The Pet Who Never Forgets - Please share

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: The Pet Who Never Forgets - Please share

My son had a cat who loved to lay in the bathroom basin.  I have a pic of me putting on make up using the mirror above, and him just laying there, gazing up.  I thought it was the coolness of the basin, but maybe not!

(realize this is not a "foodie", per se, but post about being splashed with water brought it to mind.)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpuppy. Show bigpuppy's posts

Yoga, that's too funny about the water. I have to lock the bathroom door in the mornings - I learned that lesson after Bosco crashed through the shower curtain and into the tub while I was taking a shower one day!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

OMG, that's so funny, bp!  Good to see you. :)  Gracie doesn't go anywhere near the shower because I used to give her baths that way, and while she loves the water, she hates the bath process.  Love the office door anecdote, too.

Yoga, a "water" kitty who likes to be splashed?  I've never heard of such a thing!  

Chillymama, I also let Gracie sniff things in the kitchen, but I do it to get her to GO AWAY while I'm preparing dinner.  She's finicky and turns her nose up at about everything so it works great.  When she finds out she doesn't want what's up there, she loses interest and she takes her nose elsewhere.

ALF, it's sooooo funny, but Gracie only goes to the kitchen when the fridge is opened if DH opens it.  Guess why.  Grr. LOL!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skipgirl. Show Skipgirl's posts

My Mac goes crazy over hardboiled eggs.  I can't even peel the shell off without him running and sliding into me  -  he'll sit down maybe an inch away from me and he won't take his eyes off me (he knows it's for him, I don't know why he has to stare me down).  His forehead gets all wrinkled with worry that I don't know he's there so just to be sure he'll give a little whine (he's not even 2 yet so I guess that's ok!)  I have to admit, I sometimes use the egg as a bribe to get him to come inside sometimes.  I'll ask him if he wants some egg and no fail, he comes running.  Bananas are a close second.  He hears the banana peel being ripped and there he is - runnng and sliding out of nowhere!  He doesn't like peanut butter though..weird, I know!! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We bribe Gracie all the time with food to come in the house!  I wish we'd done a better job of training her to come without a bribe, but alas, there it is.  Instead of "Come!" we have to say, "Comegetyourtreat!"  Sad, isn't it? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AGOODDOG. Show AGOODDOG's posts

Re: The pet who never forgets - Please share

In Response to Re: The pet who never forgets - Please share:
    [QUOTE]our dog is crazy for peanut butter, haha.  i swear as soon as we unscrew the lid on the jar, she could be fast asleep, but suddenly she is wide awake and in the kitchen waiting for us to give her a sample.
    Posted by mkirchne[/QUOTE]

Peanut butter is a terrific way to give medications.  We offer the first dollop for free...nothing in it.  They are so psyched for more, the second dollop gets the pill, and they wolf it down without even noticing the pill.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We use peanut butter for pills, too, and I learned that if I put the pill in peanut butter AND coat my forefinger and thumb in it, too, she takes the pill and licks my fingers.  While she's licking, she automatically swallows what's in her mouth.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: The Pet Who Never Forgets - Please share:
    [QUOTE]Yoga, that's too funny about the water. I have to lock the bathroom door in the mornings - I learned that lesson after Bosco crashed through the shower curtain and into the tub while I was taking a shower one day!
    Posted by bigpuppy[/QUOTE]
    That's awesome, bigpup!   That's loyalty!  Lesson learned.  Phew, I haven't laughed this hard in front of the computer screen in a long time.  :D

I have often told my kitty, "be careful what you wish for" when he's on the edge of the tub, because he has no idea what he'd be in for if he fell in.  :D

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpuppy. Show bigpuppy's posts

Yoga, I'm right with you - I'm laughing so hard I'm crying at some of these stories. Thanks for starting this thread - what a great idea! Although I've gotten some great advice from this board and I think we've all gotten some comfort from shared sympathies in hard pet times, it's so nice to read the light, funny moments that remind us just why we love our little furbabies!

Kar - I don't think I've ever heard of a Lab who's a finicky eater. You're lucky - Bosco views the world as one big buffet. He's been known to jump up on the stove (not while it's on, thankfully) when I'm unloading groceries on the kitchen counter to get a closer look at the bags. It's quite the sight to see a 90-lb. dog with a 40-inch vertical leap!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yup, it's unbelieveable but true!  She wants to be fed ALL the time, but if you feed her something she doesn't like she spits it out.  She bellies up to the raspberry bushes and eats them like a bear and catches them in her mouth if you toss them her way.  But, toss her a blackberry, and she spits it out like you've tried to poison her...blueberries and strawberries get the heave ho, too.

She also has put her paws up on the counter for 1/2 a plate of meatballs she managed to scarf down before I grabbed them.  I yelled at her, and she's never done it since.  Bosco actually gets all fours up there?!  Impressive!!  90 lbs...yowza.  Gracie is 75, but that's only because we "starve" her, poor girl.  The surgeon who did her knee said he wants to see her get down to 70 lbs so as to reduce risk to the other knee.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpuppy. Show bigpuppy's posts

Yep - all fours. It was just once. I never yell at him, just try to talk firmly and repeat commands to teach him but that day he scared me so much that I really did let loose on him. I think it scared him to hear me raise my voice like that because thankfully he's never done it again. It scared me so much - I could only think how he could have been hurt if it had happened while the stove was on.

Believe it or not, Bosco thinks I starve him, too. He's just a really big boy - dwarfs all of his other Lab friends. He's not stocky, just really long and tall (when I ordered his winter coat in the 'Lab' size, it was 6 inches too short and he ended up in a Great Dane one - I had to redo the velcro straps under his belly so it wouldn't hang!). I got him from a breeder and met his parents and I had a feeling he'd be a big one because his dad was a moose. His vet isn't concerned about his weight, but I know I'll have to keep a close eye on it as he gets older.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Gracie is tall and long, too, for a lab, and 75 lbs is quite big for a female lab.  I can see how the male version of her would easily be 90 lbs.

I only yelled because the meatballs were about to go into the big pot o' spaghetti - I don't often yell at her, but it was a reflex.  Labs are so sensitive! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from spoogedog. Show spoogedog's posts

To add to the list of foods dogs don’t like. Our beagle/basset mix (spoogie) would never eat a pea. If he was given a can of dog country stew, the peas would all be pushed to the side of the dish. Sometimes we would toss a pea to him, he’d gulp it and then the process began. No kidding, he looked like he was eating it then poof, out it came completely intact. That’s hard to do with a cooked pea.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

How can he avoid peas stew?!  That's real dislike, LOL!  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Yoga, I'm right with you - I'm laughing so hard I'm crying at some of these stories. Thanks for starting this thread - what a great idea! Although I've gotten some great advice from this board and I think we've all gotten some comfort from shared sympathies in hard pet times, it's so nice to read the light, funny moments that remind us just why we love our little furbabies!
    Posted by bigpuppy[/QUOTE]
    Bigpup, aw, thanks, and ditto.  This has had great entertainment value and it's sweet to see the way we get to know our pets inside out.  I hope we get more input b/c I'll be all over it.  :D   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]To add to the list of foods dogs don’t like. Our beagle/basset mix (spoogie) would never eat a pea. If he was given a can of dog country stew, the peas would all be pushed to the side of the dish. Sometimes we would toss a pea to him, he’d gulp it and then the process began. No kidding, he looked like he was eating it then poof, out it came completely intact. That’s hard to do with a cooked pea.
    Posted by spoogedog[/QUOTE]Well, it must be impossible to administer a pill to spoogie, that's all I can say!  That's a dog who knows what he's willing to swallow.  :D

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Max will eat anything that doesn't put up too much of a fight, but the only food I've seen him spit out and plain old refuse to eat- raw hamburger. My mom feeds top grade stuff to her dog that's on a raw diet, and Max won't touch the stuff. It must be the fact that it's cold.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hey, Pink!  We've missed you and Max. :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

[QUOTE]Hey, Pink!  We've missed you and Max. :)
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

I've missed reading about Gracie and your always awesome comments. Work's been crazy. No time to kill on the forums ;)

funny/sweet story about Max- last night we took the T back from a friend's house around 11pm. At the Tufts stop, a nurse got on and sat three seats away from us. She looked at him and smiled, and he went right over and sat down next to her and leaned on her. Her eyes welled up and she laughed and said "You have no idea how much I needed this after my shift!"

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Everything is making me tear up lately...  Thanks, my friend.  I saw an adorable Chiwawa at the town's farmer's market Saturday, and I thought of Max and wondered how you've been.  Glad it's "just" busy and everything is OK. :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

[QUOTE]Everything is making me tear up lately...  Thanks, my friend.  I saw an adorable Chiwawa at the town's farmer's market Saturday, and I thought of Max and wondered how you've been.  Glad it's "just" busy and everything is OK. :)
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

yes, all's well here. I'm also moving on the 1st, so when I'm not at work, I'm at home packing. Luckily I'd say we're 95% packed at this point. Everything left is the stuff we use every day.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

OMG, moving is an all-consuming mess, isn't it?  GL, there's light at the end of the tunnel at this point!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Awww... Max is such a good boy.  It never ceases to amaze me how dogs know  what we need when we really need it.  GL with the move Pink!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Thanks, Nov!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

My old lady whom I lost in March loved doritos and poptarts - the ones with the frosting on top.  Oh, and she loved eating the vanilla ice cream as it squeezed out of the ice cream sandwich.

My current cat loves milk - I don't drink the stuff, but my husband pours a glass and she is right THERE, face in the glass, drinking. A few mugs are white on the inside and she always checks those out just to make sure they aren't milk.... and makes a horrible face when she discovers tea, beer, etc! 

She kind of likes doritos, but not like my other cat did!