1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristi. Show BDCKristi's posts

Should NH dogs be allowed in outdoor restaurant areas?

The House voted 307-25 to send the Senate a bill enabling NH restaurants to allow disciplined and leashed dogs on their patios and outdoor areas.

The story: http://www.boston.com/news/local/new-hampshire/2013/03/21/house-allow-dogs-outdoor-restaurant-areas/3OJ4m1C9iBBKTA4frzyQzM/story.html

What do you think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Re: Should NH dogs be allowed in outdoor restaurant areas?

Why not?   As long as people are being respectful and their pets are well behaved.

Most responsible pet owners know enough not to bring a rambuctious dog to a public place.

People/pets that are behaving inappropriately can always be politely asked to leave.

I recommend a dog carriage stroller, keeps small ones contained and safe while you enjoy your lunch, you do feel silly at first, but I have found my small dog is accepted at more places...in fact if you zip up the screen,   people tend to think you have a child in there!

Ps: I heard that in France dogs are allowed everywhere.

*3/25 Eta:  I have noted some of the comments that followed mine,   they confirm what I know is true...not everyone likes dogs!

Pet owners have to remember that,   we can't assume that our dog will be accepted in certain social situations.

Even if friends/family invite you to bring your dog, often they are just being polite.

Sometimes it's best to make other arrangements and say,  No thank you.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I am not a fan of this..but I guess if the restaurant wants to take the risk and feels that it will increase business then power to them. A good friend of mine owns a very scary looking pitbull...but she is one of the sweetest dogs I've ever met. Wonder if she'd be welcome in any restaurant patios.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I enjoy bringing Gracie to patio dining, and I've found people to be not only receptive, but they fawn over her.  They want to pet her, ask me all manner of questions, etc.  It seems like fun for all, at least where I've taken her.  No one has ever indicated to me that her presence was unwelcome.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, Gracie is a well trained dog. Not many dogs are like her. I would welcome Gracie into my home any time.
    But there are dogs (and dog owners), that don't know, how to behave with strangers. So unfortunately, rules that exclude those dogs goes for every other dog as well.
    If you decide to have a nice quiet outdoor lunch, you should not have to be entertained by an incessantly barking dog. That happened to us in CA, where pet dogs are kings. A tiny non stop yapping dog made us miserable. The dog owner was totally clueless, and continued to enjoy her martini, while the rest of us were suffering. We had to ask to be moved inside.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Agreed - I think dog owners should be considerate of the guests above their desire to have their dog with them.  I feel the same way about kids, frankly.  People with two year olds who can't go 3 minutes without screaming should be kept home.  Those who are well behaved, quiet, and entertained with coloring books, etc., no problem.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mickkey. Show Mickkey's posts

NO!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from energyit. Show energyit's posts

I live in a community where this is allowed. Do you like a dog at the next table staring, drooling, and wimpering during your entire meal. During an outing. We were dining at an outdoor restaurant. A couple with a dog gets the adjacent table. During our meal, the dog takes a dump by us. Oh the sights, the smells, ..wonderful ambience for our little romantic meal.

In short, my suggestion is no.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mmmz. Show mmmz's posts

NO!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lokys1959. Show lokys1959's posts

What about cats?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from patty24. Show patty24's posts

In response to BDCKristi's comment:

The House voted 307-25 to send the Senate a bill enabling NH restaurants to allow disciplined and leashed dogs on their patios and outdoor areas.

The story: http://www.boston.com/news/local/new-hampshire/2013/03/21/house-allow-dogs-outdoor-restaurant-areas/3OJ4m1C9iBBKTA4frzyQzM/story.html

What do you think?

YES....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from patty24. Show patty24's posts

Yes...most are probably more well behaved then people.......

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

In response to lokys1959's comment:

What about cats?

In a pet carriage stroller with the screen zipped up...why not? lol

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=12195

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from livenow. Show livenow's posts

No!

If you can't be without your pet through dinner, get a therapist.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

That is a good idea...     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotional_support_animal

An emotional support animal (ESA) is a US legal term for a pet which provides therapeutic benefit to its owner through companionship and affection. Emotional support animals are not specially trained to ameliorate disability as psychiatric service dogs are. They require only as much training as an ordinary pet requires in order to live peacefully among humans without being a nuisance or a danger to others.

In the U.S., two federal laws grant special rights to some owners of emotional support animals.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I'm allergic to dogs and cats.  I vote no.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sirbaron. Show sirbaron's posts

YES

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sirbaron. Show sirbaron's posts

In response to Robin39's comment:

In response to lokys1959's comment:

What about cats?

In a pet carriage stroller with the screen zipped up...why not? lol

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=12195

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sirbaron. Show sirbaron's posts

not all resturants i agree,  but some under certian  certain conditions  

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from fredbob. Show fredbob's posts

In response to BostonMA02116's comment:

I would rather have a dog  than a baby or child.

THEn go live wherer ther aren't any peop[le, just dogs.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fredbob. Show fredbob's posts

WELL-BEHAVED, CLEAN Dogs are OK at a coffee shop/sidewalk lunch place.  Otherwise:

Dogs smell like dogs.  Food tastes like it does largely because it SMELLS like it does.  I don't 'want to be smelling dog while I eat.  Ruins one's food and beer, wine or whiskey, all of which depend on smell for enjoyment.  Have met very very few dogs that would make for a half-decent dinner "companion".

I get the necessity of "service" dogs.  Beyond those, the following applies:

MORAL:  LEAVE YOUR DOG AT HOME. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

In response to energyit's comment:

I live in a community where this is allowed. Do you like a dog at the next table staring, drooling, and wimpering during your entire meal. During an outing. We were dining at an outdoor restaurant. A couple with a dog gets the adjacent table. During our meal, the dog takes a dump by us. Oh the sights, the smells, ..wonderful ambience for our little romantic meal.

In short, my suggestion is no.

Rather a dog than some screaming kid.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from AFM20. Show AFM20's posts

Sure,why not !! as long as I don't have to pay the bill