Pets and our health

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maldenlady. Show Maldenlady's posts

Re: Pets and our health

Ditto, robingirl!

Ya take your pal out for wlks at least twice a day; play catch (if you've got a smart dog, you do more catching than they do -- good cardio!  And they smother you with kisses when you come back home after a hard day's work...who could ask for more?

Re:  the "catch" issue -- do you all ever get the feeling that sometimes your dog is thinking "if they want it back, why'd they throw it in the first place??"

These scientists need to adopt a dog -- primo personal trainer!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I don't think we can say for sure that pets are good for everyone's health.
    Pets may alleviate stress, but they also cause stress. I love my cat, but when she ruins a favorite sweater or throws up on the bed, it's stressful. Plus they cost money. There was a time when money was tight and all I was always worried that if my dog or cat got sick that I wouldn't be able to afford their vet bills.
    And I also think we have to take into account the fact that many people are allergic to animals, or simply don't like animals- thye certainly wouldn't be any happier or healthier if they lived with pets.
    Plus, think about animal hoarders and animal abusers. These people have pets but are still depressed and very sick. There's no way they're going to get healthy if they're still allowed to own pets.
    It's going to depend heavily on the situation, the pet and the individual pet owner. We can't do any simple study and declare "Pets are good for you!" or "Pets are bad for you!"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pkfunk. Show pkfunk's posts

I think we're kind of a biased group... right?  I mean, we're part of the pets forum on boston.com afterall.  Pets make my life better overall, of course, and I consider them to be part of my family.  I really love them, find that they make me very happy and would be devestated if something happened to them. 

However, you have to remember that there are some people who have issues (like animal hoarders pinkkittie mentioned) who shouldn't really own pets because it causes problems for them and the pets... then there are other people who just don't like pets and are stressed out by them.  I don't personally understand those issues, but they exist. 

Finally, all of these articles pointing to scientific research are talking about surveys.  If you ever read anything based on survey results, you should probably question the validity of the conclusion.  Surveys are biased in and of themselves due (1) how the survey is administered and (2) the design of the questions themselves.  I'm not even going to get into the whole concept of randomness... it's very difficult to get a truly random sampling of all kinds of people.

So... long story short... I don't agree with the findings in that particular article, but there's a whole group of people who probably would.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maldenlady. Show Maldenlady's posts

In Response to Re: Pets and our health:
    PKfunk and pinkitty -- good points!  Like with anything else, there are exceptions.  I feel very fortunate that I don't have allergies, nor am I a hoarder.  i have friends who have had a number of dogs, but I've always been in one-dog only situations.
    I also understand what you're saying about stress:  if I felt that i couldn't get home before the dog needed to get out, I'd worry about it...I've had to clean up after a pet, too.  Not fun, but it's part of the responsibility...So i guess there is another side.  But I will forever be pro-canine and pro-felix!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If my mom owned a dog I'm not sure which one of them would be in the ground from the other first.  She cannot believe I'm a dog person and doesn't understand why anyone would want to have an animal in their homes and thinks "pet" is a word that shouldn't exist.  I'm pretty sure if she had one it would not be good for her health.

Also, allergy sufferers wouldn't be in too good shape, either.  Gracie is our little dust maker!  Not to mention the dander.  Yes, there are meds, but what are the long term effects of being on antihistamines every day for your whole life?  I don't know.

BUT, I can say from our experience, that Gracie is adding years of happy, healthy life to the kargiver household.  She adds a quiet peace and joy to our home that we thought was there before she arrived.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BreedTrust. Show BreedTrust's posts

Great points by all! As far as these scientific studies, these are the same researchers who tell us one week to take a particular vitamin supplement for our health and a year later they say that same vitamin can cause us harm and we shouldn't take it. 

I have a really hard time believing that pets couldn't enrich someone's life long-term and make them a healthier, happier person (exclusive of those people with allergies and other issues as some here have mentioned). I think for the majority of people they are a great asset.  Pre-requisite is that you have to like animals and not be allergic to them to begin with or you may be setting yourself up for disaster.

Financial stresses are another issue for some, especially in this economy since so many are people have lost their jobs and it's expensive to own a pet.   Fortunately there are some great programs like Fairy Dogparents that help people struggling financially keep their pets. 

I completely agree with robingirl about the benefits of pets and the elderly. I'm not sure what my mother would do without hers.  As a widow, their companionship really makes a difference in her life.  As much as she complains about them when they get into things and as often as she jokingly says they raise her blood pressure rather than lower it, she wouldn't give them up for anything in the world.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maldenlady. Show Maldenlady's posts

In Response to Re: Pets and our health:
    [
    I just wanted to ditto Robingirl -- I think that's a wonderful idea!  I wonder how one would go about setting something like this up?  Would there be any insurance/liability issues to speak of?  How to finance?  How would it be marketed?  Could Assisted Living Facilities, community centers, etc somehow be involved, along with, say, no-kill shelters?  Hmmm...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

If I did not like animals or was allergic, I would not have them.  Therefore, no stress. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

As you all know I love animals and my animals especially : )  But I found out when I was dating my husband he was allergic to animals.  I had a cat April.  I found her a good home when I got married.  Did I miss her??  Like crazy!  But could never imagine expecting my husband to go on medication and be miserable. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shiplesp. Show shiplesp's posts

Patricia McConnell has cited research that indicates that petting a dog or cat releases oxytocin - the nurturing neurotransmitter - which makes us feel better, more affiliative.  So if it does not help us physically (the jury is still out on that), pet ownership may help us socially.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpuppy. Show bigpuppy's posts

All I know is that my goofy Bosco does something to make me laugh out loud at least 5 times a day and that's invaluable to my mental health!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Big Puppy, I have been wanting to tell you for so long that i laugh just looking at Bosco's face.  He has the goofy, sweet, you just want to give him a hug, face.  Just love him...  : )

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpuppy. Show bigpuppy's posts

Thanks, Amber! I love that photo of when he was a puppy, too, because it so shows his personality - and probably why he's spoiled rotten and gets away with so much!

I always read your sign-off and think 'words to live by' ...