Toilet flushing cat

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: Toilet flushing cat

Clash, on a different note. If you tell your landlord that your cat flushes your toilet all day long, and that is SO MUCH WASTE OF WATER. Then ask him to change the flushing mechanism,  he might consider it. Water is expensive these days.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Clash,
    No need for your landlord to replace it. It is an easy DIY project. Go to HD or Lowe's - whichever you live closest to and pick up the stuff and change it yourself. If you can change a light bulb, you can do this too. It is only the flushing button, not the entire flushing mechanism. Peace of mind. Good luck!
    But first I would try Kar's suggestion. May work.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Cat's are crazy:

Cat

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pinkkittie rocks!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Yippee! Glad it worked! I can't take credit for it, that's 100% my mom's trick.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

After awhile, the can of coins itself was a deterrant.  I could just leave it in plain sight and she wouldn't do the thing it was a reminder for.  Maybe use the can...get it?  Toilet?  Can?  I crack myself up!!!  (I know, probaby just myself!)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from clashfan. Show clashfan's posts

Actually Kar's suggestion won't work for my panther.  He has no fear of noise, he would see that can as a new toy and then I would get the flushing and the sound of rattling coins at 3am.

Unusual for a cat not to start at a loud noise but in his case it would need to be an airhorn.  He is quite the character.

I will look into the DIY concept still have to clear it with the LL though.  He freaks if we do "improvements" without his consent.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

This is hilarious - maybe not for you though. How about changing the flushing mechanism? Instead of the "handle" our friends have a push-in button. One really have to push hard. I don't think a cat will be able to do it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I had a cat Bandit who loved to jump on the kitchen counter at 5:00 in the morning and press down our electric can opener.  The first time she did it, I thought it was a smoke alarm or something and jumped out of bed in a panic.  When I went into the kitchen, there she was looking at me with her paw holding down the opener.  I couldn't believe it...  I got her off the counter and went back to bed.  The next night she did the same thing.  She always got fed when I got up at 6:00.  Guess she wanted to get fed earlier.  I had to keep the can opener unplugged all the time.  Oh and the crazy cat loved water.  Would jump in the shower if she got in the bathroom with you and she wasn't a maine coon either.  Just a really smart and funny cat. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

I have no advice, but laughed and laughed when I read this. It just sounds too cute for words. When my cat was a kitten, I think we went thru at least 100 rolls of toilet paper. I would come home from school and it would be EVERYWHERE, all over the bathroom, the hallway, shreds all over the upstairs.

I don't know what made her stop....

and no, if cats don't want to listen, they won't.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

kar "(Wag, I missed the photo before, what a cuttie!  Love those big, floppy, curly-haired ears.)"

Photo came through first as a red dot.   Yes, a handsome little dog,  considered a "throwaway"  by the breeder, because the runt of a litter  and a testicle short,  with toenail problems.

My friend was recovering from injuries from a fire when this trainer who scouted shelters,  haunted breeders for "worthless"  dogs
    called and said - found the smartest, most personable  little cutie in the world  to train  as your aide  dog.    A remarkable trainer, and it has given my friend years of far more independence and less frustration  than anyone could know.

His cute looks and small but not yappy way  make him more acceptable to people who never saw a service dog, except seeing eye.

The trainer is this quiet guy,  but it is his observant nature-  knows so much about the natural behaviors of a dog or cat or small monkey, what you can shape to do some new thing,  how to sop bad bevior with no punishment  beyond an occasional scolding, or a Time Out  sitting with no eye contact.

My friend holds 1 corner of a fitted sheet, and Spenser (for Hire)  in booties on the bed-  grabs the tabs sewn on corners and spreads the sheet out,  because you cannot spread a double bed sheet using 1 hand and sitting in a wheelchair.   That kind of simple brilliance.

Dominant  shrimp, too - 15 pounds,  and by walking back and forth, 1 single bark, then sitting upright, he can get my obstreporous 5 pups to do a subservient crouch, head on paws.   All over 100 pounds!

My DH says Spencer gives him an inferiority complex when he visits-  they won't do that for Hubby.   And DH is  cute, in his own way.  Really.  At least, I think so!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

vaseline is tough to wash off. you need to use the dishsoap, the grease-cutting kind, or lemon juice.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Pinkkittie sometimes our Mom's really do know best!

But don't tell them that, they would be insufferable.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from clashfan. Show clashfan's posts

pinkkittie- unfortunately he is a Maine Coon so he can reach the handle without standing on the toilet itself.  The double sided tape is not a bad thought I might try that.

Pingo- changing the flush mechanism is a great idea.  Maybe I should just let him really go at it and break the toilet so my landlord will replace it.  
    And yes it was funny at first especially when you are alone in the house and all of sudden hear the toilet flush.  Thought I had some strange ghost until I caught him doing it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I don't know if it will work for cats, but our dog doesn't like sudden, loud noises so we use a can with a few coins to deter her from bad behavior.  A couple of sharp shakes and she learns not to do whatever it is she's doing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from clashfan. Show clashfan's posts

Liz- 

Oh trust me it was a RIOT for a little while when this started.  I'm home all day with him though and he is obsessive about it.  Just doesn't get bored and could flush it for hours.  But since he's smart he also knows it's a pretty good way to get my attention.  I've had quite a few cats before, one in particular when I was a teenager and all have been pretty smart.  Cats by their very nature are mischievous and for this we love them.  This is the first pure breed cat I've had and I have to say he is more like living with a panther rather than a cat.

If you include the fact that he is 21 pds and is about the same body size as a bobcat well let's just say it's a good thing that Maine Coons are a gentle breed.

I've had to overcome a few obstacles along the way.  He destroyed 3 cat trees before I broke down and bought a 142 pd 6 ft tall treehouse.  Problem solved he can now climb to his hearts content.

The toilet flushing must stop however it's making me mental.  I did run in and put vaseline on the handle per pinkkittie's suggestion and I have left the door wide open.  

When is afternoon nap is finished I'll let you know the result's.  Sebastian does not like his fur to be dirty in anyway so I'm thinking that might really work.