1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Protective collars and anti lick strips

That's great, Pugs!  That one lick was probably driven by curiosity more than anything else, happily.  That's funny about the strips!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PugsandKisses. Show PugsandKisses's posts

How's your little guy doing, Pugs?
    Posted by kargiver

Hi Kar!  He's doing great; thanks for asking.  He only tried to lick his stitches once, but other than that he's left them alone completely. 

We also tried the anti-lick strips -- no good.  He ran around in circles trying to get it off.  LOL!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I think the elizabethan collars are just another source of income for Vets. 

We tend to leave the collars on when we're not home and take them off when we're around to watch them.  After a couple of days, if they aren't lick at the wound, we tend to crop the collars all together.

I have about 6 collars.

I remember when my dogs got neutered.  They walked a little funny for a few days, maybe lifting a hind leg when they were standing still.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

How's your little guy doing, Pugs?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PugsandKisses. Show PugsandKisses's posts

As you can tell, he's not thrilled with the collar at all:

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

glad to hear he's doing well! too funny about the lick strips. It seems dogs dislike bandages much more than stitches.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Gracie didn't bother her staples at all; we never had a collar on her, and she did fine the whole healing time.  Just keep an eye on him and don't go buy anything else unless it seems necessary.  My vet says they don't send people home with preventative measures because most pets leave their stitches/staples alone.

Try to keep him quiet, though, because he can do damage by playing and running around even though he feels OK to do that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Pugs,
    That photo is priceless. Too bad you had to pay for it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PugsandKisses. Show PugsandKisses's posts

Protective collars and anti lick strips

So, our little guy finally got neutered yesterday!  He did great; he took a short nap when he got home, but since then he's been back to his normal, crazy self!

We got him an inflatable protective collar instead of the hard plastic one, but he still hates it.  We took it off him yesterday when he got home, and he was much more comfortable and didn't go near his stitches.  I'm wondering if we're okay leaving the collar off him as long as he doesn't try to lick? 

Also, does anyone have any experience with Nurtured Pets anti-lick strips?  I bought a few and I'm thinking about trying them on his incision.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, take that thing off him!  LOL!!!  I'm sure he'll be fine.  Like I said, our doc said hardly any pets disturb their stitches.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Max didn't even need a collar because he wouldn't even go anywhere near his stitches.
    Since your DH is home to keep an eye on him, I'd say you can leave it off. But if he starts going for them, put the collar back on or try the strips.
    I've never used the strips, what are they?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PugsandKisses. Show PugsandKisses's posts

Pink, the anti-lick strips are like adhesive bandages that go right on a wound or incision site.  They have some solution on the outside that keeps the dog from biting or licking.  I just happened to stumble upon them online, but I don't know anyone who's used them.  http://www.nurturedpets.com/products/default.aspx

Reggie hasn't really gone near his stitches at all, so I don't really think we'll have to worry about him.  DH has to leave the house for a few hours today, so he did put the collar on him just to be safe.  We'll probably just monitor him for another day or two and if he doesn't go near the stitches we'll ditch the collar.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PugsandKisses. Show PugsandKisses's posts

Haha, that was just on the ride home yesterday.  We took it off him as soon as he got inside.  :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

LOL, oh that picture just says it all.

our vet didn't even give us a collar when Max was fixed. She told us to just keep an eye on him, and if he started to lick to get a collar. but he never touched them.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunshinemrs. Show sunshinemrs's posts

Well, he could always use it as a floatation device!
    Laughing

Sections
Shortcuts