1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lad324. Show lad324's posts

Re: New Pets site is live

I think the site is off to a great start!  Thanks! 

It would be really nice to see pet events around town, pet friendly ideas and recommendations (places to go, websites to visit, products suggested.) 

Looking forward to watching the site grow.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Very nice!  Living out here near the Quabbin, though, I'd like to see more Worcester area dog friendly places.  Is online readership generally limited to greater Boston?

A calendar of dog events would be great especially if they extend to the Worcester area.

Love the featured video section.  Cried at the soldier's greeting.

Thanks!
    ~kar

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

Thanks for the ideas, lad and kar ... we have a Things to do section in the right column, and the parameters are set to show events within 50 miles of Boston, so it covers Worcester. And featuring websites and products is a good idea. Thanks!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, I'll check that out - didn't see it.

Thanks!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maldenlady. Show Maldenlady's posts

Ya know what I'd love?  A list of dog parks, by town...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lad324. Show lad324's posts

In Response to Re: New Pets site is live:
    [QUOTE]Ya know what I'd love?  A list of dog parks, by town...
    Posted by Maldenlady[/QUOTE]

I found this helpful:
    http://www.boston.com/travel/explorene/specials/pets/dog_parks/

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JanisGayle. Show JanisGayle's posts

Great stuff, dog parks and dog-friendly living. I live in Westwood where some people take dogs to Buckmaster Pond - not fenced so you must use judgment and keep dogs under your control. I take my dog off-leash, as do many, some run into the water to splash. The town of Sharon has a nice dog park. Sitting outside at Starbucks with my dog is a treat; she's small enough to fit under my chair and never bothers anyone. Many people enjoy saying hello to her and she helps me in my Realtor business - who doesn't love an adorable dog?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from portiaperu. Show portiaperu's posts

Question about stories posted in "Pets"

I just posted this note in the comments section of a story and then I found this thread; perhaps it will gain appropriate attention here.

portiaperu wrote:
    To the Globe editors:

Please explain why the hanging of a cat would be under the "Pet" column of this newspaper?

This is a crime not a pet story, isn't it?

Same for the more recent story about cats abandoned in NH.

What is "Pet" oriented about these criminal acts against animals?

It makes for a bizarre reading experience.

And, your placement of stories is inconsistent. Just the other day a story about a nearly drowned dog was placed on the "front" page.

Can someone address this question? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Unfortunately portiaperu, some of these animals were "pets" of irresponsible owners, and fortunately, some that survive these atrocious acts will hopefully be adopted and become loved pets of responsible owners.  I think many on here care for the welfare of animals in general and not just their particular pets.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCNewsEditor. Show BDCNewsEditor's posts

Hi portiaperu - Thanks for your comment.  I'm sorry that seeing those stories in the Pets section was upsetting for you. Let me try to convey my reasoning for using them:

1. In general, I feel that the examples you provided (the hanging cat, the abandoned kittens, and the nearly drowned dog) *were* pet-related in that they involved the well-being of a pet.

2. I think Novembride said it well - we care for the welfare of pets in general, not just our own pets.  So when kittens are abandoned in a careless fashion, we want people to know. Maybe people who see the story will have information for the police. Maybe people who see the story will want to adopt them.  Then again, maybe nothing will come of us posting the story, except angering loyal readers like yourself.  Nonetheless, I stand by our use of this story - it was the latest in a string of pet abandoment issues in our area.

3. The hanging cat story was borderline at best, I admit. I can understand your objection to this story.  All I can say is that it was not used prominently. It was used as a headline-only story below the top box on the Pets front page for a day or two.

4. The story about the nearly drowned dog was placed on the front page  because it was meant as a cautionary tale for pet owners.  This was a tiny dog who was allowed to play in water that was too deep for him, and was injured as a result. The owner even had to turn over the dog to the MSPCA because of the extensive care it required. 

I hope you'll continue reading our Pets section, and I sincerely hope you'll continue to share your thoughts.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from brenda006. Show brenda006's posts

Fun pet video on beagle puppy

Hi,

Here's a video of our spastic beagle puppy, Max. We adopted him from B.O.N.E.S., the beagle rescue group for New England.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cECiwilEvII

Enjoy!

Brenda Friedman
    Lexington, MA

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from portiaperu. Show portiaperu's posts

Yes, I care about all animals, domestic, wild, on the land, in the sky, seas, etc, not just the cats and dogs in my family.  That's not the point.   I find the classification of appalling crimes as "pet" stories very odd.  These stories should be featured on the news pages of the paper (or prominently in local or national news online).  I care about all animals and that's why I would wish to see the stories moved out of "pets" and into the more appropriate news category.

This is just my opinion - I was surprsied to see animal cruelty, which I believe is a huge unaddressed problem, relegated to a pets column.    We should be bringing it to a far greater audience.  Again, just my  opinion. 

[QUOTE]Unfortunately portiaperu, some of these animals were "pets" of irresponsible owners, and fortunately, some that survive these atrocious acts will hopefully be adopted and become loved pets of responsible owners.  I think many on here care for the welfare of animals in general and not just their particular pets.
    Posted by Novembride[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from portiaperu. Show portiaperu's posts

First, please see my response to the post above.

Thank you for your answer to my post.  It's very thorough but I believe you misunderstood my point - the stories in question belong in  newspaper sections where other crimes are reported.  Animal abuse, whether domesticated or wild animals is a crime - a horrible crime - it's not a pet storiy.    I wasn't upset by the stories, I have long been involved with animal rescue organizations and adoption organizations and know full well the horror of animal abuse.   I feel that placing these crime stories on the "pet" page ignores the very real crimes that were committed.  I think the full readership needs to be informed whenever such a crime is committed and placing the stories on the "pet" page assures they will not be seen by as many readers.   

As I said above, it's just my opinion as to how stories should be categorized.  Placing a story about a cat being abused/hung next to a story about how dogs idress up for halloween (an inane example) makes for an extremely incongruous reading experience.      

[QUOTE]Hi portiaperu - Thanks for your comment.  I'm sorry that seeing those stories in the Pets section was upsetting for you. Let me try to convey my reasoning for using them: 1. In general, I feel that the examples you provided (the hanging cat, the abandoned kittens, and the nearly drowned dog) *were* pet-related in that they involved the well-being of a pet. 2. I think Novembride said it well - we care for the welfare of pets in general, not just our own pets.  So when kittens are abandoned in a careless fashion, we want people to know. Maybe people who see the story will have information for the police. Maybe people who see the story will want to adopt them.  Then again, maybe nothing will come of us posting the story, except angering loyal readers like yourself.  Nonetheless, I stand by our use of this story - it was the latest in a string of pet abandoment issues in our area. 3. The hanging cat story was borderline at best, I admit. I can understand your objection to this story.  All I can say is that it was not used prominently. It was used as a headline-only story below the top box on the Pets front page for a day or two. 4. The story about the nearly drowned dog was placed on the front page  because it was meant as a cautionary tale for pet owners.  This was a tiny dog who was allowed to play in water that was too deep for him, and was injured as a result. The owner even had to turn over the dog to the MSPCA because of the extensive care it required.  I hope you'll continue reading our Pets section, and I sincerely hope you'll continue to share your thoughts.
    Posted by BDCMaude[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Fun pet video on beagle puppy

In Response to Fun pet video on beagle puppy:
    [QUOTE]Hi, Here's a video of our spastic beagle puppy, Max. We adopted him from B.O.N.E.S., the beagle rescue group for New England. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cECiwilEvII Enjoy! Brenda Friedman Lexington, MA
    Posted by brenda006[/QUOTE]

So cute - thanks for posting!  You've got a handful there. :)

Sections
Shortcuts