1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bethanyrosevear. Show bethanyrosevear's posts

Need advise...again

Hi,  I had to get me 9 month old Shih Tzu shaved for the first time yesterday.  I have put her sweater on her since, but she seems to be cold anyway.  She almost seems depressed.  As I have previously explained, I am a hypocondriac when it comes to my baby, but she just seems so sad since she came back from the groomer.  She isn't playing or running like she did before.  She just seems to want to sleep. Any suggestions or thoughts on why?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Re: Need advise...again

Was she matted?  When I first got Amber, I had to shave her because she was matted underneath and I couldn't brush her.  I keep her coat longer in the winter and then really short in the summer.  Shih Tzu's do not do well with hot weather as their notrils are really small.  She more than likely is cold and Robin's suggestion of a T shirt is good.  If it makes you feel better, their coats grow back very quickly.  Amber gets groomed every 6 weeks and my groomer knows how I like her to be done.  If you take her regulary, she will get use to it and know what to expect.  Amber is a pro now after 13 years and her groomer loves her. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

The picture of Amber is from the summer.  Her coat is longer now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I have no personal experience as my guy is short-haried and only gets bathed and brushed at the groomer, but I'll give it a shot... Maybe she is a little cold and/or since it was the first time, she might be confused about what happened there and why her fur is gone.  In addition to keeping her warm with a sweater, try a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel of blanket in her bed (if she isn't a chewer who will spring a leak, of course).  Also, maybe try a special treat to perk her up, like some warm (not hot) chicken broth?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Couldn't hurt to call the groomer too and describe how she's acting.  They may have seen the same behavior in other dogs.  Good luck with your baby - my son has one and they are the most lovable pups.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Yes they are : )

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

They sell heating pads to put under existing dog beds.  I'd give something like this a try if I knew for sure it wouldn't get chewed.  That breed isn't prone to chewing, is it?

Amazon Pet Warming Pad

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Amber chewed when she was a puppy,  She chewed a coffee table leg and under my cabinets in my kitchen.  You wouldn't believe the damage those little teeth can do!  But she outgrew it thank God..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, I think all puppies chew no matter what breed because of the teething...too bad for your table and cabinets!  I was constantly after Gracie to "leave it" and tossing her a toy to chew.  Constantly.  Indeed, thankfully, she outgrew it (mostly), too.  At least now she just chews her own stuff without any supervision.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I was upstairs taking a shower and I didn't realize I hadn't closed the crate door all the way.  When I came downstairs, she was having a party.  And she had a ton of chew toys!  Amber hasn't been in her crate since she was 2.  She has the run of the house.  I am very blessed to not have any issues with her.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I agree with Nov that she might just be out of sorts because it was the first time she's ever been groomed. It's probably not even that she didn't like the experience, but that a little excitement goes a long way for a small breed.
    My little Max will spend the whole next day sleeping if I bring him over someone's house or out and about for the day. He loves the excitement, but it wears him out and he needs a day or two to recharge the batteries.

Keep the sweater on her and give her some extra snuggles.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Great advice Pink.  I just realized Amber does take a nap shortly after coming home from the groomers.  You are right, Amber can only handle so much excitement too.  Love the advice of extra snuggles : )

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

In Response to Re: Need advise...again:
    [QUOTE]Great advice Pink.  I just realized Amber does take a nap shortly after coming home from the groomers.  You are right, Amber can only handle so much excitement too.  Love the advice of extra snuggles : )
    Posted by ambergirl[/QUOTE]

One time while my mother was dogsitting for me, she took Max out for a day-long walk through a big national park near her house. The next day, he refused to get out of bed! She called me, very worried that he was sick, and I had to assure her that he was just tired after all that exercise.
    Sure enough, he had his energy back after 24 hours. My mom's used to the energy level of a corgi or a beagle, those dogs are impossible to wear out! I had to break it to her that chihuahuas don't have the same stamina as working dogs. He's used to napping most of the day!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bethanyrosevear. Show bethanyrosevear's posts

she is wearing her sweater and still shakes from time to time, I am wondering if maybe keeping her wrapped up is a bad idea because it is raising her body temp then when she isn't under the blankets she feels even colder.  I have no idea though, just guessing.  Maybe it is just the shock of losing her fur.  I will definitely keep an eye on her over the next couple days. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

They have do-it-yourself dog grooming places, too, if you want a hybrid experience - no mess at home, but you do all the handling of your dog.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I think calling the behavior a "red flag" is a bit much.
    It was simply a new experience for the dog. Just like the first trip to the vet, they're understandably overwhelmed by it, but they get used to it after a little while.

At 9 months your dog is still young and very adaptable to new situations. Repeated exposure to such situations are the only way a dog can become properly socialized.
    Max was terrified the first time I brought him on the T, but now he loves riding the subway with me. After a handful of trips he learned that, in spite of the noise, the T was a safe place.
    If you cater to their fears you can make them even more anxious than they already are.

Toy breeds have a talent for tapping into our maternal instincts, but we must remember that they are dogs. We mustn't coddle or shelter them. A fearful dog is a dangerous dog.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I agree with Pink.  I wouldn't think that was a red flag at all.  Just a new experience and she probably is cold.  Once you establish a relationship with your groomer, he/she will get to know your dog and what your likes and dislikes are. I am assuming she was 'shaven" for a reason? I personally don't like the eyebrows long and request them scissor cut. I would not try to groom a Shih Tzu by myself.  They have a specific haircut, beard, eyebrows, tail etc.  You can make your dog look really silly if you don't know what you are doing.  But if you have a dog that doesn't have a specific look, then go for doing it yourself. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Best thing to do - ignore it.  Let her sulk.  the worst thing you can do is coddle her.  It will teach her to sulk whenever she wants something.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

DWL, I don't believe the poster is saying the puppy was sulking.  Just doesn't seem to be herself.  First time grooming and the fact she got shaved plays a part in her behavior. I think she will be fine, the hair will grow back and she will get use to gettting groomed.  Hard when you are a first time dog owner. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Robingirl, the dog is not physically harmed.  Just reacting to the first time groom and getting shaved.  You can't say the groomer did anything to the puppy, it is not evident. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

if there is no physical evidence of harm- a red mark, a cut, etc. - then it is extreme to assume the groomer abused the dog simply because the dog wasn't thrilled with the experience.

Max shakes all over in the tub every time I give him a bath. That doesn't mean I'm abusing him, it means that he just doesn't like baths!
    But, he's learned to tolerate them because I refused to coddle him or cater to his fears.

If we never brought our pets anywhere that didn't appeal to them, they'd never go to the vet!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

My dog came home with an eye irritation that required a trip to the Vet,  as the dog's owner I know when something went wrong, there are plenty of groomers around ,   no need to take a chance and return there.

The groomer may have accidentally shaved too close and nipped her causing irritation and discomfort.    And no, I don't think it is extreme to call her behaviour a red flag,   how else are they suppose to communicate?  They can't talk!    Maybe the place just doesn't appeal to her.

I never said anyone harmed anyone???   I'm just saying as a consumer if you have any questions or concerns regarding services you have received you are free to take your business elsewhere.   Please don't put words in my mouth.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Nobody is putting words in your mouth Robingirl.  You get very defensive when your opinion is challenged.  You are inferring the groomer did something wrong, so the poster should get another groomer.  The only conclusioin I took from that is you think the groomer harmed her dog, otherwise why in the world would you recommend she get a new one???  Because the dog is cold from getting shaved and a little sad??  My dog doesn't like getting groomed but she tolerates it because she has to.  This is a new experience and all dogs have to adapt.  It is extremely important Shih Tzu's get groomed regularly, so they have to get use to it. The poster is a new dog owner and the puppy is only 9 months old.  She also says she is a bit of a hypochondriac, so no need to make her paranoid about her groomer.   Yes, there are bad groomers out there and sorry you had a bad experience.  You choose to do it yourself.  Me personally, in MY opinion, I would never do that with a Shih Tzu (specific cut) and I would never do her ears.  You can do more harm than good if you don't know what you are doing.  But your recommendation is for her to do it herself.  That is fine and good, but stop trying to convince her the groomer did something wrong.  This is a public forum for all opinions and owning a Shih Tzu for 13 years, gives me some real experience. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Going to a groomer is like going to the hairdresser, if you don't like the results you can try another one,  just like some dogs might like one Vet better compared to another. 

I tried 3 groomers before I found one I liked,  and the dog seemed relaxed and comfortable there, I stuck with her for 2 years.

I think people need to know they have choices and options.

I now prefer to groom them myself.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

How is you pupette doing today bethany?

As a first time dog owner myself, I know that its hard NOT to be a little bit of a hypochondric, especially since they can't tell us what's wrong.  Keep in mind that dogs are very routined animals and change can and will set them off.  That's why its so important to socialize and expose them to as many people, places and things as possible.  I think it was just the new experience - she'll get used to it.  Like Pink said - she doesn't have to like it, but she does have to tolerate it, so keep at it.

But, if you are truly unsettled by her behavior, a call to the groomer to make sure everything was OK (who knows, maybe another dog snapped at her, or she was kenneled and usually isn't), or even to your vet may give you some peace of mind.  My vet, for example, takes/returns emails, so I can ask questions and get information without always having to make and appointment and pay for a visit.  Sometimes I feel silly afterwards for worrying so much, but when I really think about it - anyone who has a problem with me caring about my dog's welfare, wouldn't be someone I would want treating my dog.