1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

The Pet Who Never Forgets - Please share

Hey everyone,

I thought it would be fun to share some fun little anecdotes about the food, smells, and sounds that your pet never forgets.  I bring this up because of one food item: cantaloupe.  That's right.  I have a kitty who loves cantaloupe.  I don't buy it often, and by that I mean, maybe once or twice a YEAR.  I bought one this week, and I barely had the knife into it to make the first cut, when my kitty looked up, his eyes wide  - and raced right into the kitchen.

Once a year, and he never forgets.  Loves it.  
    He can only have a piece as big as my baby fingernail.  He loves it, but he's one of those delicate little guys, you know? 

I feel like I have to go outside to eat, so he won't know what he's missing.  
    The sound of a wrapper or container being opened?   Opening a yogurt container is another one, and that's a staple, so I usually run water when I open the container.  He still knows.  :D

Does this happen to you with your pet(s)??   Share the fun.   :D   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: The pet who never forgets - Please share

Hey, yoga! 

Cute melon story!  I wouldn't have thought a cat would go ga ga for cantelope!

Gracie's only 2 so I don't know of anything yet, but I also run the water when I do things that I don't want her to hear (like unwrapping a piece of American cheese), and she usually hears, anyway, and comes running, lol.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Cheerio of course, loves cheese and comes running when I open the cold cut drawer to take it out, but her very favorite thing is a plain donut.  She seems to be able to smell one a mile away, and the purrs practically rock the house!  I do share little nibbles with her.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: The pet who never forgets - Please share:
    [QUOTE]Cheerio of course, loves cheese and comes running when I open the cold cut drawer to take it out, but her very favorite thing is a plain donut.  She seems to be able to smell one a mile away, and the purrs practically rock the house!  I do share little nibbles with her.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

A plain donut?  Really?  Well, I feel better already.  The scent of a fresh donut is nearly impossible to hide.   Too funny, trumpet.  :D

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE] Well, I feel better already.
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Were you feeling down?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The pet who never forgets - Please share : Were you feeling down?
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]
    Hi Kar,
    I just meant that it's fun to share these stories knowing we all have to limit those little food treats that our pets latch onto.  It's hard not to spoil them, but too much of a treat is not always a good thing.   It's all in good fun, though.  :D

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, don't we know it!  Gracie cries and cries for more food every day.  She's NOT wasting away so we have to just ignore her howling at the pantry door.  Although, Daddy is prone to give in...if I were working and he were home I think she'd be 500 lbs. LOL!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from venforknot. Show venforknot's posts

My puggle goes nuts for tuna. And like you, yoga, it's not something I eat all the time. I only buy a can of tuna maybe once a month or once every two months. I always thought that was just a cat thing. I can't even open the cabinet door without him flying in from wherever he is to see if it's a tuna can.  It's usually not and he usually just walks away but somehow he knows the shape of that tuna can and will not leave the area until he gets a teenie taste.  Smart little pooch.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mkirchne. Show mkirchne's posts

our dog is crazy for peanut butter, haha.  i swear as soon as we unscrew the lid on the jar, she could be fast asleep, but suddenly she is wide awake and in the kitchen waiting for us to give her a sample.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Gracie also loves fish (her regular food is "Fish and Oatmeal"), and I get salmon and haddock with the skin on to give it to her as a Kong treat.  And, peanut butter, too!!!  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I must confess, Cheerio gets a taste of just about everything I put in my mouth, which is quite a lot!  I wouldn't give her anything chocolate, but a dab of squirt can whipped cream, a little lump of margarine, of course any sandwich fillings  just a smidgen, and always the tuna can with some remains scooped into the middle for her, the remains of the yolk of a soft boiled egg.  But her Christmas treat on any day, would be some bits of that plain donut.  She's quite a girl.

Oh, I almost forgot, she loves to lap green olives and push them all around the floor with her tongue, sometimes getting the red pimento out and eating that! Must be the salt.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Laughing at the picture of Cheerio chasing an olive around like a salty mouse!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]My puggle goes nuts for tuna. And like you, yoga, it's not something I eat all the time. I only buy a can of tuna maybe once a month or once every two months. I always thought that was just a cat thing. I can't even open the cabinet door without him flying in from wherever he is to see if it's a tuna can.  It's usually not and he usually just walks away but somehow he knows the shape of that tuna can and will not leave the area until he gets a teenie taste.  Smart little pooch.
    Posted by venforknot[/QUOTE]
    Tuna, really?  That is sweet.  
    Also, Ven, I've never heard of a puggle (not up on new dog breeds) and now know they're a pug / beagle mix -- the pics are too cute to believe.  Those are two of my fave breeds, I used to love beagles as a kid, and pugs seem to be very popular, at least in the Boston area.  Inspired.  :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Oh, interesting point about the olive, Trumpet.   One of the real stumpers for me is that my other kitty, who shows very little interest in the finer foods of life, acts like a drug addict when he smells olive oil.   I put a bit on my fingers, and he licks all of it off, and then some.  I've never seen him act like that over anything else.  

Actually, a bit of olive oil is at least healthy, you know?  :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Gracie likes olive oil, too.  Actually, she likes fish, olive, peanut, and flax oils all plain in her dish.  She laps them up like treats.

The only thing she associates with getting a treat and comes running for, though, is the peeling open of a string cheese stick or American cheese slice (have you ever tried to do that quietly?), and since we don't eat them she knows it's for her.  Everything else, though, I managed to keep her from assuming she's going to get some so she wouldn't be running into the kitchen every other thing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Re: The Pet Who Never Forgets - Please share

Amber goes insane over slim jims.  She only gets one occasionnaly if i see them in the store and as soon as she sees the yellow and red wrapper sticking out of the bag, she runs like a mad woman to the kichen.  When I am unwrapping it her little body wiggles so hard I think her butt is going to fall off!  So cute..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ktotheristen. Show ktotheristen's posts

In Response to The Pet Who Never Forgets - Please share:
    My cat loves, I mean like climbs me for it loves, lettuce.  If I have a burger, he'll try to pull the lettuce out the side.  If I'm making salad, I have to make him one. He screams like a baby until he gets some.  It's wicked funny. I can't have house plants because of him, he thinks they're all snacks.  And bananas.  If he could physically hold the whole thing, I swear he'd steal them off the counter.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i got my cat off a farm in new hampshire, saw the sign on the road...lived up in a cottage with a lot of open area, she roamed like a beast...raised 24 kittens in 3 years, and watching her teach them how to hunt/kill was pretty enlightening.  more than once i saw her leap straight up and come down with a bat in her mouth.

ANYWAY, she knows meat, and she loves raw meat (or cooked, but raw preferably)...she could have a huge food bowl of the finest cat food available, and if i so much as open a fridge with any raw meat in it, she will be ALL OVER me.  she misses her farm life, but i let her roam every now and then.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That is hilarious, kt!  I'd never think any creature could go that wild over plain old lettuce.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

ph, a BAT?!  WOW, they swoop down for mere seconds and then, whoosh, back up in the sky.  That is one quick cat!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from spoogedog. Show spoogedog's posts

My cat Eddie is a shrimp addict, I have to buy extra shrimp for him or I will be scratched alive. As soon as he get a whiff of cooking shrimp his eyes become how huge there is no white showing.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpuppy. Show bigpuppy's posts

What won't Bosco eat? If sharks are the perfect eating machine, then Labs must be a close second!

Any type of people food goes without saying, but Bosco knows the sound of my home office door. I keep a cookie jar on the kitchen counter with his biscuits in it, but I keep the big biscuit box that I fill it from in my home office. As soon as I open that door, he's in like a shot with his snout buried in the biscuit box.

He doesn't do it with any other door in the house - just that one. It doesn't sound any different to me, but it sure does to him. I think he just likes feeling like he's stealing treats from me! After all, it's not like he doesn't get enough of them from the regular treat jar ...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from chillymama. Show chillymama's posts

My 12 yr old male Tuxedo cat is so inquisitive. When I'm in the kitchen,I let him sniff everything I'm making. He'll turn his head away when I am making somethng he doesn't like.  So far he has told me he deosn't like coffee, strawberries, vegetables,bread, cooked eggs and tomato sauce.
    But, he does like balsamic vinagerette salad dressing as well as Italian dressing and goes crazy for shrimp, tuna fish and small pieces of sharp cheddar cheese. He loves milk, of course, yogurt and the other day he ate 1/2 of a slice of chopped canned peaches in lite syrup ,

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I'm howling over these anecdotes and pet foodie stories.  Awesome.  :D  

I should also mention that I have a "water" kitty and by that I mean he sits on the side of the bathtub and waits for me to splash water on his head.  Also the bathroom sink, same thing.  If he sees me heading for the bathroom, he practically trips over himself racing me there, jumps up on the sink, and waits for the water games to begin.  I've *never* had a cat who likes to be splashed with water the way he does. :D

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

My cat comes into the kitchen 99% of the time when the fridge door is opened.  He goes ga ga for cream in the AM and will come and meow at me to get up if I hit the snooze button b/c he gets his cream first thing after I brush him.  He'll try to herd me away from the bathroom and over to the kitchen on days when he is particularly insistent for his cream.  He is also particularly fond of Doritos. Doritos do not make their way into our house very often, but when they do, he smells the powdered nacho cheese and comes running.  He will pat my arm w/ his paw to get my attention when he wants it and I'm not giving it to him fast enough. 

Sections
Shortcuts