, we have awesome, affectionate, funny, very loving�cats - but they are that way because of the love and attention they receive. When my husband is away on business, they do get a little depressed - they'll hide for a whole day or just not be themselves (fight with each other) and are just unbearably needy when I get home from work. All I'm saying is you'll get out of the cats what you put in to them in terms of love, affection and attention. You may find that if you get cats, they aren't the fuzzy love bugs you were hoping for - and with all the time they spend by themselves, you'll be the invader when you are around. And I'm very sorry if this sounds harsh, it's only my opinion.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from spoogedog. Show spoogedog's posts

I'd just like to add a comment about adopting an adult cat. Thirteen years ago I adopted a six year old cat. He was very shy and we let him have the space he needed at the time. Today he is a sweet, friendly, loving cat. Six years ago I brought home a kitten who immediately became his companion. He doesn’t act or look like an old cat, and I hope to have him around for a long time.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from spoogedog. Show spoogedog's posts

I couldn't resist, here is Eddie and Thomas (he's the old one). In their favorite place, the library.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: moral dilemma - to get cats or not:
    [QUOTE]I couldn't resist, here is Eddie and Thomas (he's the old one). In their favorite place, the library.
    Posted by spoogedog[/QUOTE]

So cute, they're bibliophiles. :)

Sections
Shortcuts