1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lj226. Show lj226's posts

New cat lost in house

This is kind of a crazy story. My niece is living in my condo (1000 sq. ft) while I am living abroad for a year and adopted a new kitten last week (6 months old). The cat is naturally skittish and was hiding when she first brought it home, under the bed, under the desk. She has now not seen the cat since this past Sunday night. She has scoured the house, looked under every piece of furniture, moved everything, looked in closets, in drawers. The unit is on the 3rd floor (3 family house) so even if the cat got out the front door of the condo, and she is 99.9% sure it did not get out, it would be in the hallway. I do not think it could fit in the heating registers (floor units) and even if it somehow managed to get in there, I would think she would hear it meowing. There is a crawl space in the kitchen behind the refrigerator which she has checked but she is going to go and remove the insulation in there tonight as this is the last possible place we can think of. She has tried leaving out tuna and putting flour down by its box and food to see if it was coming out when she was out of the house, but it is not. As far as she can tell, It has not used its box or eaten since Sunday night. We are at our wits end. Does anyone have any ideas on crazy places a cat might hide that we would not think of? Also, any ideas on how long it could last without using its box or eating? Thanks for the help.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Re: New cat lost in house

Don't panic!   It may take a month,  the cat will reappear, leave food water and the litter box in the same place, they tend to come out at night.

A friend of mine moved from a condo to a house way back when and her cat went directly to the attic and didn't come out for a month, he did eat the food that was left out for him at night [after about 3 days], my friend wanted to go up to the attic and drag him out but her husband said let him be, in the end it all worked out.

If he got out, all you can do is notify the animal control officer and your neighbors, maybe put up some flyers...but my guess is that he's found a good hiding spot and will come out when he's ready. 

I think he could make it a few days, maybe a week without food...

BTW: I wouldn't tear apart any walls or structures, give it time.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

A cat can hide behind the fridge for days. Mine did when I left him at my sister's when I went away for a week.  But he was a full grown cat. I've since learned to get a pet sitter come to me, rather than leaving my cat w/ a friend.  I think he ventured out for food and water, but he was pretty thin and sad when I came home. Give it a few days, but leave plenty of food and water out.  He/she will find it. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I have a 5-month old kitten and for the first week, he hid so well we could not find him.  He did come out and eat and use his litter box at night.  Even now he doesn't come "out" all that often and he doesn't like to be picked up, etc.  The Shelter where we got him said it could take anywhere from 2 weeks to 1 year for the cat to feel completely settled and comfortable.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

The key here is to make sure you are seeing signs that your kitten is eating and using the litterbox. If you aren't seeing signs of either of those things in a 24 hour period..you need to be agressive in searching for your little furball.
    My younger cat was given to me as a birthday present. When she came into my home..she was kept in one area for the first few days..primarily so she could adjust to her new surroundings and so that my older cat could adjust to her. It was pretty smooth. Once you find your kittie..you should consider keeping him confined to one small area of your home for a while until he gets a sense of security.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennysdad. Show jennysdad's posts

I had a cat who liked to hide on the top of kitchen cabinets. There was about a foot of space between the cabinet tops and the ceiling. You never mentioned the kitchen except for the refrigerator. High places are anothere possibility. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LLinda123. Show LLinda123's posts

Years and years ago I was missing my kitten... could not find her anywhere.  She had been sitting in the window when apparently, the old window slammed down leaving her stuck between the storm window and the inside window.  I looked for her for days.  Finally, I opened the blinds and there she was, pressed between the 2 windows.  I don't know who was more relieved, her or me!  Check the windows!!  Good luck!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

I hope the cat has surfaced by now!    How about baking some fish?  If I was a cat and I was hungry I think I'd show up for that! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

LL, I feared a tragic end to that one.  So relieved to see the happy ending for you both!  Hoping the same for the OP.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

If the cat hasn't surfaced by now, I'd be getting a little panicky.  I'm a great believer in talking to cats and encouraging them to answer back - not words of course, but with "mmmmmm?"  Most cats will respond, and I would be going over every inch of that condo "mmmmmm?" ing "good boy?" and shaking a box of kibble.  Re-open all the drawers and perhaps leave them open overnight.  Any boxes or pieces of furniture that have just a sliver of space under them? Charlie used to jump on top of the refrigerator and snuggle in the back against a corner wall that held the chimney.  Took me the longest time to find that favorite spot of his.  Hope you will give us an update on what's going on. 

ETA:  Two other suggestions, knock on the doors of neighboring condos and ask about him, and post a notice of "lost cat" on the lobby bulletin board.  Someone may have taken him in.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

There's a spot my cats have found.  The underside of couches is often covered with fabric, but there are gaps or seams in the fabric that cats seem to find, and then they can get themselves up in there.  You won't see them -- especially a kitten -- when you look under the couch, because they're either tucked up into the frame of the couch or you might see fabric hanging down and not realize that there's a cat inside that sling of liner.

Kittens especially can wriggle into very small spaces, so don't overlook places you think are bound to be too tiny to squeeze into.

Best of luck to your niece!  (And the cat, too!)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccconservative. Show ccconservative's posts

Underside of the box spring of beds is also a place cats like to hide as well