Pets that don't drink enough H20

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Pets that don't drink enough H20

My older dog never seems to drink enough water, now that he's s/p surgery for bladder stones and on a special diet, I wanted to share a trick I found...chicken broth!

Home-made plain no salt added (canned, cubes and boxed have too much sodium, msg, chemicals).  I just add about 1/4 cup to his prescription food and he gobbles it up.  He also likes chicken broth out of his water dish and laps it up. 

If I have to buy one chicken a week, I think it's cost effective, plus you can de-bone the chicken and mix a little in the food (allowed on his special diet).  

A little chicken broth in a cat's water dish may work too! 

It's important that pets (especially seniors) have adequate water/fluid intake.   

I forgot to add, after you've boiled the chicken for 3-4 hours (remove chicken) make sure you refrigerate the broth overnight and then skim off all the fat first! 

I freeze it in about five plastic containers so I'll have enough for about 7-10 days.      

PS: Call your vet and make sure it's okay for your dog.  They may not want him to have the chicken meat,  too much protein?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kat yubs. Show kat yubs's posts

Re: Pets that don't drink enough H20

Thanks for the tip.  My dog had two surgeries for bladder stones.  He doesn't drink enough water either.  My vets solution is for him to have wet food all the time.  Not good on his teeth.  I think I may try the chicken broth. Thanks again.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

I mush up the prescription food with a little chicken broth  and when he's finished I put about 1/2 cup of broth in the food dish and he laps it up! 
    I figure it's water except a chicken walked through it. 

Are you giving the potassium tabs too?  I found it on my own but when I told the vet he agreed it was a good idea.  Potassium Citrate Plus Cranberry Chewable Tablets,  helps prevent stones from coming back read the reviews.   http://www.amazon.com/Potassium-Citrate-Cranberry-Chewable-Tablets/dp/B002Q0FJ8A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335906681&sr=8-1       

Royal Canin has  prescription dry food (urinary so) you can soak in water, my dog seems to prefer it,  check with your vet first and make sure he's okay about the chicken broth,  I know chicken naturally has sodium.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

@kat yubs,  Now that he really likes the clear chicken broth I'm finding I can dilute it, 1/3 cup water 2/3 cup broth and he's still drinking it all up out of his empty food dish.   

I hope it works for your dog, good luck!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kat yubs. Show kat yubs's posts

Thanks so much dog-lady.  I will definitely try the Potassium Citrate Plus Cranberry Chewable Tablets.  Do not want my dog to go thru another surgery.  He does take Denamarin for his liver so I have to check with my vet to make sure he can take both with no side effects.

Thanks again.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Just spoke to the vet tech while making my dog's June appointment, she suggested freezing the chicken broth in ice cube trays and giving as snacks as another way to get more fluid into him.

Watered down homemade boiled chicken water with nothing added...never use canned, boxed, cubes for yourself or pets (too many chemicals, msg which goes under several different names, sodium etc).
    The only thing I add is one bay leaf.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

chicken broth is also good for dogs who have diarrhea. it keeps them hydrated and is easy to digest. Just always be sure to use low sodium broth.

Chicken broth ice cubes are a great summer treat as well!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Yeah, he's a high maintenance boy, I was looking over the paperwork when I got home and it mentioned some dental calcification...Please...TMI  he only has a few teeth left and he's a biter,  I can't brush them,  although I may give it another try.