Puppy Food Change

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Re: Puppy Food Change

If she's made it to 13 in good health you must be doing something right :)

When I was looking for a good food that would work for both my dogs (big puppy and small adult) I used this website a lot as a resource:  http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

I feed them Taste of the Wild dry food.  They love all the flavors and I love the variety of different meat and fish formulas they offer.  I usually alternate them to a different flavor each month.  I also have to admit I feed them healthy human food every day as well so they probably end up eating 75% dog food / 25% human food.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think Taste of the Wild is really good food, too.  It's a great, no-corn, no-filler choice.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

I feed Taste of the Wild on the breeder's recommendation and the puppy loves it.  He also gets 1 can of wet food a day that I mix a puppy supliment in with.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

yes, I agree with Kar that a little water on the food should help make it more palatable. I've heard that dogs care more about how food smells than how it tastes, and making it wet can release a lot of the aromas.
    Luckily, Max has never been picky. this weekend he enjoyed a whole slide of orange, to my Aunt's amazement.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bethanyrosevear. Show bethanyrosevear's posts

In Response to Re: Puppy Food Change:
    [QUOTE]Thank Kar : )  You are correct in the generations.  When I was a kid, a dog never seen a vet, never seen a leash.  Was just let out to roam and usually get hit by a car.  Cats were never indoor cats either, so I thought I was doing better. I remember her first vet told me to only feed her Eukanuba (sic?) and she wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole!  I was beside myself.  I can't tell you how many brands I tried and Alpo was the one she went to town on.  So Alpo stayed : ) But you guys are far more knowledgeable, and if I ever get another dog, this is all so valuable.
    Posted by ambergirl[/QUOTE]

It's funny you say that Amber, I have thought it a lot too, we had a dog and a cat, and hardly ever saw them because they were outside roaming around.  I can honestly say that I dont remember my parents EVER taking them to the vet, and a groomer was unheard of or only for "rich' people, and they lived forever!!! Now, I can't imagine not taking Bella to the groomer religiously or the vet or giving her the heart worm meds. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bethanyrosevear. Show bethanyrosevear's posts

I am happy to report that I added just a tad of water to Bella's food, and she ate more this weekend than she has in a week.  She still doesn't wolf it down like she did the science diet, but she ate a little here and there, so I am SOOOOO happy that is worked.  THANK YOU TO EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I agree Bethany : )  That is why I thought I was doing so much better than previous generations.  Each one gets smarter and better.  Lucky dogs!  And I just love the picture of the puppy cut Bethany has.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

FANTASTIC, Bethany!!!  So happy it worked for you and Bella like it did for us and Gracie.  

I don't know how I would have managed if it hadn't been for the trainer we found for Gracie's puppy kindergarten who told us about this.  We had kenneled Gracie for the first time with her, and when we picked her up she had eaten "just fine" to my astonishment.  That's when she told me about the water trick.

Thanks for the update!!!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bethanyrosevear. Show bethanyrosevear's posts

[QUOTE]I agree Bethany : )  That is why I thought I was doing so much better than previous generations.  Each one gets smarter and better.  Lucky dogs!  And I just love the picture of the puppy cut Bethany has.

Thanks, we think Bella is awefully cute too, but we are kind of prtial  :]  I actually take her to PetCo to be groomed and she loves it.  She sees the same groomer every time and they love her there!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Oh, I thought her name was Bethany Rose!  Ha!  I will be sure to call her Bella : )
    I love Amber's groomer too and don't they look and smell so good.  Amber got groomed this past Saturday and still smells nice. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Be careful about trying different "additives" to get the dog to eat.  A little water, then a little chicken stock, then maybe a little sprinkle of cheese, etc.  It can teach them that if they turned their nose up to their food bowl, they'll get something else.  I have one dog that is a little manipulator when it comes to food - he's passive aggressive.  He has health issues and if he doesn't eat, it causes all kinds of problems, so we try and try to get him to eat.  He's a picky eater and we've played into it and made it worse.

My other dog gets the 15 minute rule.  15 minutes and the bowl is taken away.  He'll eat when he's hungry.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Gracie really did eat when she was starving, it's true, but she was waiting until she literally had to choose between eating that day at all and going to bed hungry.  She'd reluctantly choke down all her food for the day right before she went to bed.  It messed up her digestive system, her sleep, everything.  Adding a little water got her to eat it.  I never had to ratchet up the anti.  She just plain hated it dry and 15 minutes?  No, she went the entire day without eating, and it was sitting there all day, too.  I'd have been picking it up and putting it down for 12 hours.  As soon as we put a little water on it, she started eating 1/2 her food in the morning and the rest in the afternoon like she should.

I believe you when you say there are passive aggressive dogs trying to scam better and better eats this way, but Gracie wasn't.  She is a scammer, though, pretending to be hungry when she isn't.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bethanyrosevear. Show bethanyrosevear's posts

[QUOTE]Oh, I thought her name was Bethany Rose!  Ha!  I will be sure to call her Bella : ) I love Amber's groomer too and don't they look and smell so good.  Amber got groomed this past Saturday and still smells nice. 

HA! That's ok, my name is Bethany and my baby's name is Bella Ann.  I wondered if you were confused, but that is no big deal