1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukeseri58. Show lukeseri58's posts

Rimadyl - non-steriodal anti inflamtory for dogs

ok - so emma (going to be 3 in november) was prescribed a 7 day stint of rimadyl.  She has been a little less active, was limping on friday morning and seems to want to stretch her hips a lot -- went to the vet on friday evening and was told she has hip problems - didn't do an xray but said i could if i wanted to but sedation required and it was too late to do it that evening - said he would prescribe same thing if he knew exactly what was wrong - i.e. displasia (sp?), one a little off, etc. - - he did a lot of feeling and touching around her legs and hips and couldn't find anything dislocated or broken -- so plan of action was rimadyl for 7 days and then dasaquen for life -- anyway, anyone have any war stories on rimadyl -- you know i hate meds but i'm trying to do this so she isn't in pain for a week - but there are all sorts of horror stories on line

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Re: Rimadyl - non-steriodal anti inflamtory for dogs

I prefer Bufferin [Buffered Aspirin] 1  325mg tablet for a 40 pound dog per day, for occasional limping [suggested by my vet].  Rimadyl is stronger, but has more potential side effects,   although,   sometimes given in a low dose for mild/moderate pain with good effect.    

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Sorry to hear emma is hurting.

My dog had a 3 day course of Rim after neuter, followed by a significant gastro episode starting on the third day - vomitting for almost 48 hours, needed subQ fluids for dehydration, etc.  They never directly linked the two, but the timing was too close for comfort for me, and I was watching him like a hawk due to being post-op, so I don't think he ate anythign he should have.  On the other hand, he was a small puppy (5 months, maybe 13 or 15 pounds), so it could have just been too much for his system.

I'd ask for somethign else if he needed pain meds again.  Keep an eye on her for any signs.  Good luck to you both!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

So sorry, lukes, for you and Emma.  And, yes, I have R horror story, unfortunately.  Gracie gets the worst diarrhea I've ever seen on it.  If you put a target 5 feet behind her, I bet her p00 could hit the bullseye.  

However, knowing this from an earlier experience (her spaying, I think), the surgeon put her on something else to control pain from her recent TPLO surgery that she didn't have any adverse reaction to at all (other than probably some sleepiness, not sure that was the cause of all the sleeping - she still sleeps a lot as she heals and she's not on it anymore).  Let me see if I can find the name.

ETA:  Here it is, Previcox (227 mg for 75 lb dog), 1 pill per day for the first week post-surgery.

Every dog is different, though, so if Emma tries the Rimadyl, just don't leave her alone for long stints at a time before you know how it affects her.  For all we know, the Previcox could do something to Emma that it doesn't do to Gracie.  Every medication is really a crp shoot with respect to both effacy and side effects.  GL!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

My mom's corgi was prescribed Rimadyl for the long term, and my mom sought a hollistic alternative because of the side effects, namely liver damage. But if it's short-term, it shouldn't have any long-lasting effects. Just keep an eye out for other, more immediate, side effects, like the ones Kar described.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orangina. Show Orangina's posts

so plan of action was rimadyl for 7 days and then dasaquen for life -- anyway, anyone have any war stories on rimadyl -- you know i hate meds but i'm trying to do this so she isn't in pain for a week - but there are all sorts of horror stories on line

For some dogs, Rimadyl is a life saver.  Our previous dog took it without any problems for the last 5 years of his life.  We had his liver enzymes checked often just in case.  What made a HUGE difference for him overall was Coastside Bio Resources sea jerky.  He started stealing food off the counters again :)  We used the sea jerky as a supplement and it helped us keep his Rimadyl dose to half what he would have taken otherwise.  Sea Jerky from this place is made from sea cucumbers and it smells like low tide.  Our dog loved it, though.  For some reason they think the glucosamine/chondroitin is more available from the jerky than from pills.  We definitely saw a difference when we switched from pills to this stuff.  I don't work there, I just love the product and how many more years it gave us with our big lug.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

In Response to Re: Rimadyl - non-steriodal anti inflamtory for dogs:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rimadyl - non-steriodal anti inflamtory for dogs : Coastside Bio Resources sea jerky Posted by Orangina[/QUOTE] Interesting.  Thanks for the information.  I've always thought of Rimadyl as a medication used for pain management for older dogs suffering with arthritis,  but I guess they give it in lower doses for acute management.   From what I've read,  it's best to give them the lowest dose possible,  to minimize the risk of side effects but still get pain relief.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukeseri58. Show lukeseri58's posts

orangina, thanks -- i'll have to order some -- i wonder if you can od on glucosamine

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hey, lukes, how is Emma?  

We give Gracie these glucosamine, msm, chondroitin tabs, but she doesn't like them.  She likes them marginally better than the powder which ruins her food taste wise for her.  Springtime Joint Tabs 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukeseri58. Show lukeseri58's posts

emma is ok - still can tell she is sore -- she has a hard time when she gets up from lying down - but once up she wants to run, jump, etc. -- rimadyl is done and i have her on two tablets a day of dasuquin -- i have to hide it in hamburger to get her to eat it - i've been told it takes about 6-8 weeks for the dog to show improvement - i just hate to see her in pain at such a young age -- and she is a mutt so obviously she got some bad hips from one of her breeds - my guess lab, boxer and pit -- anyway, someone else told me today to give her on buffered asprin a day as well - so i'll ask my vet about that and go from there

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

So sorry Emma is struggling with pain and you with the best way to help her, and I hope it resolves after the current inflammation is taken care of.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jharvey31. Show jharvey31's posts

My dog had this for after her spay last year. She didn't really need it too much so she only took a few so we didn't have any bad effects.
    lukeseri58 did they do a blood test to check for lyme disease ? My other dog was limping one day (a few years ago) I thought he had run around too crazy after his ball and sprained something (he did often) so I gave him the buffered asprin and off to bed we went. Well when we woke up I couldnt' even touch him with him yelping and he couldn't walk So we went to the vet and he had lyme disease I had never even seen a tick on him at all, but once he started his meds for it he started to feel 100% better. Lyme disease needs to be handled right away or it can attack the organs. You may want to see if you can get a blood test to rule it out first just so it doesn't go to long since they said nothing was dislocated or anything.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukeseri58. Show lukeseri58's posts

jharvey, yes emma has lyme - she has had it for year -- i was testing her every 6 mnths since i don't use frontline or the like - in june last year, she came back positive - gave her a month of antibiotics - then tested again 3 months later - clean - and again three months later - clean - tested again in april and she came back with levels high enough to treat -- she had just gotten over a month long treatment of antibiotics for it -- then a month later she seemed sore - so i actually brought her in to ask them to redo the c6 test -- he said that it wouldn't be that after a month of antibiotics -- i still think i'm going to bring her in again and have them do that test again cause she doesn't seem to be getting better - and i don't mind paying the $80 for it