1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Questions about adopting a dog

Indeed, the articles do contain good info, but a first time puppy buyer can't discern what parts are good to know (i.e., working breeds need more stimulation and exercise every day) and what should be dismissed (i.e., all puppies should be housebroken and chewtoy trained by 8 weeks of age - that's the extreme earliest a puppy should even be brought home so...?).  

If a person needs the articles because they've never had a puppy before, we have to assume he/she is ignorant of which parts are good guidelines worth following and which are not so good or even detrimental.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Lots of people have owned dogs without having read instruction manuals or hiring trainers and have done just fine!  
    It's either as complicated or as simple as you want to make it! 
    Whatever works.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You're the one posting the articles.  I'm just saying if they aren't 100% accurate a new puppy owner isn't going to know what in them to go by and what in them is misinformation.  The only ones who know what's right and wrong in them are those who don't need articles in the first place, ironically.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Can I please interject... BOTH of you are correct. I went by the seat of my pants with Amber but Also goggled. Good Lord.. I grew up in the generation of dogs were left outside and never taken to a vet. Lost 3 dogs to getting hit by cars by chasing them. Normal back then. Happy to see attitudes have changed and dogs are true family members. Having said that... I think people are over the top with their dogs. Doggy day care, expensive food and other foolishness. It is a dog. Does not give a rats a*ss about daycare or anything else. Expensive dog food is a joke and companies are making millions off "guilting" new dog owners. YOUR DOG NEEDS FAT AND NASTY SMELLING FOOD. They are not people, so please stop feeding them like they are your children. Please stop the dog and pony show. They don't need coats or mittens. God gave them coats for a reason. I am venting obviously.. but wanted to say this forever.. Now that Amber is gone I am ok to do that. She lived on Alpo, Pupperoni sticks, Slim Jims, table food and best of all pizza crust. No bows on her ears. No coats. Just a dog. If changing her diet would have given her another year, would I do it? H*ll NO! She died happy at 14. We are now doing that with the fat police and our kids. Another board for that. Thanks for listening. Sure you won't agree but had to say this. I hope you all respect my opinion as I do yours.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I just don't want new puppy owners to take extra heed of anything in an article just because someone in Pets posted it.  It isn't necessarily all that great.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I agree! People stop reading all that crap on the internet. It is no different than having a baby. Each one is different so parenting is not the same with each child. Same with a dog. You love and train it. That freaking simple. Listen to your vet and do dog training if necessary. Am I really the only one who thinks all of this is ridiculous?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Not meaning to offend any posters.. talking about the subject..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

@Amber,  I agree,  I know how you feel, I lost a dog to Lyme disease at the age of 12.  She was the sweetest dog and had no problems except for the last two years of her life.  Keep busy and take care of yourself, I dropped 5 pounds the week after and came down with flu like symptoms,etc.  Time does help.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Thank you DL.. I was not dismissing anyone's opinions honestly. Just wanted to have mine heard.. You and Kar BOTH have valid points and bottom line is you both love animals as I do. I just do it the old fashioned way : ) I am sorry for your loss too.. not easy at all to lose a pet. Grateful for my boys..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

@Amber, Oh I know, but I was eating and I had just bought new jeans and they were falling off me and I didn't feel well!  Grief can be nasty!   I agree about the dog food, I have finally come around to going with one of the better brands (Natural Balance Dick Van Patten is my current favorite) for a dry food staple but I still add a little bit of table scraps or Alpo, it looks boring to me otherwise! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FaolanofEssex. Show FaolanofEssex's posts

Siena should really reconsider if she lives a lifestyle for a dog, especially where she shares a wall with neighbors. You can't just look at the 8-9 hours a day the dog will be alone( and I happen to think that is a long time to leave a dog alone). You have to consider what happens after work hours also. Are you they type that is out often at night? What about weekends? Are you willing to take your dog with you or alter your weekend schedule around his needs? All of this is important because 1) Dogs are pack animals and the ideal situation for them is with their "pack". and 2) I doubt your neighbors want to be listening to your dog barking. I live in a townhouse also, and have a neighbor who leaves her dog home alone all day and frequently goes out at night and on the weekends. Since I work a varied schedule which includes both days and nights, I don't appreciate listening to her dog bark at all hours of the day and night.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm not making ANY point or agreeing with or disagreeing with anyone.  The only point I'm trying apparently in vain to make is that when we post articles to new puppy owners who have never owned a dog we are endorsing everything in those articles unless we specify otherwise, and we have to be careful about doing that.

ETA:  Welcome FE. :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Well DL wouldn't mind losing weight : ) I am sure I posted how Amber wouldn't eat the Eukanuba (sic) or other expensive food. I bought Alpo on a whim and it was love at first sight : ) But I do believe the pressure on new dog owners are great. Wish we paid so much attention to our children and elderly. Both which are dear to my heart. I am not sleeping. : ( How is Ache?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I am pretty sure that is what I was saying Kar : ) Anything off the internet is iffy. Please people .. Just be a dog owner.. love them, take them to the vet and training if necessary. Not rocket science.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Ok, another misconception.. it depends on the breed of dog if they can be left alone. What kind of dog does your neighbor have? I had a Shih Tzu that was crate trained until she could have the run of my house. She NEVER had an accident. She had a schedule and daily routine. My daughter wanted a Lab but I had enough sense to know with my work schedule that was not the dog for us. No Doggy Day Care. Just good training. I put pee pads down for her the last year and she never used them.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ambergirl, with all due respect, I'm saying something completely different than "don't believe everything you read on the internet."   

I'm saying that posting a specific link is an endorsement of that particular article over the millions of articles someone could randomly google.  If there's iffy stuff in an article we experienced dog owners choose to post, we have a responsibility to point those iffy parts out.  That's my only point, not that everything on the internet is suspect - that goes without saying, actually.  If someone goes out of their way to post an article here they are implying it's all good and not suspect.  They've read it and found it to be good, reliable information.  And, dog-lady can't say that given she doesn't believe that 8 week old puppies should be even taken from their mothers yet let alone housebroken and chewtoy trained at that age.

ETA:  Everyone in BDC forums is capable of googling and deciding if they want to google a subject.  We shouldn't post articles unless they are 100% something we'd say ourselves.  And, if they aren't but we still find value in linking to them here, we need to be careful to point out the portions that are suspect in our opinion.

Posting a link to an article is an endorsement; otherwise, why bother posting it?  Everyone knows how to google, after all.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Please , you endorse expensive supplements etc.
    I never say anything about that because I assume readers will check with their vet first. 
    There are no guarantees with anything in life! 
    Yes, I believe the articles I post are helpful! 
    I wouldn't post them if I didn't think so!    

ETA: I believe my experience and knowledge give me the ability to tell the difference between a junk article and the real deal, in my opinion!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Get what you are saying Kar. Just really sad people need to be told that but yes they need to. I just wanted to vent about the craziness I see on the pet threads.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Oh Lordy.. I'm sorry I posted.. this was about me and my thoughts. Can we respect that please? I am just venting missing Amber.. did not want this response..

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

This discussion will substitute fine : ) For real though.. I appreciate ALL thoughts.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

In Response to Re: Questions about adopting a dog:
    Siena should really reconsider if she lives a lifestyle for a dog, especially where she shares a wall with neighbors. You can't just look at the 8-9 hours a day the dog will be alone( and I happen to think that is a long time to leave a dog alone). You have to consider what happens after work hours also. Are you they type that is out often at night? What about weekends? Are you willing to take your dog with you or alter your weekend schedule around his needs? All of this is important because 1) Dogs are pack animals and the ideal situation for them is with their "pack". and 2) I doubt your neighbors want to be listening to your dog barking. I live in a townhouse also, and have a neighbor who leaves her dog home alone all day and frequently goes out at night and on the weekends. Since I work a varied schedule which includes both days and nights, I don't appreciate listening to her dog bark at all hours of the day and night.
    Posted by FaolanofEssex

If your dog can be trained (and it varies by breed and personality) having an active social life and a dog can be fine. My dog is home for 8~ a day, and we do go out at night sometimes, and he does not bark when we're not home. Yes, i do know this for a fact because most of our neighbors tell us they didn't know we had a dog in our apartment.

He's a chihuahua. they are lazy dogs who are quite content to sleep as long as they get 3-4 walks a day. Hubby walks him in the morning and when he gets home from work, and I walk him before I go to bed. If we go out at night, one walk might be a littler later than usual, but he deals just fine. Many times he's able to come with us if we're visiting friends and family. Yes, every once in a while plans get crazy and he'll get antsy with us if there are late nights for a week, but we make it up to him with a weekend trip to the arboretum or something. Either that, or we'll have people come to visit us, and then he's in hog heaven with a new lap to sit on and loads of attention.

It wasn't easy. In the beginning there were accidents a plenty and we had to be very strict since toy breeds are so willful. The first two years were very hard but now, he's a dream.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: Questions about adopting a dog:
    Please , you endorse expensive supplements etc. I never say anything about that because I assume readers will check with their vet first.  There are no guarantees with anything in life!  Yes, I believe the articles I post are helpful!  I wouldn't post them if I didn't think so!    ETA: I believe my background and experience give me the ability to tell the difference between a junk article and the real deal, in my opinion!
    Posted by dog-lady

I'm not saying we can't endorse things.  I DO endorse supplements and all sorts of advice.  Posting an article endorses everything in it, by your posting the link, and if you choose to do that, you need to qualify the parts that you don't agree with or it's not reflective of what you want to put across.  Don't post an article, thereby endorsing it as A-OK if there are things in it YOU don't agree with YOURSELF and then pass the buck by saying "reader beware."

Everything I endorse I agree with entirely unless I specify otherwise because I think that's the only responsible thing to do.  I guess you disagree.  Not surprising.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

dog-lady, I'm not even disagreeing with your articles, per se, I'm pointing out that YOU don't agree with them.  Unless, of course, you now believe that all 8 week old puppies should be housebroken and chewtoy trained.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Hi pink. Glad Max is well. I'm done with this thread. Not one comment on what I posted. Just an ongoing argument between other posters.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ambergirl, dog ownership can get wildly out of control, I agree.  

I'm arguing with dog-lady because I think it's important to get across that when we post links we either should agree with everything in them OR qualify them by disputing outright what we don't.  I know she posted an article she doesn't entirely agree with (from earlier discussions) but didn't qualify it so people would know she disagrees with a portion of it herself.  I cannot believe it's even an argument, frankly. 

Sections
Shortcuts