Salmon Oil - worth the stentch and the $$

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Re: Salmon Oil - worth the stentch and the $$

Wow, anything that would help Penny stop shedding would be worth the $ for sure.  How much do you give Gracie?  Do you just drizzle it on kibble?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hey, Winter.  The oil has a weight/# of pumps chart so you don't have to guess how much to give (Gracie is 80 lbs and gets 4 pumps).  It recommends giving it with or directly after a meal to prevent digestive upset, so I just squirt it on her food and then add the water I always put on it.  (I put water on because she likes the texture of the dry food better that way, and I up the water in winter to combat winter dehydration.)

I can't say for sure that all dogs would stop shedding - it must vary by breed - but, it sure did work for Gracie.  It would be worth one bottle to see, anyway.  It only took 3 days to notice a big difference so you wouldn't need to buy a lot to find out.

I hope it helps Penny just as much!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Had you tried other stuff before the salmon oil?  I add olive oil to my dog's food and it seems to work OK.

I can see adding salmon oil, or any fish oil, for the omega-3s.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

No, I hadn't thought of trying anything else.  I have tons of organic olive oil from TJs.  Do they like it?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Jax used to get olive oil before we switched him to salmon based food and it did help his dry skin,  He used to be really really flakey, then with the olive oil went to just occasionally flakey.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good to know, thanks!  After this bottle is gone, I'll switch to OO, and see if the results remain the same for Gracie.  It will save us a bundle.  YAY!  Love you guys!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Too bad we couldn't let you know sooner.  =(  Would have saved you some $$ and not stunk up your puppy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I know, I should have asked first.  Oh, well, it's a drop (of oil) in the annual bucket.  I had no idea having a dog was so expensive!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpuppy. Show bigpuppy's posts

Does the olive oil help with the shedding or just the dry skin? I swear Bosco should be bald by now with as much as that dog sheds.

Kar - does the salmon oil just smell by itself or does it manifest itself in other ways? Bosco has an iron stomach so I'm not worried about it upsetting him, but I've found certain things give him terrible gas (bacon or anything bacon flavored will never again pass his lips!) and it's a little cold these days to be opening windows!

I'll try the olive oil and if that doesn't slow down the shedding, the salmon oil would be well worth it to me.

Thanks. This forum is invaluable for these tips!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Sounds like I'll be giving olive oil a try first.  Kar - let us know if you notice much of a difference between the salmon oil and olive oil.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BreedTrust. Show BreedTrust's posts

I've never heard of using olive oil for dogs so you might want to check with your vet about that before continuing it over a long-term.  Omega 3 (and 6) Fish oils are what I've always heard are good for dogs (and people). Unfortunately, they vary in quality widely and can contain too much mercury and pcb's so it's best to find ones that have been tested by an independent lab. 

A strong odor can be an indication of compromised quality and freshness according to a website I subscribe to that tests these products, http://www.consumerlab.com.  According to them, "The freshness of the oil is also an important consideration because rancid oils have an unpleasant taste, odor, and can cause gastrointestinal side effects. They may also not be as effective due to degradation. In addition, rancid fat contains chemicals called peroxides and aldehydes that can damage cells and may even encourage cholesterol to clog arteries."

They don't test as many pet products as people products, but the only fish oil product for pets that passed their quality tests was Shiny Coat for Dogs and Cats distributed by Liquid Solutions.  

FYI: the products that did NOT pass their tests include 1-800-PetMeds Super Omega 3 for Cats and Dogs, GreenDog Naturals Omega Glo-Coat 3-6-9  by Rainbow Light, GreenDog Naturals Omega Glo-Coat 3-6-9  by The Garmon Corp