Senior Pet Care Tips?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Senior Pet Care Tips?

Instead of a triple decker, a thick memory foam bed might be more comfortable, but it is a huge investment as far as pet beds go so I cannot fairly offer it as a solution for everyone.

Warmth is good for arthritic dogs; they sell electric beds (for non chewers, of course).

MSM, chondroitin, and glucosamine is a good combo for joints.

CoQ10 does the same for older dogs as it does for humans; among other things, it keeps brain function sharp and helps prevent cancer.

Switch to a senior formula, grain free food or at least cut back a bit on feeding so your less active, slower metabolism dog doesn't get fat, putting extra stress on ailing joints.

Learn Dog Massage.  I haven't done it before or read this book, but it gets good reviews and would be a place I'd start if Gracie were elderly.
    Canine Massage on Amazon

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BreedTrust. Show BreedTrust's posts

Thanks for all the great tips - love the idea of homeopathic remedies from robingirl and massage from kargiver.  I'm going to order the massage book on Amazon and may even get one for my friend who has a dog just diagnosed with cancer.  

I also never considered memory foam bedding for him.  I looked into foam bedding for myself a few years ago when I was replacing my mattress.  I decided against it at the time because I read about a lot of chemicals used to make them (I think formaldehyde was one?).  I've seen commercials for chemical free ones for people recently so I assume they're doing the same for dogs as well.  I'll research it further.  It's worth the investment if it helps him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In my opinion, I don't think the harm that can come from the memory foam for 2 - 3 years of use would outweigh the benefit of having his hips and spine cradled in perfect support and temperature.  Maybe I wouldn't start a puppy out on one and use it for 13 years.  But, the cause of death for an already older dog using a memory foam bed won't be the bed, it will be old age.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

There can be chemicals in memory foam.  It depends on the manufactor.  Reguardless, when you get your new memory foam item home (whether for you or the dog), you want to smoosh it all over (if its cold from being in the car wait untill its room temperature, you can break memory foam if its too cold!).  If its something small, like a pillow or a dog bed just roll it up tight a couple times, then let it air out for a couple hours before using it.  The chemicals get trapped in the air pockets of the foam and by rolling the item or otherwise smooshing it you release them.  In the non-chemical atmosphere of your home it'll disperse quickly and be fine from then on. 

Do NOT use a heated dog bed with a memory foam pad. Memory foam is sensitive to heat and cold and how soft or hard it is varies with temperature.  Some of the newer foams used for human beds are less sensitive to temperature change but I don't know if the technology has made it to the animal side yet.

(BTW I have a memory foam bed for me and I adore it, worth every penny, if you're looking for one for yourself consider the Simmons brand, as their foam is made with less chemicals and is less sensitive to temperature change.)

You can also buy heated dog beds, or (if you're crafty) the heated pads to put inside dog beds, Amazon carries them and they come in a variety of sizes.  If his problem is truly arthritus heat will do wonders for him!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DiCrane. Show DiCrane's posts

I have a Bernese Mtn. Dog who has had hip dysplasia from a young age.  We use Springtime Inc.'s Joint Health Chewables and the results have been incredible. She does have an occasional limp when she overdoes it in the snow or on the beach with her doggie friends, but otherwise, the pills do the trick. In fact, I was so overjoyed with the results that I wrote them and sent some pics. They put my letter & pics on their website and in their catalog. 

I have recommended this product to other friends with aging dogs too and they have all done well.  They're made of high grade glucosamine HCL, MSM, and chondroitin amongst other things.  If you want to check them out their website is www.springtimeinc.com. I know I sound like I work for the company, but I promise that I do not. There are lots of great testimonials on their website from pet owners which is what prompted me to try them. Good luck!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BreedTrust. Show BreedTrust's posts

In Response to Re: Senior Pet Care Tips?:
    [QUOTE]I have a Bernese Mtn. Dog who has had hip dysplasia from a young age.  We use Springtime Inc.'s Joint Health Chewables and the results have been incredible. 
    Posted by DiCrane[/QUOTE]

You are the second person that has mentioned this company to me and they raved about their joint supplements just as much as you did.  Thanks for reminding me about them and especially for providing the link.  I am definitely going to try it out.  They should hire you - you're a great evangelist for them!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DiCrane. Show DiCrane's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Senior Pet Care Tips? : You are the second person that has mentioned this company to me and they raved about their joint supplements just as much as you did.  Thanks for reminding me about them and especially for providing the link.  I am definitely going to try it out.  They should hire you - you're a great evangelist for them!
    Posted by BreedTrust[/QUOTE]

Good luck! It certainly can't hurt to give them a try.   They won't work overnight but give them a few weeks to kick in.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babsline. Show Babsline's posts

My Mickey has Arthritis for the past several years...and now he refuses to go out some mornings when the legs and joints are not working well. Had a friend make a little ‘Ramp’, which I covered w/Commercial carpet, that I place just outside so he no longer has to jump down…….but can walk down and come up his little ramp! 

I decided that since Humans have ramps so why should our canine friends not have them as well? Mickey now sits and waits for me to put the ramp down before going out…….He seems to love it! Since I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, I know he appreciates it!

Mickey is a beautiful mix of Longhaired Dachshund and Pomeranian and his little short legs have been a problem in the past year or two  when attempting to jump.  Mickey will be 15 years old in May, 2011!
    Smile

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good thinking!  Nice a friend made a ramp - the ones they sell for dogs are inordinately expensive.  What a racket!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Max gets a treat with glucosamine and chondroitin (sp?) every day. I started that when he was 3 because that's when the vet mentioned he had mild patellar luxation. He also gets an Omega-3 fish oil vitamin once a day.
    I think as long as you feed them a good quality food, watch their weight, and give them some supplements for any breed-specific health problems, that's the best thing for them.

I'm also a believer in fresh veggies whenever possible. I've had rabbits and guinea pigs live well into their teens thanks to a few fruit and veggie scraps every day. When I'm chopping stuiff for dinner, I usually let Max have some of the odds and ends (no onions or garlic, of course!). He'll eat almost anything, but he loves the bits of asparagus, broccoli, spinach and carrots.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]I have a Bernese Mtn. Dog who has had hip dysplasia from a young age.  We use Springtime Inc.'s Joint Health Chewables and the results have been incredible. She does have an occasional limp when she overdoes it in the snow or on the beach with her doggie friends, but otherwise, the pills do the trick. In fact, I was so overjoyed with the results that I wrote them and sent some pics. They put my letter & pics on their website and in their catalog.  I have recommended this product to other friends with aging dogs too and they have all done well.  They're made of high grade glucosamine HCL, MSM, and chondroitin amongst other things.  If you want to check them out their website is www.springtimeinc.com. I know I sound like I work for the company, but I promise that I do not. There are lots of great testimonials on their website from pet owners which is what prompted me to try them. Good luck!!
    Posted by DiCrane[/QUOTE]

Gracie gets stiff after long walks in the winter, and on your recommendation I just ordered a pound of their joint formula.  I also ordered 400 softgels of Omega 3-6-9.  Looks like you found a great company - thanks so much for recommending it!  I'll check back in after she's taken the joint formula awhile with the results.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DiCrane. Show DiCrane's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Senior Pet Care Tips? : Gracie gets stiff after long walks in the winter, and on your recommendation I just ordered a pound of their joint formula.  I also ordered 400 softgels of Omega 3-6-9.  Looks like you found a great company - thanks so much for recommending it!  I'll check back in after she's taken the joint formula awhile with the results.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

With the way my bones are cracking this winter (thanks to the cold & snow!) I might just buy some of their "people" pills! Please do follow up ~ I'm curious about the Omega pills too.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

DiCrane, you cracked me up!  I noticed their people pills, too, but since I spent about 90 bucks on Gracie I figured that was enough for now, lol!

I'll be sure to update you guys here with the results.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

DiCrane, do you remember how long it took to see the dramatic results you got using the Springtime joint supplements?  We got the joint support powder for Gracie, and I've been feeding her twice as much as the minimum for 6 days.  She seems about the same so far, but it so hard to tell.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DiCrane. Show DiCrane's posts

Hi Kar~

It took 3-4 weeks before I really noticed anything.  Hang in there! 

[QUOTE]DiCrane, do you remember how long it took to see the dramatic results you got using the Springtime joint supplements?  We got the joint support powder for Gracie, and I've been feeding her twice as much as the minimum for 6 days.  She seems about the same so far, but it so hard to tell.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]