Multiple-cat homes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCNewsEditor. Show BDCNewsEditor's posts

Multiple-cat homes

A new study by Tidy Cats said that nearly half of Americans without cats have purposely not visited a home because there were two or more cats living there.  Is the stereotype of the smelly, cat-hair covered multi-cat home true? 

I live in a multi-cat home with two loveable felines. I must admit my house has had its stinky moments, but I like to think that if I have company, I do a good job cleaning beforehand. What do you do to maintain your multi-cat home?  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: Multiple-cat homes

Did the study say the reason was because of fear of a smelly cat house?  I find there are more and more people with allergies that prevent them from spending any period of time in a home where shedding animals are present.  No matter how hard you clean, their dander does get into rugs, furniture and the air itself.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I avoid cat homes because of allergies like tt suggested.  I scratch my eyes silly for days after visiting someone with a cat.

I only avoid homes because of the smell (dog or cat) when the owners obviously do not take care of the litter box or clean up thoroughly after Fido's accidents on their favorite rugs...you know what I mean.  I'm not spending time anywhere that makes me smell like cat urine until I launder those clothes and wash my hair.  I worked for a woman who smelled like that, and I did go to her door once, and when she opened it I almost fainted when the ammonia hit me.  AGAIN, that is not representative of most pet owners, just sayin', it CAN be bad and worth avoiding.  I've been in many cat homes where you'd never know they had a cat except for the cat itself and my insane itchy eyes!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

It is a chore to keep up with the cat fur for sure.  I am always using my lint brush on my furniture but I also brush my cats weekly.  As far as the cat box, I do not understand cat owners that let the box get to the point where it stinks to high heaven and the entire house smells.  First of all, cats are incrediblly clean creatures and do not like dirty cat boxes.  I clean my cat box every night and change it every week.  I have a box with a cover and filter, so hopefully nobody smells anything. But I have never had anyone say anything either.  Kar, I feel for you with the pet allergies.  My husband was so allergic to cats and when we started dating, I had a cat and he was such a good egg, he would sit and wait for me and my cat April loved him!  Once he told me he was allergic (he didn't tell me right away) I insisted he wait in the car.  But I wouldn't visit anyone who had cat fur everywhere and a dirty box.  Yuck.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I've only encountered a "smelly" cat house once, and that was years ago when 3 of us used our lunch hour to visit a local psychic to have our fortunes read.
    OMG!  As soon as she opened the door, it was overwhelming.  Being the young fools that we were, we went in anyway, and the readings were a total bust to boot - all of us had "golden arches" (there was a McDonald's down the street) in our future, with money dropping into our laps!  Right - the only money dropping into any lap was ours into hers!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ambergirl, your poor DH not telling about his allergy!  And, oh, tt, how awful about your not-so-fortunate fortune telling experience.

Gracie got a Mango Tango dog wash yesterday (do-it-yourself equipment rental), and I washed all her bedding and collar.  She smells delicious.  I suppose cats don't need baths for all the self-cleaning they do...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

The only cat I ever had groomed was my Maggie.  She was a big, long haired cat but she had a bit of an oily coat.  My groomer actually groomed cats, not all of them do.  I only had it done twice a year, but boy did she smell and look good!  I personally give any groomer credit for doing that since cats are so not easy to work with and generally hate water. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Wow, she must have worn armor or had leather like skin!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from catitude61. Show catitude61's posts

i have 8 indoor cats, which can be overwhelming sometimes.( they chose me)
    everyday is a ritual of vacuuming, dusting, scooping. you must stay on top of it to prevent odor and mess.  the best litter is clumping litter, and i have found the best brand to be "fresh step for multiple cats"  for urine accidents on floor, or spraying problems, i trust natures miracle and anti-icky  sprays to completely remove odor. i also always have a glade scented fan that plugs in,or motion activated air freshener, it does a great job. whenever i expect company i always light candles with a fresh scent, it really helps

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Robingirl,

I had a cat years ago that use to matt.  She had a beautiful coat, like cotton balls, but always matted.  Groomers couldn't handle her, so my vet would actually sedate her and cut the matts out.  She never got shaved though.  I would have that done about twice a year.  I would have your friend ask the vet if he can do that. Not sure if they are willing anymore.  Hope this helps 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I vacuum once a week, and usually before people come over, because our cat sheds like crazy. I think the hair and dander are more of a problem than odor, because it's pretty easy to keep the litter box clean.
    I keep the box in the bathroom (which has a fan vent), I make a cover for it out of a cardboard box, scoop once a week and change the cover every 6 months.

But the hair, it gets everywhere no matter what we do. And she's mostly white so it's really noticeable. Even my clothes that are hanging up in the closet, with the door closed, get cat hair on them!
    I vacuum, I use a swiffer to catch all the cat hair tumbleweeds, but nothing gets rid of it completely. If I know people are allergic, I tell them not to come over because I know there's no way I can make it so that the apartment is 100% cat hair free. And even if people aren't allergic, they'll still probably pick up some cat hair on their clothes, which is a pain if we're going out somewhere. People who own cats themselves understand and don't care, but I feel bad for anyone else.
    I swear if I didn't love her so much I'd just shave her!

PS- Has anyone used that "pet hair remover" thing by 3M that I've seen on tv? I really want to try it, but I've wasted a lot of money in the past trying out pet hair solutions, so I'd want to hear reviews first!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

In Response to Re: Multiple-cat homes:
    [QUOTE]Robingirl, I had a cat years ago that use to matt.  She had a beautiful coat, like cotton balls, but always matted.  Groomers couldn't handle her, so my vet would actually sedate her and cut the matts out.  She never got shaved though.  I would have that done about twice a year.  I would have your friend ask the vet if he can do that. Not sure if they are willing anymore.  Hope this helps 
    Posted by ambergirl[/QUOTE]

My family had a persian mix with a matting problem while I was growing up. I was the designated mat-cutter because I had the patience to sit and pet him for long enough for him to let me snip them off. My stepfather was eventually able to get him to like being brushed by offering him special tasty treats if he tolerated the brush.

I would say bring the cat to the vet to get de-matted, then start brush training ASAP to prevent any future mats.
    Get something really yummy and smelly like fresh tuna or liver, and hold it in your hand, let the cat lick it but don't let go. Brush with the other hand. If the cat takes off, it doesn't get the treat. It will take a few weeks, but slowly their want for the treat overtakes their dislike for the brush. After a month or so my stepfather was able to set out a dish of tuna and the cat would munch away happily while he was brushed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I wish I had known that trick back then Pink.  I was single,living on my own and she was my first pet.  Only cat thank God I had to do that too.  My cats I have now love being brushed and I don't have to give them any treats.  April was not like that at all.  Very loving cat, but would run and hide when she would see the brush.  I rescued her from the street, so always makes me wonder what they have gone through before you get them. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

First, I would be skeptical of the study since it was sponsored by Tidy Cat. No doubt they want to spur people into buying more cat litter or odor control products. I have two cats. The only way that people who come to my house are aware that I have cats is when they see them. In fact, lol, most people who come to my house only believe I have one cat..since my female is timid and will generally hide under my bed for all, but a select few people.
    I think cleaning the litterbox daily..and once a week washing/bleaching are just fine. Another tip..don't use Tidy Cat..lol

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I love Fresh Step!  And I agree miscricket, I too clean daily and change weekly. I have never had anyone comment or not come and visit.  How funny I have one friendly cat and one shy one too : )

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

I have two cats and the litterbox is kept spotless and odorfree else the older one won't use it.  I have my own allergies to cats.  I've adapted to my two just fine (word of advice to other allergic but cat loving people, keep them out of your bedroom, it works wonders!), but if I go over someone else's house who has cats I end up itchy and sneezy.  I do my best to keep up with the cat hair, and they both get brushed regularly to keep down hairballs, but there is always some that collects on or in stuff, so if someone tells me they're allergic I warn them to take their meds BEFORE walking into my house.

Teaching a kitten that getting brushed is enjoyable makes all the difference when they're a long haired adult, even with my shorthaired cat, I spent alot of time on her as a kitten getting her used to being brushed and claws trimmed etc and she's so much easier to work with then my older cat who I got as an adult!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

/

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

In Response to Re: Multiple-cat homes:
    [QUOTE]I wish I had known that trick back then Pink.  I was single,living on my own and she was my first pet.  Only cat thank God I had to do that too.  My cats I have now love being brushed and I don't have to give them any treats.  April was not like that at all.  Very loving cat, but would run and hide when she would see the brush.  I rescued her from the street, so always makes me wonder what they have gone through before you get them. 
    Posted by ambergirl[/QUOTE]

yes, same with mine. He loved to be pet and scratched, but he hated the brush. We had him since he was a kitten, but it didn't matter. His undercoat was so wooly so the brush would get hung up on the tangles, and he just hated it.
    He was also quite the prima donna. His mother was a purebred persian, and he inherited her "I'm better than you!" attitude! Very stubborn and foul-tempered when he wasn't getting his way. I felt bad for the vet techs that had to hold him at his yearly visits!