1. You have chosen to ignore posts from clashfan. Show clashfan's posts

Toilet flushing cat

My cat has taken to flushing the toilet as a recreational event.  Sounds funny I know but in addition to the extra water bills I'm worried he will break the toilet.  He likes both to watch the water swirl around and the sound of the flushing itself.  So it doesn't help to keep the lid closed just gives him a more secure surface to stand on.  

We try to keep the bathroom door closed at all times but he can also open doors when he wants to.  He is a very smart cat.  I have tried the squirt gun method of training him but since he is a Maine Coon his coat is water resistant.

Basically he just looks at me and then at the water beading off his coat and goes right on about his business.  

Any other suggestions?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tequilagirl98. Show tequilagirl98's posts

Re: Toilet flushing cat

clashfan -
    I'm glad I am not the only one with a huge, smart Maine Coon. One of mine is 20 lbs, and is showing a lot of interest in the toilet. He hasn't figured it out totally (yet) so this whole string was a huge help!!!Laughing

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

ambergirl, that totally cracks me up!  Nothing says, "Feed me RIGHT NOW" like operating the can opener!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

A vet once told my Mom - who loves cats as well as dogs -  Vasoline makes some cats nuts, and is not only slippery, to keep them raiding the food supply ( in a step on pedal  bin)   but has the added benefit of easing hairballs through their system, so that frequent hairball vomiters may never do it again for 5-15 years,  not a bad thing to introduce.

Just remember, for about 1/4 of cats, vasolene is a complete laxative, a few licks and they empty their systems, nose to tail.

They key is, do you know which kind of cat you have?

No doubt about it, it is best when kitty learns - that does not work!  right off the bat, so long term vasolene tolerance is never tested!    Great that no traction / no flush discouraged kitty immediately.   Job well done,  and so simply,  too.  I'm  impressed!    Wag 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

That's why I love cats! They are hilarious. My cat is 15, and sometimes she still acts like a kitten. I really don't get it, actually. Like, for instance...she will be totally fine and then all of a sudden totally spazz out, run around the condo like a nutcase, sliding all over our hardwood floors, stop, lick herself (like she is cleaning), and then continue on spazzing out. SO weird! But it is the cutest thing, ever...

Cats provide so much entertainment! :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I had a persian/tabby mix who liked to stick his head in the fridge. He also liked to sleep in the sink and play fetch. He was a licker as well. We thought it was cute until we had a 20lbs cat clutching our hand licking it and digging his claws in if you tried to pull away. I guess he saw us all as his dirty kittens who needed to sit still and get a good cleaning from him.
    There were also days when he'd bite or swat at my dad's nose to wake him up so he'd feed him.

DH's old roommate had a cat that loved to chew on plastic and she collected things. She had a pile of small things like pen caps or bottle caps under the bed. it was very odd.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Liz my 2 cats do that with each other and it is so funny.  They will be sleeping and then one decides he wants to play and aggravates the other.  They are 10 and 8 but can run like crazy!  Anyone who doesn't think cats are intelligent needs to see them in action for sure!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

She drove me crazy, but loved that cat.  She is gone now, but we still tell stories of her.  Pink, I feed my cats when I get home at night but on the weekends, one of my cats Boo will follow me around and cry all morning like I am starving him.  He doesn't want to wait until nightime.  So I have to feed him and his brother in the morning on the weekends.  It is funny too, as he seems to be the "voice" for the 2 of them.  Tigger is very laid back and affectionate.  Boo is loud and demands affection when he is ready.  That is usually in the middle of the night when I am sleeping..... 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from clashfan. Show clashfan's posts

So one day later and the bathroom door was left open all night.  No flushing!

Of course I have forgotten twice about the gooey handle and let me just say vaseline is tough to wash off.

I will leave it for a couple of days just to super reinforce the lesson.

Thank you to everyone for all the really great advice.

Pinkkittie sometimes our Mom's really do know best!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from clashfan. Show clashfan's posts

I agree that one of the reasons you become a cat lover is you do love their antics.  If not how could they not drive you crazy?  I've never met a really "dumb" cat, lazy?  sure, self-absorbed?  absolutely, but never one I thought was truly dumb.  

Poppy- funny you should wonder what Sebastian's next antic will be.  He has already come up with it.  Like a lot of other people I've  got a large coin jar that I toss spare change in.  Been sitting in the same place forever and he has never shown any interest in it.  The past couple of days he has decided to dig in and pull out coins and then swat them around the floor.  Needless to say this is noisy so he only does it in the middle of the night.  

Gotta love those cats.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Does  Cat  use the bathroom for a litterbox?  such that you do not want to exclude kitty or frighten kitty in that room?

We had short term custody of a spaniel while it's owner had surgery, recovery rehab.  Nice, smart dog, and a ROYAL  PITA.
         He was trained to be a physical assistant for a person with limited use of 1 hand, who was most often in a wheelchair.
         While she was hospitalized, aside from going room to room, making pitiful noises, Spenser started all this attention getting stuff.

The whole gamut of trained tricks.  He would strip our beds, chuck each sheet and blanket  1 at a time into the laundry bag, then sit on the bed and ruff ruff til we came.  While at work 1 time, he unmade 9 guest and regular beds in one afternoon - my mom was fit to be tied.   Down the hall in the laundry room, he had pulled the baskets off a low shelf and filled them all.
         Used to opening cabinet doors and drawers by pulling with his paws,  so owner could reach in with a grabbit  tool, back her chair away, and him then shutting  doors -   he emptied every lower kitchen and pantry cabinet onto the floor when Mom and Dad were out having iced tea with neighbors one evening.  Sat there real proud,  tail  wagging and going ruff, ruff in the most engaging way,  while my parents tried hard not to laugh.  My friend's dog, so I got to clean the mess-  otherwise they would have been upset.

And, 2-3 times a day, toilet flushing.  Each bathroom. We had 5.  And had swing doors  with auto-levers.   Spenser  had been trained to hit small wall and floor mounted push levers that operate electric doors for the handicapped,  as well as his own doggie door.

You had to be there.  We figured out for ourselves, everything but the toilets, since he would come in through a hall or bedroom and flush -AHH  scalding someone in the shower!

I called the program trainer who was then working in Stowe.  He said,  Spenser,  like a cat, would rarely reach up and under things to operate them,  but would continue to bat or push or pull  at something that did not work,  until the behavior extinguished itself.

So we did as he said for the toilets, and cut sections of an old bathmat, about 8 inches wide and duct taped it to the tank back, so it hung forward over the flush lever by 7-8 inches.  We would reach up under to flush,  dog would push at the furry rubber backed mat and get nothing.   Simple, but it worked.

For the other problems, all our bedrooms had lever handles, so there are to this day little drill holes on every door frame where  hook and eye latches  were added, and all kitchen cabinets down low had hardware removed.  But the bathrooms had been a puzzle.

Now in his 15th year of service, loyal and loving, to one grateful owner.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from clashfan. Show clashfan's posts

Oh man he did not like that!  Did a little test juggling of the handle and he is currently stalking about shaking his paw and looking at me indignantly.  Does not appear to care for the taste of the vaseline either.

I can't watch to see what his reaction is while he is making the flush attempts.  He knows he isn't supposed to be doing it so he stops the moment he hears me coming. 

This may be just the thing to deter this behavior permanently.  So simple.  Thanks pinkkittie!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from clashfan. Show clashfan's posts

Wag-

wow what an amazing dog!

My kitty doesn't use the toilet as a litter box, although it would be quite convenient if he did.  I've never had much luck getting a cat to do something I wanted it to.  Especially this cat, the smarter they are the harder they are to train.  Mostly I just stick to keeping him from off of the kitchen counters and table.  Lucky for me Maine Coons are not big jumpers so as long as I don't put something near the counter he can climb on he stays down.

Always in the past the squirt gun method of cat deterrent/training has always worked wonders.  I soaked him solid a couple of times when he was still a kitten and he just didn't care.  Big surprise to me when I discovered that water resistant fur was simply part of the breed.

Really interesting advice the trainer gave.  Even if I don't use it on this I will keep that in mind for other things he tends to get into.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Coins and flushing, no, that would not be good.  Pingo is right, you can just go do it and then switch it back if he prefers the extra flushes! ;)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from clashfan. Show clashfan's posts

Just as a last update on this the Vaseline has totally worked.  He hasn't even attempted a flush since he the first time when he got his paw gooey.  I've cleaned off the handle at this point and have left just one little spot of Vaseline on it.  This is just for smell purposes as I did notice him smelling it.

He has now gone back to sleeping on the bath mat, which was a favorite place for him until we had to start keeping the door closed 24/7.  

Oh and Tequilagirl I have found that this breed does come with some unique training issues due to size and intelligence.  I will admit to letting him do a couple of things as a kitten just because it was so cute that I now regret.  No hope of changing that behavior now.    

One of the biggies involves the fridge.  I keep his food in the fridge and he knows this so when it's time to eat that's where he heads.  When he was a kitten and I would open the door he would stand up and peer inside while I got his food ready.  Just adorable.  I knew it would was a bad idea but let him do it anyway.

Fast forward to full grown monster cat poking around in the fridge for special plastic treats.  He loves to chew on anything plastic, could care less about the food.  So if you pull out a package of cheese or something it more than likely has chew marks on it.  Just a story to illustrate that you have to begin as you mean to go on.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Pinkie, had to laugh at your "scat mat" suggestion. I am one to get up at night to p**. I do not turn on light in order not to wake up my hubby. Usually I am half asleep, so a "scat mat" would not work for us. Ouch!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Oh and Pink, I can relate to your cat getting old and grumpy and wanting what she wants when she wants it.  You could be talking about me! : )

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I hope the vaseline works! No cat likes being gooey.

ambergirl- too funny! our cat has recently decided that 6:00am is when she'd like to be fed, even though we feed her at 8:00am. One morning she just started meowing her head off. I thought something had to be wrong with her. But she just wanted food. She's 13 or older (not quite sure since she's adopted) so I think she's just turning into a grumpy old lady who wants what she wants when she wants it. ;)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Mm, if the landlord pays the water bill that's a great idea.

(Wag, I missed the photo before, what a cuttie!  Love those big, floppy, curly-haired ears.)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I'd try the double stick tape. You can also try vaseline. We had a problem with one cat that woudln't stay off a certain shelf where my mother kept fragile collectables. One day, she wiped it with vaseline. The minute the cat touched it, it was very displeased. Especially when it tried licking the gunk off it's paws. it took a few days of vaseline on the shelf, but the cat stopped jumping up there.
    Wipe the handle with vaseline, then just use a bit of toilet paper when you need to flush.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I just read this thread and LOL'ed throughout at all these antics. :)

I am also the owner of 2 cats (one of whom is pretty mischievous and also likes to poke his head in the fridge - I've almost squashed his head with the fridge door numerous times not realizing he was right there) and all I can wonder, Clash, is - what will Sebastian decide is his next fun activity that will drive you nuts?! 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

can you put a "scat mat" on the toilet to keep the cat from jumping up on the toilet?
    they also make a double-sided tape that cats hate the feel of on their paws.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

He's adorable, and what a service dog!!  You never think about making the bed...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I agree!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

YAY, Clash - so gald it worked.  I'd like to reiterate that pinkkittie ROCKS!!!