1. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Re: Pet allergies?

Well I'm glad she's feeling better.  Hopefully Gracie's feet heal quickly!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I wish it were so easy to find food she likes.  She doesn't seem to know that because she's a dog she's not supposed to be finicky.  LOL  When she was little she was far underweight, according to our vet, because she didn't like the food and she was literally starving herself.  People would tell us that when she was hungry enough she'd eat, but they were wrong.

BUT, happily, that's neither here nor there, now.  She LOVES the Pacific Stream formula, possibly even more than the duck version of Taste of the Wild.  So, I'm mixing what's left despite wanting to get her off the duck asap so she doesn't have digestive upset from switching.  I hope this cures her because if it doesn't I can't for the life of me think of what is making her itch around here that's different than it has been for the last 6 months.

By the way, I ran a reg tool cleaner this morning on the computer so BDC automatically logged me out (no cookies).  I thought it was broken 'cause I couldn't add to any discussions.  Brilliant, huh?!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Kar- too funny about Price Chopper! My friend was telling me that when her mom first moved here from AZ, she went to the butcher (ah, the good ol' days) and asked if he had any beef heart (which is popular in AZ, being tex-mex cuisine). The butcher was amazed, and told her he'd just give them to her because no one ever bought them! Can you imagine?

Wellness is a really wonderful brand. We used to feed the cat that, but we switched to Blue Buffalo because we got a sample and our cat preferred the taste.
    Wellness has great soft dog treats that Max goes nuts over.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, clc!  Gosh, that's weird about the Pedigree.  I wonder if it has a lot of corn in it.  It stuns me how many dog foods have corn as the number one ingredient and it's not good for any dog.  Some tolerate it better than others, though.

She seems to be doing better already on the Salmon formula even though she isn't on it 100%.  What's bothering her most, now, is the cracked pads (which I'm religiously rubbing bag balm into) and her split nail.  I haven't noticed her licking between her toes today. :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Hey Kar! Yes, Max has allergies. He's allergic to chicken meal (real chicken meat or the dried chicken stuff is fine, but any processed chicken makes him itch) and he has seasonal allergies, probably pollen. I switched him to food where the primary ingrediant is bison. I also give him omega-3 fatty acid supplements (from Drs Foster & Smith). It's essentially fish-oil with some other stuff in it too.

The salmon food should be perfect. It's got to be chock-full of fish oil, which is execellent for allergy relief. It might not be the duck that bothers her, just how it's processed. I don't know what they do to poultry to process it that's so different from fish or beef, but it seems to really affect some dogs.

The trick with the boots is to put them on and bring her directly outside. They have to be the last thing that happens before you go out. Put your coat and shoes on, put her leash on, get everything ready, then put the boots on and take her outside.
    She'll get used to them more quickly and tolerate them better if she associates them with going outside. Plus, everything outside is so exciting and distracting, she'll quickly forget about those weird things on her feet.
    Good luck!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

We feed the cat Blue Buffalo. Max gets Just a Wee Bit from Solid Gold. If he runs out of food and I can't get to Petco I buy Spot's Stew Salmon Recipie from the Whole Foods near our apartment. Believe it or not, Whole Foods sells that food cheaper than Petco does. I think Petco hikes up the prices on the hollistic brands, because I pay about the same there as I do at the boutique-y type store in Boston.

The boots should stay on if you pull the strap nice and tight. Max has skinny little legs, so sometimes his slip off if he runs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

CT-DC, thanks for your input.  We had no idea having a pet could be so stressful (for their well being) or complicated, but I guess it's not uncommon.  Glad you found things that your kitties do well with.  I'd never have considered the plastic issue!

Price Chopper's butchery really does remind me of the old fashioned shops, but a lot bigger.  That's funny about the free beef hearts, Pinkkie!

I'll check out the Wellness soft treats.  The yucky ones give her diahrea so I've been giving her liver as soft treats.  Kind of messy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

My 2 cats both have allergies:

one to turkey.
    the other cat to corn gluten.

they eat 2 different foods (yes, it's fun around here!): cat allergic to turkey eats Wellness Brand hard food (blue bag) which doesn't have any corn gluten, because it's better for her.  and when she gets moist food it's wellness brand - anything other than turkey.

cat who is allergic to corn gluten is harder - she can eat ONLY Hills Feline i/d - or else she is one big diarrhea kitty!  the Wellness should be ok, but it's not, and since she's 171/2 yrs old I'll feed her anything that makes her feel good.  She has high blood pressure so she gets her pill mixed into a teeny bit of wellness moist cat food.  When she goes, any future cats will eat Wellness cat food (blue bag) along with the younger cat who eats it now.  I hope - it would certainly be easier if they were all on the same food!

oh, also we are careful to feed them from china dishes and not plastic ones because often the plastic itself causes allergic issues - one cat's lips got REALLY swollen when I goofed and used plastic a few times. 

the only exception to this is that I used to use an automatic hard food dispenser and a cat watering thing and both seemed fine - but those are really hard plastic and that seems to be the difference.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

My dog also has problems with certain foods. We've found out that her stomach can't handle Pedigree dog food. 

It started with the wet dog food which would make her vomit within a few hours.  Clearly, we took her off of that quickly.  Then last year, after eating Pedigree dry dog food for 2 years, she started vomiting quite often.  After several rounds of tests and lots of money the vet couldn't pin point any specific issues.  We decided to switch her food and she's been fine ever since.  She's eating IAMS Healthy Naturals now and really seems to like it.

Another option to balance out Gracies' system and make sure she's eating is a white rice and chicken diet.  With everything Bella's been through we go back to that diet anytime she starts getting sick.  She loves the chicken so she clears the bowl every time and it's reassuring to know that she's actually eating.

Good luck with everything.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You feed him Blue Buffalo, right?  I wish dog food companies would be more consciencious about the way their food is processed.  It obviously is bad for quite a large percentage of pets, and I had no idea.  And, what's with all the corn-based ones?  Greedy son of a guns.  Mm, I didn't think of the fish oil itself as being good for allergies, but, of course, that's true!  YAY!

OK, that makes sense about the booties being last.  Maybe she'll even figure out that her feet don't hurt anymore with the booties on and leave them alone.  Although, I was hoping she'd like them enough to wear inside.  The bag balm is making a big mess of everything.  We'll just have to see how it goes, I guess.  I just hope they stay on outside if nothing else.

It stinks like liver in here!  I like liver, but not like I fix it for her, totally plain and just fried.  Oh, well, she love it, and I need to cake it around her antibiotics (for her split nail) to get her to swallow them.

Thanks, Pinkie!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pet allergies?

Hi, again.  Do you hate Gracie yet?  Please don't - she has a nutty mommy who freaks out easily.

Anyway, seems she has an allergy to the new food.  The doc thinks it's the duck that's making her feet itch.  Poor thing; she loves it, too.  Anyway, we're switching her to the salmon version of Taste of the Wild, their Pacific Stream variety.  She seems to like that...or, she was just plain starving by the time we got home and fed her.  Hopefully, the former.  It's supposed to be for "sensitive dogs" at least from a digestive perspective.

Anyone else have pets with allergies, and do you give them hollistic allergy remedies?  Pinkkittie, I seem to recall Max suffers with something...forgive my memory lapse.  Refresh me?

TIA!

~kar

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Kar, if she has an allergy to the food, the simplest thing to do is switch the food.  Honestly, I have food sensitivites to dairy and wheat - but I love icecream and cookies. I know when I eat them, I am going to have a reaction, but I am able to make an informed decision about that when I choose to put the food in my mouth (ie, if I know I'm going to have to speak in public the next day - an interview for example - I won't eat icecream the night before b/c I get congested and am going to be repeatedly clearing my throat the next day, not to mention having itchy, watery eyes, itchy skin).  Pets don't get to choose whether they want to eat the food they like and suffer a reaction.  Of course Gracie likes the food - she's a dog!  But you have to make the decision for her that she won't eat it if she's allergic to it, and buy her something else.

FWIW, I've been told that allergies to food only get worse over time.  The only way to prevent food allergies and sensitivites from flaring up is to avoid the food.  HTH!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

At whole foods it's $9 for the 4lb bag, at Petco it's $13.
    It might be that Whole Foods gets a bigger quantity discount because they only sell 3 brands of dog food, and they have them at every store and they sell well. There's usually only one or two bags there when I go. Who knows? I rarely shop at Whole Foods, unless I'm looking for good meat or cheese to serve.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You know who has great meat, a total surprise to me?  PRICE CHOPPER!  Not sure if they have all the "natural" selections, but they do have tons of cuts and things that are hard to find like gizzards and chicken hearts...not that you'd serve that to company, LOL!  I use it for dog treats...there, back on topic. :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

http://www.petco.com/Shop/petco_ProductList_PC_productlist_Nav_191_N_22+4294956570.aspx?Ns=P_FamilyName%7c1&CoreCat=DogSFC_Dog+BiscuitsTreats&pso=1

they've got a selection with lots of options so if your dog has food allergies you can pick the ingrediants you want. The Jerky Treats by Wellness and the Zukes brand are good as well.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks!  She's still not licking between her toes at all that I've noticed.  Maybe she wasn't itchy at all and was just licking the cracked sides of her pads that aren't bothering her as much since I've been using the bag balm.  I dunno.  Either way, she's getting on the salmon-based food.  It's easier to digest, and she likes it as much as she liked the other.  It makes the pantry smell terrible, though.  YUCK.  Probably why she likes it.  ;)  Bag balm doesn't smell so nice, either, and it's making a mess of the floors. 

Pinkkittie, I ordered the Muttlucks for her (hot pink, fleece lined) on your recommendation - thanks!  Did you find that Max took to them well, or did he try to pull them off at first? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

here's the listing at Petco. The Zuke's treats are also good. I like that they have a selection of ingrediants, some beef, some chicken, some turkey & salmon. You'll also see the Wellness Jerky Treats. Those are a good buy as well.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Cool, thanks.  They should stay on Gracie's clodhoppers, then. :)

Wow, Petco really must hike the price for it to be more than what WFs sells it for. 

I get Gracie's food at a rural farmish type department store something like Spag's used to be, Klem's in Specer.  Good prices on Taste of the Wild.  I think their biggest bag is $44.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks!  I've pretty much cut out all treats other than the liver I cook her.  And, her feet have stopped itching since we switched to the Pacific Stream formula of Taste of the Wild.  It was almost immediate even though it took about 3 weeks for her to exhibit signs of it bothering her (so I didn't make the connection).  I think the new formula is as easy on her digestion as her immune system, too, just as promised by the company. YAY!   We don't use salt at all, but the town does so we've limited walks, and I make sure to wash her feet when we get home.  The bag balm is amazing for softening her pads, too.  I think we're pretty much through this emergency, thanks, again, everyone!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from FunLovingPets. Show FunLovingPets's posts

Try foods that have limited number of ingredients in them and do not forget the treats and whatever your animal can get into. My Chichuahua will pick up a piece of popcorn before it hits the floor. He also will try and get pizza. I am lucky he does not have any allergies.

California Natural has some good products that are grain free also EVO. They all are high quality with limited ingredients.  Check out treats that are made of one ingredient such as Grizzly treats or Wholesome treats.

The winter months can be difficult on animals that go outside as there is a lot of salt on the roads and be aware of what you use on your driveway and walks. The only product that is safe for pets and children is Safe Paw. Check out the warnings on the other products.
    www.funlovingpets.com

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

chihuahuas do love their popcorn! Max knows I'm bound to drop at least 5 peices.

Sections
Shortcuts