1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Stoneham Animal Hospital

Hello
    We have a 9-week old kitten and I was wondering if anyone had any experience (good or bad) with Stoneham Animal Hospital.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Re: Stoneham Animal Hospital

I recommend   www.luvmypet.com    located at Petco stores 

SKP Super Kitten Pack

Kitty pack w/ Felv/FIV/HW Test 
    (A $21 SAVINGS over individual prices)
    $68.00
    Feline Individual Services 

*Rabies$17.00

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Thanks, but PetCo isn't as close as Stoneham Animal Hospital. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Winter, I yelped Stoneham Animal Hospital.  You may want to yelp it yourself too as there are good and bad reviews. But Dr. Jawitz seems to be liked a lot.  Hope this help!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I googled them too, and really decided you can't go by the online reviews, I find most times it's only when someone is disatisfied that they go on and post about their visit.  I have taken my cats to Malden Animal clinic (because one of my GDs worked there), but they are a pain to get to and parking is iffy.  I've also used Saugus Animal Clinic on Route 1.  I think they are high.  I did like the female vet I saw the last time I brought Cheerio.  She was very kind and very thorough.  I'm so spoiled by the vet I had for years in Lynn, that I'm sure no place will ever live up to him.  Unfortunately he has retired from practice.

Sorry that I have no actual reference to or about Stoneham, Winter.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

You are correct on the online reviews tt.  I was hoping to give her something to go on, even if some are bad.  I presently use Malden Animal Hospital on Salem Street and I'm happy with them.  I have also used VCA in Everett, but they are more expensive.  Saugus had Dr. Dan at one point I think?  I know everyone loved him, but I believe he is no longer with them.  I think you have to go with who you feel comfortable with.  I have changed vets more than once. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Yes, and she wants to get someone close to where she lives so in case of an emergency it's not a great distance to travel.

That being said, I don't think you can go wrong with a first visit for a kitten.  You mainly want them to check him over and be sure he's healthy, and to get his next shot.  You can get a feel of what your reaction is to the vet he sees, and decide from there on in whether you want to continue with them or find another.  It's not like he is sick and your back is up against the wall.  I forget who you knew who got the kitten, you could also check with her and see what her recommendation is, or what she has heard good or bad about some places.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

In an emergency any vet will see you especially if you have the paper work in hand with information regarding the last vaccinations,  the only thing required by law is the rabies shot,  and you may want to inquire about the new one, every 1 year ... the 3 year one for cats has a high rate of cancer occurrence.    

PS: Most emergencies happen at night or on weekends and you have to go to the 24 hour veterinary clinic where they don't know you anyway.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

That is exactly why I switched to Malden Animal Hospital.  I can walk to it from my house.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Thanks.  I did read the reviews and then I read reviews for VCA in Wakefield.  I've called VCA Wakefield for an appointment and I'll see what they say when I called.  They are opened every night until 8 and on Saturdays until 4. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Sounds like a good choice.  Good luck.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

VCA in Worcester is where we took Gracie to get her tooth out.  We were very happy with the care she got and with all the staff we interacted with (desk, nurses/techs, and doctor) so hopefully you'll find the same quality of care in Wakefield.

I'm jealous ambergirl; I can't walk to anywhere from here!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I would suggest visiting the office beforehand. I did this with my current vet and they actually encouraged it ..a great point in their favor. Also,  if they are not a 24 hour facility find out who they refer to.  Something to look for when you go..is whether or not they have a waiting room full of people/pets and if they have separate areas for dogs/cats. This is important if you have a cat. If they have a waiting room full of people..chances are they overschedule. I don't think the home testing and vaccination kits are a subsitute for a vet exam.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

When you go to Petco  www.luvmypet.com  the vaccinations are given by a vet, not a vet tech  and even though you are not paying for an examination they will answer your questions,  yes you do have to stand in line and have your cat in a carrier.

Too bad it's not convenient for you.

I have never heard of home testing and vaccination kits?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Doglady..sorry my bad on the home vaccination kits..I saw your link and thought it was a kit that you purchase..which now that I am thinking about it doesn't make much sense. I have seen home testing kits for various things..but not vaccination..sorry for the misunderstanding.
    Actually..your link leads me to another piece of advice for the OP..and that is to get estimates for services. Every vet should be willing to do this. My average bill at the vets is anywhere from $80-$120 for exam and any all vaccinations/testing my vet thinks appropriate. I do this twice a year for each of my cats and don't think this is out of line. I had some bigger bills a few months ago when my kitten was ill..but overall the average is pretty low.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

My parents live in Stoneham, and have for years, but I do know that they take their cats into Boston for vet care.  I don't know if its because they don't like the Stoneham Animal Hospital, or what.

Going to Petco, or other such clinics is fine if money is an issue or you're between vets for some reason, but building up a history with a vet is extreamly valuable for later in life.  When your regular vet has all that at their fingertips in your pets records its much easier for them to make recommendations that will not only help your pet but work for you.

Also there should be more going on during a new kitten/puppy visit than just vaccinations.  Your vet should be thouroghly checking over your new kitten and asking you specific questions about their behavior and as much history as you know.  Often little things can be caught right there before they're an issue.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Thanks.  I have made an appointment at VCA Wakefield for next Saturday.  I have his papers and he has already had a rabies shot and the first distemper shot and first round of de worming and flee treatment.  He is getting a well ness visit and whatever vaccinations he needs.  He has already been neutered.  He has also been tested for this Felv/FIV/HW.   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

Good!  Sounds like someone cared about your little bundle of fur (which isn't always the case).  Have fun keeping up with him!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Thanks Ruth.  The kitty connection where we got him found him at 6 weeks, and they took him to get looked at.  They gave us the papers which I think was great.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jharvey31. Show jharvey31's posts

In Response to Re: Stoneham Animal Hospital:
    VCA in Worcester is where we took Gracie to get her tooth out.  We were very happy with the care she got and with all the staff we interacted with (desk, nurses/techs, and doctor) so hopefully you'll find the same quality of care in Wakefield. I'm jealous ambergirl; I can't walk to anywhere from here!
    Posted by kargiver

I got to VCA Abbott in Worcester and love them. The vets are awesome and the techs and desk clerks are awesome too. When my older dog died, the dr on call at the time sent a nice symphay card and they also took a paw print of my dogs paw and sent it with the card. I framed it and plan on getting it tattood also. My other dog Holly goes  there too and they are always very nice and friendly too us (even when she has accidents on the floor lol)  and the fact that they are open on the weekends is great. I never have a problem getting a weekend appointment at all.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

jharvey, that's great!  I'm glad you've had the same great service there as we have.  I love the idea of sending you a paw print...very moving and caring.  Maybe I'll know you by your paw tatoo if our paths ever cross there after you get it.

We were just there, again, this morning - fabulous experience, again.

Sections
Shortcuts