sick kitty

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Re: sick kitty

I agree with Kar.  I spent a lot of money on my cat Maggie when she got sick.  They suspected she had cancer or liver failure but I never got a real diagnosis.  When she turned jaundice (inside her ears turned yellow) I made the decision to put her down.  Hardest thing I ever did but the best thing for her.  I would def get second opinion before you spend all that money.  Good luck...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

what Kar and Amber said. You're doing what's right for you and that's nothing to regret.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

No, they didn't find the cause, which is a bit worrisome.  They said it's usually caused by some sort of injury (external) but they couldnt' find a source of any kind of injury.  then they thought maybe a leaking bowel or soemthing, but they didn't find evidence of that. So I do worry that it will come back.  We'll have to wait and see.  But as of now, there is no sign of infection.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Thanks for your thoughts, ladies.  Claddaugh - that's the hospital!  Before he left, my husband sent me a link.  I'm glad to know you had a pretty good experience there.  How's your dog now?  I hope he fully recovered. 

My poor husband is a mess - he's had our cats (brother and sister) since they were kittens.  I've only been around for a couple of years but am already attached.  I wish I could leave work to go with him.  I know a bit about dogs, but NOTHING about cat health...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this, Poppy. I'm not sure what it will cost. I hope it's something easy to treat.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I think we have to decide ASAP.  Amber - I don't entirely understand what the dr. said.  She said there is a layer of fat around cat's organs and that fat layer is inflamed.  Then some tests they did showed bacteria causing an infection in her abdomen, which in most cats is caused by an injury to the abdomen (mainly seen in outdoor cats).  Her white blood cell count is 3x normal.  So I'm kind of confused about why her "chances" are so slim, considering they dont' know what it is.  If it's just some kind of bladder infection or even cysitis (which the first vet did mention) I dont' understand why it's not easily treated.  I know a little about dogs but zilch about cats.  My husband is doing all the talking because he's at home and I'm at work - I wish I could have conversation with the vet also.  I might try to call when I have time, but have meetings almost all day. 

thanks for all of your sympathies!

ETA: I just read your post, Kar.  I don't know how to get a second opinion - we already spend 2K on tests yesterday, and I'm afraid if we went somewhere else it would be another 2K for the same tests... I don't know how it works with animals!  With people I get it, but I don't know with animals...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

2k on tests and another 4k for exploratory surgery and not very good odds?  I hate to say it, but putting her down should be on the table for discussion unless your finances are such that it's not a reasonable consideration. 

You're right; I wouldn't get another 2k of tests done somewhere else, either.

I know it's hard to even consider and I hope you know by mentioning it I'm trying to help from my heart of hearts. 

P.S.  I'm just assuming that $6,000 won't cover it. You could be thousands away from fixing the problem, and even then you could still lose the cat.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Claddaugh. Show Claddaugh's posts

So sorry about the news. How soon do you have to make a decision about the surgery?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Claddaugh. Show Claddaugh's posts

My heart is really going out to you too Poppy. I'm in a very similar situation as you right now- I literally just got off a conference call with my dog's oncologist and husband to try determine our next steps for our beloved girl.

At any rate, you should definitely be able to ask MassVetRefferal for a comprehensive list of tests they ran and the results so you wouldn't have to re-run them someplace else. Can you go over the results with your local vet? Perhaps they will be able to explain them to you directly so you'll have a better understanding of what you're looking at.

No matter what you decide- good luck.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Poppy?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Poppy, so sorry to hear.....  I have 2 cats and I would be frantic too.  Just curious if they tested for a bladder infection or cystitis?  I googled your cats symtoms at "ask the veternarian" and received this below.  I don't know if it helps, but I hope they look at everything else first. 

Sometimes inappropriate wetting is a sign of distress and can be that she is telling you she has a bladder infection or cystitis.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I'm so sorry poppy. :(

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Thanks everyone.  Vet called this morning and said she has some sort of infection in her abdomen and they recommend surgery.  Even with surgery vet said "60/40 chance".  surgery is 4K.  we are struggling.  she's only 11, indoor cat. i think we should do the surgery, becasue they don't really even know what's wrong without it - vet has to make guesses. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Thanks for all of your thoughts - I appreciate them.  We decided to go for the surgery, which is a decision many of you might not think is the best one.  My husband is a wreck and since I'm working he'd have to deal with it all and neither of us have the energy to figure that all out.  he's already dealing with the vet dr. (for the past couple of days) and really likes her.  He did not want to cart the cat all over the place for other opinions, especially since the doctor as well as our local vet said this is kind of an emergency situation and a decision needs to be made today.  Whatever happens, I won't have regrets. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

If it helps Poppy, if I had to do it again, I would have put my Maggie down sooner.  I kept her alive longer for me.  With my remaining animals I know I will lead with my head and not my heart when the time comes.  It may be her time to go...  just something to think about ok?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hey, poppy, I can't help, but also wanted to add to the well wishes for you and your kitty!  Our neighbor's cat just came through something that sounds very similar.  Turns out he was impacted/constipated.  They gave him something to help him "go" and he's been fine ever since.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I support your decision Poppy and I believe everyone else will too. I think we were just trying to let you know it was ok if you went the other way.  You and your husband know what is best for your cat.  I wish you the best in this and please let us know how she is doing. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, no, poppy.  So sorry you are struggling with this.  4k is a lot of money, and exploratory at that.  They might not even be able to solve the problem for having done it.  We were hoping it would be an obvious easy fix. :(

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

I have never used the facility myself, but have heard much good about it.  Good luck with your cat.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I'm sorry!  It's been insane here between work and life and I have barely been on BDC... Thank you for your concern!! :)

She is home now (as of Monday night) and has metal staples ALL down her abdomen.  She seems to be doing well!  She's on antibiotics for about a month, along with some pain meds - all in all, not costing very much (the surgery and overnight stays were the bulk).  They tell us all of the "tests" they did before she came home all look good and she'll go back in about a week for a check up and to hopefully get staples removed if ready.  My husband did all the talking with the vet so that's about what I know.

She's drinking, using the litter box, able to move around, jump, etc.  Not eating that much, so we're working on that (husband force fed her today).

Our other cat does NOT know what to make of this new, strange smelling cat (i.e., his sister!).  Any advice on how to get him to accept her again?  He used to be THE most affectionate brother - always wanting her attention and to snuggle, and she was the indifferent one.  Now he just hisses at her, but is not aggressive - seems more scared.  Not sure what to do.

So, I'm glad we did the surgery and now just wait and hope for no re-occurance!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukes58. Show lukes58's posts

i've been there with my then boyfriend's cat -- they were very good, they told us what was wrong, they gave us meds for the cat, said we could do all these expensive things but the cat was old and it probably would not prolong her life much, gave us meds to make her feel better and sent her home to die at home -- they were very compasionate and understanding and not just looking at the $$$ they would make

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Claddaugh. Show Claddaugh's posts

Hi Poppy
    If it's Mass Vet Referral Hospital (in Woburn)- I have had experience there. My husky had surgery on both of her hind legs (ACLs) there. I wasn't her Mom at the time- but my  husband said they did a great job. More recently, last October, she went back for a CT scan and lab tests. My vet sent us there because they are the best in the area for the type of diagnostic ability we needed. In my experience, they were very caring and thorough. I was a little frustrated the day we were expecting results as a I left the doctor a message in the morning and she didn't call back until the end of the day. But that's just me- I was a very very anxious Mom and we were in a big time crunch due to other upcoming schedule stuff. As for the cost, they were expensive, but CT scans are expensive regardless where you go. They will give you a full estimate before they do any work. Oh- if you do get any type of scans or xrays, request a cd copy when you leave. They attempted to send out the scans via email to my vet and couldn't do it. I had to go back and get the CD myself.

Good luck Poppy. Let us know what you find out.
    Fingers crossed

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'd get a second opinion before I made the decision to get 4k exploratory surgery.  Can you imagine if you and the kitty went through that for something they missed in the blood work?

Also, I hope you know you won't be judged poorly for putting the dear thing down instead of paying thousands of dollars for exploratory surgery.  There will most certainly be more expense after that to remedy her, and that's even if they find it's something curable.  It's something we all dread, and we'd all like to be able to do everything medically possible for our precious pets, but cost IS a factor, unfortunately, and you have to do what you have to do, either way.

Keep us posted.

~kar

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Claddaugh. Show Claddaugh's posts

Poppy- you're making the best decision for your situation.

In case it hasn't come up- make sure you discuss a pain mgt strategy with the vet before you bring your cat home. I don't know a lot about cats & pain mgt, but with my dog, I have been very vocal about ensuring we have the pain plan in place and I haven't been afraid to ask for the pain meds ahead of time for a more proactive approach. The vets I'm working with now have been really great about keeping on top of this too.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

wow Poppy, you already spent 2K?  I would tell them 4K is just too much.  I agree, why are they not trying antibiotics first at least??  We are so at their mercy and my heart goes out to you.  Do what you think is best for your kitty and also for you and your DH.  To spend all that money to not know what is wrong seems crazy to me.  I know your precious kitty would not want you to go through all that either....  please keep up updated and my prayers are with you..