Spade and Micro chip

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Spade and Micro chip

I am wondering if $490. is a lot for a spade and micro-chip for my puppy.  I love my vet but I am wondering if this is expensive or the going rate.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Re: Spade and Micro chip

Honestly, it sounds expensive.  I got my cat when he was a kitten from a pound. They spay/neuter the animal there and microchip them and the adoption cost was $70.  Granted, this was 10 years ago, but I can't imagine the cost would have gone up that much b/c otherwise it would be cost prohibitive to adopt from pounds.

I'd call around.  But def. get your puppy spayed and chipped.  GL!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Not anymore,  the other thing is sometimes there are special circumstances, such as an undescended testicle.  

www.friendsofanimals.org      http://www.friendsofanimals.org/cgi-bin/snrequest.cgi  regarding their spay/neuter certificates?  Your vet may accept it. 

The microchip is like a $20. thing.   In the end if you can keep the bill under $500. and the dog gets good care... that's not so bad!

Make sure they give her enough pain medication for afterwards and give it to her at bedtime so she'll sleep well. 

I forgot, if the vet offers you the laser option, take it,  it hastens healing.

There are low cost spay neuter programs out there,  your local animal rescue league or MSPCA can tell you about them,  it might cut the cost in half but you'd have to go with a vet you don't know and get the minimum of care.

Also pugs have the pushed in face [bracheocelfalic] making them more prone to respiratory problems under anesthesia.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I recently adopted a kitten (he's 19 weeks).  We paid $250 for him and he was neutered and had three shots.  He wasis not microchipped, but if we want to do that the Vet will do it for $35.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We payed about that for Gracie, a 50 lb 6 month old lab, to be spayed and chipped.  

BUT, be aware that there are two types of anesthesia, one a lot more expensive than the other.  One is considered very safe for young, healthy dogs but not safe for elderly or cardio- or pulmonary-compromised dogs.  My vet chose to set up her practice to only use the expensive one so it would cover all her patients' needs.  It was too expensive for her to have the equipment and supplies on hand for both.  Those who do have both, however, will do a spaying with the much cheaper anesthesia, and that would be the difference of a couple hundred dollars (actual difference depends on size of dog and length of time under).  

I learned this when I was investigating the price differences for Gracie's tooth extraction.  We took her to a place that uses the cheaper one because her overall health and age were such that it would be safe and we chose to save the money.  

Ask your vet which of the two types he/she uses and to describe the differences between them.  If he says he's using the cheaper of the two, that price, imo, is too high.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

My vet charges $160 for spaying. The microchip came with the adoption fee (Animal Rescue League).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

In Response to Re: Spade and Micro chip:

My vet charges $160 for spaying. The microchip came with the adoption fee (Animal Rescue League).
    Posted by reindeergirl

A cat or a dog?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Angell Memorial does spays/neutering.  We had out puppy neutured there two years ago for $150 WITH an overnight stay (ended up being about $180 out the door with meds) after our vet, who I LOVE and go to for everything else - quoted $375 plus another $175 for pre-op bloodwork.  Not sure if they chip, too, but I'd find it hard to believe if they didn't. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

A dog, Robin.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Thanks for all the input.  She is a healthy 6 month old Pug puppy.  I know that my vet has a special machine that he uses to put dog under for dogs that do not have a nose.  I really like him and he has a pug too.  So that gives him extra points with me. LOL  Ill ask about the different anesthesia.  And will check friendsofanimals.org.  Thank you!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Your welcome,  if she's a healthy girl you may not need to see the vet again... at least till spring for heartworm test/meds.

Look into pet health insurance, it may be cost effective.

Oh,  and please come back with your questions, you'll get different opinions that you can sort through and decide what's best for your pet.  Good luck    

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Thanks dog-lady.  I looked into friendofanimals.org and the closes place to me was an hour away.  I think Ill just go with my vet.  Her appt is 2/7!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukeseri58. Show lukeseri58's posts

i think it cost me close to $500 for Emma to be spayed - but i waited till she was almost two years old and had been heat three times -- i know that makes a difference and the cost but i wanted her to be fully grown before i did it -- i really wanted to wait till she was two but i couldn't go through another heat -- i did have her microchiped then too -- and i did all the blood work as well -- i do think my vet is a little bit pricey