Puppy Food Change

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bethanyrosevear. Show bethanyrosevear's posts

Puppy Food Change

When we brought Bella home from the breeder, she was already eating solid food.  The breeder had been giving her Science Diet for puppies.  We thought the smartest thing was to not change her diet since she was so young and that was what she was used too.  She tended to wolf down her food which didn't worry us.  The part that did bother us was that she was always eating her p00.
    After posting on here and asking around we were told to change her food to something with meat as the first ingredient and try holistic.  We have switched her to BLUE for puppies.  We did the transfer the right way by mixing it with her old food.  Now she is just on the BLUE.  The problem that we are having now is that she eats very little.  I have yet to see her wolf down like she did in the past.  She doesn't seem to be starving herself, but she just doesn't eat like she used too.  She also doesn't eat her p00 anymore.  Should I be worried that she doesn't eat as much as she used too?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Puppy Food Change

Science Diet is full of corn and is not a very good choice (and is what our breeder fed, too?!), and Blue is what we feed our dog so I'm obviously for that.

Gracie didn't like her food much, either, until at the suggestion of our trainer, we added a little water.  Problem solved.

HOWEVER, she should be wanting LESS of the Blue than she was of the SD because it's more nutritionally balanced.  She had to eat more of the SD to get the same nutrients because it was packed with corn as a filler.

GL!  I'm sure with a little moisture she'll eat it with glee.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bethanyrosevear. Show bethanyrosevear's posts

Thanks for the suggestion, but I thought soft food was bad for their teeth?  Also, while I have you, what are your thoughts or opinions on the raised food bowls?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bethanyrosevear. Show bethanyrosevear's posts

We started using the raised bowls because when they were on the floor she would put her whole face in the water bowl and her face and  ears kept getting wet.  She had a couple ear infections, and we thought maybe that was why.  The are only raised a couple inches though.  Is that bad?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Oh no,  it won't hurt her, if it works don't fix it!  Some dogs, especially certain small breeds tend to have lousy teeth no matter what you do,  but daily brushing will definitely help.     BTW: Shih Tzus and Poodles are prone to ear infections.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: Puppy Food Change:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the suggestion, but I thought soft food was bad for their teeth?  Also, while I have you, what are your thoughts or opinions on the raised food bowls?
    Posted by bethanyrosevear[/QUOTE]

This has been hotly argued here before, but fwiw, my vet said the soft food thing is a myth.  She likened it to our eating just granola bars and expecting to not have dental problems if we didn't clean our teeth.

HOWEVER, that aside, you don't have to SOFTEN it, just wet it with 1/3 of a cup of water and feed.  It won't soften right away.

And, I use dental wipes regularly on Gracie along with sporadic brushing.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bethanyrosevear. Show bethanyrosevear's posts

Surprisingly, her teeth are perfect, but we do have the toothbrush going.  Unfortunately, she isn't a big fan of it yet.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, and about raised bowls, I think it's great for their digestion.  We have one for Gracie, but it's even more important for her because she's a barrel chested dog and prone to gastric torsion (which I learned about here, thank you, friends!).  Your breed isn't prone to that disorder, but I still think it's good for their digestion; they swallow less air.  Your dog isn't that big - I'm guessing a couple of inches off the floor is fine.  Gracie is 75 lbs and very tall, and her bowl is only about 9 inches off the ground.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bethanyrosevear. Show bethanyrosevear's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Puppy Food Change : This has been hotly argued here before, but fwiw, my vet said the soft food thing is a myth.  She likened it to our eating just granola bars and expecting to not have dental problems if we didn't clean our teeth. HOWEVER, that aside, you don't have to SOFTEN it, just wet it with 1/3 of a cup of water and feed.  It won't soften right away.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

That makes sense.  I assume that is in the hopes that she eats it before it turns too soggy?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yup.  She wolfs it down with glee.  Before we wet it, though, she literally starved herself 'til about 7:00 at night.  I thought we had the one freak lab who hated food.  Nope, just totally bone dry food. LOL

Oh, and if the water is a bit warm, it makes the food smell more so I think she likes it even better.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bethanyrosevear. Show bethanyrosevear's posts

On a side note, I can not tell you all how much this forum has kept my sanity!!!  Thank you do much to everybody who is always there to help me out, I REALLY appreciate it!  Smile

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

This forum saved me, too - I was a total basket case when we brought Gracie home.  Too bad you can't go back and see the thread on Gracie's housebreaking and crate training, but BDC deleted everything that old when they moved "Pets" section.  I was a nervous wreck! 

Glad to help!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Amber has never had hard food. Hated it from the beginning.  Ok, I'm ready for the slings and arrows, but she eats Alpo and has been for 13 years.  I have been told by her vet she has the best teeth for a Shih Tzu since they are prone to bad teeth.  She gets 2 small milk bones a day and once a month a regular bone with marrow from the supermarket.  

[QUOTE]Thanks for the suggestion, but I thought soft food was bad for their teeth?  Also, while I have you, what are your thoughts or opinions on the raised food bowls?
    Posted by bethanyrosevear[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

If you think the raised bowls will help, go for it. No right or wrong. Amber has had only 3 ear infections in her life.  The vet told me the regular grooming (every 5 weeks) helps a lot and my groomer does a great job on her ears.  Do what works for you and Bethany.  Every dog is different.  Enjoy, you will get many good years with that cutie : )

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I have never brushed Ambers teeth, ever.  I love Bethanys puppy cut!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

The dental problems/decay don't show up till they are 2-4 years old, if you only need a cleaning every 5 years you are doing well.

I found the wipes a waste of money, the tooth brush scrubbing, even for 2 minutes a day,  is the most effective way to prevent problems.  You want to get the back/ side lower and upper areas, that's where the tartar builds up.

Alpo is a Purina product,  I've never had a problem with Purina, that's my standby when I have to get dog food from the market.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Thanks Robin, I was feeling like a bad mom : )  But bared my soul and even confessed I never brushed her teeth!  LOL!  But I have been blessed with 13 years so not going to change anything now.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ambergirl, your experience with wet food from day one and Amber's great teeth supports my vet's assertion that there's no correlation to wet vs. dry food and oral health.  If your dog is happy and healthy on Alpo after 13 years, why would we sling arrows?!  :)

I love our wipes - they work great for us, I get a lot of food particles off with them, and Gracie lets me get to all the surfaces of her teeth.  With the brush, it's harder for me to get everywhere because she tries to chew it.

But, if Amber's teeth are in good shape, why worry, and like you say, why change, now?  I think brushing dogs' teeth are a relatively new practice, and I know our grandparents had dogs that lived happy, healthy, long lives.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Thank Kar : )  You are correct in the generations.  When I was a kid, a dog never seen a vet, never seen a leash.  Was just let out to roam and usually get hit by a car.  Cats were never indoor cats either, so I thought I was doing better. I remember her first vet told me to only feed her Eukanuba (sic?) and she wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole!  I was beside myself.  I can't tell you how many brands I tried and Alpo was the one she went to town on.  So Alpo stayed : ) But you guys are far more knowledgeable, and if I ever get another dog, this is all so valuable.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

How interesting Robin...  I tried all the fancy food and honestly Alpo was last on my list but she loves it.  And my 2 cats will only eat Friskies and they def have their favorites.  As far as hard food for them, I get whatever is on sale and they are fine with that.  No fancy food for any of my pets but lots of love : )

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

The guy in my town that takes care of feral cats told me they won't go near Eukanuba or Iams.  He told me if you want to donate food just bring Purina dry food, they want nothing to do with fancy pet food, won't touch it. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Don't feel bad about not feeding those "fancy" foods, Ambergirl - their second ingredient is corn meal, a cheap filler that contributes no nutritional value other than calories.  It's better than the ones that have corn listed first, but your dear dog didn't miss a thing by not being fed Euk or IAMS.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

You are so nice Kar.  When I started getting educated about corn meal on these boards I felt bad and considered switching her to the Blue Buffalo, but being a Shih Tzu, she can be very stubborn. I could just picture her looking at me with her one good eye saying "really mom?? really??"  and give me her famous sidelong glance and walk away : ) But I would def have done things differently if I had known. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

At her age and good health, I wouldn't worry about it a bit.  She's none the worse for her and your happiness with the Alpo.  We all do the best we can within our means with the information we have at the time - there's NO shame in that, ever.  And, clearly, she's doing great so no harm done whatsoever!